Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2010   #1
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AP: McNair ordered "Sweep" of locker room

By CHRIS DUNCAN
AP Sports Writer
HOUSTON (AP) _ Houston Texans owner Bob McNair ordered a sweep of the locker room to make sure none of his players are using banned substances.
USA Today first reported the Texans had staff members remove any products from lockers that are not approved by the NFL. Two of Houston's players _ left tackle Duane Brown and linebacker Brian Cushing _ served four-game suspensions for different violations of the league's policy on banned substances.
McNair says Friday he wanted to take a step to provide a ``deterrent'' for future violations. He says the Texans have the right to control players while they're in the team's facilities.
Brown will return from his suspension when the Texans (4-2) play at Indianapolis (4-2) on Monday night. Cushing sat out Houston's first four games.

THOUGHTS??
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #2
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AP: McNair ordered "Sweep" of locker room

I'm betting that if someone is using they are not doing it in/near the locker room.
I'm not sure how much this does except give them some props for trying to ensure the team is clean.
Texas T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #3
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like a smart step. The list of banned substances in the NFL is 3 feet long. If I were him I would ask the players to run everything they take by the team's experts to insure they don't "accidentally" take anything they're not supposed to.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping someone else isn't about to come down with a suspension...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 208960 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Sounds like a smart step. The list of banned substances in the NFL is 3 feet long. If I were him I would ask the players to run everything they take by the team's experts to insure they don't "accidentally" take anything they're not supposed to.
I've never understood the concept of going against company rules. If you want a job, follow the rules, else go elsewhere for a job. If not, you get what you get. If a player wants to take something, there is no reason why they can't run it past management first to make sure it's OK. I just don't understand, I really don't.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #6
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yeh that's what this smells like to me. Why wouldn't this have come down right after the Duane Brown thing.

Was this sweep just recently?

This scares the crap out of me with the timing!!!!!

I think Turk's been juicing.............
Old 10-29-2010   #7
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 45235 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Yeh that's what this smells like to me. Why wouldn't this have come down right after the Duane Brown thing.

It may be that they were double checking the legality of it under the rules with the NFLPA.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2010   #8
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 49664 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, at least the players now know the owner is watching....

Would that make McNair a Watchmen?

By Day...

But By Night...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #9
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Kinda gives me the creeps.... I remember barracks sweeps too well.

I'm hoping he gave players a heads up about this and then is doing it for PR.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
They are already supposed to do this.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #11
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer

Quote:

Doubtful - the sweep was a month ago. More likely a reaction to DB's (and Cushing's) situations.
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:

A "sweep," for me, makes for a very suspicious air that "someone" is suspect in following "the rules."

BTW, the locker room is the logical place to "load up" as you need it during long practices. Also keep in mind that banned supplements can easily be replaced in NFL-approved benign-labeled supplement bottles. Unfortunately, as I have found out to be the case with criminals and addicts, things are not always as they seem. If there is a reason to hide........look inside.
Old 10-29-2010   #13
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe this could very well be a move orchestrated by the NFL. Houston had two high profile players suspended recently, and the move makes sense.

As far as giving notice, that would defeat the purpose would it not? The players should know it is a possibility at any time. Just like a student in high school, or if you rent a locker in the train station.

Cloak brings up a very good point though. It would be nice if they took samples of any supplement that they themselves did not issue. But then again, without total control of it, nothing is for sure.
Old 10-29-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude, that was the first thing that was going through my brain as I was reading the OP... I hope not!!
Old 10-29-2010   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

A bit of the thought process that led up to this, and if you're inclined to buy it, perhaps some hope that it's not a precursor to another suspension...

Quote:
"We were discussing Duane's situation, which was different from Brian's, to see what we could do to try to prevent a recurrence," McNair told John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. "We have control of the players while they're at our facility, but when they go home, you don't know what they might do.

"We're trying to do everything we possibly can do to avoid a recurrence of somebody using a product that has something in it they were unaware of. We concluded that one thing we could do was to go through the locker room and make sure players are using products approved by one of the [NFL-approved] manufacturers. . . . I asked [G.M.] Rick [Smith] to do that, and he did."
link
Old 10-29-2010   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My first thought. Unless they've heard something this seems like a strange move coming so far after the fact. It makes me wonder if somebody is about to get suspended for four games.

If that happens I don't know how the Texans escape the label "Stupidest Team in Football".
Old 10-29-2010   #17
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansdrummer View Post
Doubtful - the sweep was a month ago. More likely a reaction to DB's (and Cushing's) situations.
Got a link to anything verifying the timeframe?
Old 10-29-2010   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Everybody can keep worrying!

Quote:
Over the years, McNair said players have received countless warnings about PEDs and the league's policy from coach Gary Kubiak, general manager Rick Smith, team trainers and the team nutritionist.

Even so, McNair said the locker room sweep turned up some products that could include banned substances. He wouldn't identify the players or substances involved in the cases -- and there are no other known cases pending with the league regarding violations of the policy.
LINK
Old 10-29-2010   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Got a link to anything verifying the timeframe?
Quote:
A team spokesman said the sweep took place about a month ago. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the sweep "is a club matter."
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ned-substances

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 10-29-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2010   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Everybody can keep worrying!

Over the years, McNair said players have received countless warnings about PEDs and the league's policy from coach Gary Kubiak, general manager Rick Smith, team trainers and the team nutritionist.

Even so, McNair said the locker room sweep turned up some products that could include banned substances. He wouldn't identify the players or substances involved in the cases -- and there are no other known cases pending with the league regarding violations of the policy.

LINK

Wow....

How dumb or careless do you have to be as a player to still be doing stuff like that?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read