Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2010   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Another DB bites the dust

First we had Bennett playing a lights out rookie campaign, only to horrifically disappoint his sophomore year. His decline continued until his eventual release

Then we had Will Demps play a half season so well that he was a probowl alternate. He got a nice deal and then fell off the planet.

And finally, we have Bernard Pollard, who almost single handedly came in and saved our defense last year.

This year? I have made numerous excuses for him. Mostly because of his good tackling ability and high intensity. But tonight I saw him play poorly in every single aspect of the game.

-Pollard overran multiple plays
At least three times I saw Pollard take horrible angles or completely over pursue his man. This led to guys having easy cutbacks and picking up huge chunks of yardage

-Pollard does not communicate well with LBs or other DBs
At least twice I saw Pollard and a defensive back and/or LB both out of position at the same time. He is supposed to be the safety, play complementary to the other players. Instead he seems to be almost useless in double coverage situations

-He seems unaware on defense in many passing situations
He's always a step out of place. He had two key passing situations that he totally blew. The first was the Tamme touchdown. The guy hasn't played for the Colts all year. And he comes in and completely tricks Pollard. Then on a crucial 3rd down, Pollard plays so far off Tamme that he allows not only an easy catch, but an easy first. That TE into the flats route was obvious.

His tackling seems to have gotten worse.
He is taking bad angles and overpursuing.
And his coverage is suspect.

At least Wilson showed up tonight
Old 11-01-2010   #2
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another DB bites the dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I guess Wilson is the exception to the rule....
Old 11-01-2010   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I guess Wilson is the exception to the rule....
He's completely inconsistent and always has been
Old 11-01-2010   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He's completely inconsistent and always has been
Well, yes. Inconsistent in that he's actually okay sometimes as opposed to consistently hot garbage.
Old 11-01-2010   #5
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
First we had Bennett playing a lights out rookie campaign, only to horrifically disappoint his sophomore year. His decline continued until his eventual release

Then we had Will Demps play a half season so well that he was a probowl alternate. He got a nice deal and then fell off the planet.

And finally, we have Bernard Pollard, who almost single handedly came in and saved our defense last year.

This year? I have made numerous excuses for him. Mostly because of his good tackling ability and high intensity. But tonight I saw him play poorly in every single aspect of the game.

At least three times I saw Pollard take horrible angles or completely over pursue his man. This led to guys having easy cutbacks and picking up huge chunks of yardage

At least twice I saw Pollard and a defensive back and/or LB both out of position at the same time. He is supposed to be the safety, play complementary to the other players. Instead he seems to be almost useless in double coverage situations

He's always a step out of place. He had two key passing situations that he totally blew. The first was the Tamme touchdown. The guy hasn't played for the Colts all year. And he comes in and completely tricks Pollard. Then on a crucial 3rd down, Pollard plays so far off Tamme that he allows not only an easy catch, but an easy first. That TE into the flats route was obvious.
Pollard is just running low on tacklin fuel.... He needs a to rewatch the Waterboy, and man did he get lucky with that no late hit call.

We lucked out from the refs tonight, but all for not.

By the way I thought Dallas Clark was out on IR, but he was playing tonight........ What, that wasn't him...... but..... who....... Tammy, Tammy who, I don't know any Tammy, T A M M E, who, Tammy was the Tight End for the Colts. OOHHHH Tamme......... Wait, what....... who, Tamme? Who, no..... really..... NOOOO, get the ****** out of hear. Really, stop f-ing with me, that wasn't Dallas.... OK, OK, really, some guy Tamme???? OK so he was like a big deal in college right, like 4,000 yards recieving??? No?, OK 2,000 yards, a what, he was a blocking Tight End??? You gotta be F-ing kidding me.. Uh OK....
Old 11-01-2010   #6
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a reason he was cut by one of the worst teams in the NFL and sat unemployed for 3 weeks before we signed him. He was great last year, but his weaknesses are showing up this year. Big time.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #7
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 23872 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

His tackling seems to have gotten worse.
He is taking bad angles and overpursuing.
And his coverage is suspect.

I read some where that Bennet will sign with the Titans in 3 years and go to the Pro Bowl for like 10 years in a row with Babin.

Good thing HWWWNBN didn't go to the Tacks!!!!
Old 11-01-2010   #8
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm past trying to blame it on the players. I blame the coaching.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

well matho mattically we are still in it

but looking at the Depth chart who do yall want

Troy Nolan or Dominique Barber playing

i say Nolan its time for a CHANGE B-Burnt its time to hit da bench
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I noticed Pollard just doesn't bother to play the ball in coverage, all he has to do is turn & look at least if not an INT he could bat the ball down. He needs to play back in a deeper zone & keep the play in front. I beleive the coaching staff is having him play too close to the line of scrimmage (to help the LB's & corners) which limits his ability to react to the ball in flight, & be the centerfielder, otherwise he's just fighting to stay glued to his man, who seems to have a step or two on him. If I had to guess his forty time he would be around a 4.6-4.7 & that's fringe cover speed to say the least.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #11
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 116054 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Pollard is too busy "trying to knock the piss" out of people. He flat out misses tackles by trying to launch himself.

Over aggressive athlete syndrome.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #12
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree Pollard has been a lot of talk with little production. He isn't even doing much to stop the run.

Overall I think our corners played their best game this year. KJ made several plays on the ball. Pollard is starting to become a liability in pass coverage.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #13
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
well matho mattically we are still in it

but looking at the Depth chart who do yall want

Troy Nolan or Dominique Barber playing

i say Nolan its time for a CHANGE B-Burnt its time to hit da bench
I'm gonna take the easy way out and blame the coaches/GM

Haven't really had a safety worth a dang and we've done little to upgrade it. Sorry, drafting Barber in the 6th(?) and Nolan in the 7th doesnt count as really trying to upgrade. Wilson and Pollard are what they are. (Wilson cut from Bucs and Pollard from Chiefs) There was a thread awhile back talking about how many of the very good/great teams have a good/great safety.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #14
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

To his credit, Wilson made some great plays. Even so, he's very inconsistent. I'm not sure why Nolan isn't getting out there more. He can't be worse than Wilson and he may actually get a pick.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #15
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Claim Randy Moss and put him at CB

/half-kidding.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #16
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
I'm gonna take the easy way out and blame the coaches/GM

Haven't really had a safety worth a dang and we've done little to upgrade it. Sorry, drafting Barber in the 6th(?) and Nolan in the 7th doesnt count as really trying to upgrade. Wilson and Pollard are what they are. (Wilson cut from Bucs and Pollard from Chiefs) There was a thread awhile back talking about how many of the very good/great teams have a good/great safety.
The Colts just kicked our ass with a third string strong safety.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #17
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
The Colts just kicked our ass with a third string strong safety.
Yup, that's the Colts. We are not the Colts(or Titans or Patriots). We don't have the ability to plug in Joe Blow off the street like these teams are able to do and who seemingly get results from them.

Unless you are talking about the Colts being a good team without a good safety. Well they do, but they are injured, but I refer you back to point 1.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
Yup, that's the Colts. We are not the Colts(or Titans or Patriots). We don't have the ability to plug in Joe Blow off the street like these teams are able to do and who seemingly get results from them.

Unless you are talking about the Colts being a good team without a good safety. Well they do, but they are injured, but I refer you back to point 1.
Lets not forget their 3rd string RB who averaged close to 7 yards a carry against us

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read