Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2010   #1
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Need Some Help With The Logic

I'm looking through the numbers, and saw some similarities between the first six games and next six games.

Discounting the awful game against Dallas, the Texans are 4-1 against teams that are a collective 20-13, with only Oakland having a losing record at 3-4. Add in Dallas, and they are 4-2 against a collective 21-18.

Over the next 6 games (IND, SD, JAX, NYJ, TEN, PHI) the opponents are a collective 23-17, not that different from the collective of the first 6 opponents. In fact, it includes two teams (SD and JAX) that have losing records similar to DAL and OAK.

So considering that it is the general concensus that the defense cannot play any worse than they have been playing (in other words, they can only get better because they can't get worse), why do you guys think that the wheels are going to fall off over the next 6 games?

I realize that they have to play the games, and each opponent is different, yada, yada, yada. I just keep hearing about how much more difficult the season will be from this point forward, but I'm not seeing it from an opponent record point of view. Nor do I see it from having to be on the road for four of those games, because the team has clearly played better on the road this year than at home. Nor am I seeing it from an opposing QB perspective, because the team already faced the Mannings, Romo and McNabb. Outside of Manning and Rivers, is there a QB in the next six games that really worries you?

So help me out. What makes the next 6 so much harder than the last 6? Not saying the team couldn't go 0-6. Just wondering why this is considered the 'tough' part of the schedule.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #2
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Need Some Help With The Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
I'm looking through the numbers, and saw some similarities between the first six games and next six games.

Discounting the awful game against Dallas, the Texans are 4-1 against teams that are a collective 20-13, with only Oakland having a losing record at 3-4. Add in Dallas, and they are 4-2 against a collective 21-18.

Over the next 6 games (IND, SD, JAX, NYJ, TEN, PHI) the opponents are a collective 23-17, not that different from the collective of the first 6 opponents. In fact, it includes two teams (SD and JAX) that have losing records similar to DAL and OAK.

So considering that it is the general concensus that the defense cannot play any worse than they have been playing (in other words, they can only get better because they can't get worse), why do you guys think that the wheels are going to fall off over the next 6 games?

I realize that they have to play the games, and each opponent is different, yada, yada, yada. I just keep hearing about how much more difficult the season will be from this point forward, but I'm not seeing it from an opponent record point of view. Nor do I see it from having to be on the road for four of those games, because the team has clearly played better on the road this year than at home. Nor am I seeing it from an opposing QB perspective, because the team already faced the Mannings, Romo and McNabb. Outside of Manning and Rivers, is there a QB in the next six games that really worries you?

So help me out. What makes the next 6 so much harder than the last 6? Not saying the team couldn't go 0-6. Just wondering why this is considered the 'tough' part of the schedule.

I think it's their defense that make us worry. We Don't play well against 3-4 Defense, and we will be seeing alot of that. Alot of the teams we are about to face are not finesse teams like we are, they are tough smash mouth teams that we have loosing records to.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #3
sandman
All Pro

Rep Power: 50409 sandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respectedsandman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
I think it's there defense that make us worry. We Don't play well against 3-4 Defense, and we will be seeing alot of that. Alot of the teams we are about to face are not finesse teams like we are, they are tough smash mouth teams that we have loosing records to.
Ah, I was looking at it from the perspective of being able to stop (or at least hold) the other team enough to let our offense do its thing. Didn't consider that it the offense that is at risk over the next 6 games.

How strongly do you feel about that, with having the running game seemingly solidified, Brown back on the O-line and AJ/OD doing their thing again?
Old 10-29-2010   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We Don't play well against 3-4 Defense, and we will be seeing alot of that.
We have played 4 3-4 defenses so far - KC, Oakland, Washington and Dallas. We are 3-1 against 3-4's this season so far.
Old 10-29-2010   #5
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1370 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll might get some negative rep for saying this, but a lot of people here have been conditioned to expect failure. It's not entirely their fault. This team has had a unique knack for getting people's hopes up and then swiftly disappointing them over the years. Even people outside of Houston, such as TV and Radio "analysts" have observed this. I believe one of them said that this franchise is the "biggest tease in the NFL".

The Oilers, from what I gather (I'm a bit too young to have watched many games first-hand) were kind of similar. Some of those teams were loaded with talent, hall of famers even, but constantly fell short of expectations. Football fans in Houston have become so accustomed to under-achievement that they have been psychologically conditioned to expect it.

If we're going to be rational, this is a very talented team with a glaring weakness. Our record is 4-2, and we're very much in the mix for a shot at the postseason. Maybe not a great chance, but a decent one. But fans that get their hearts broken constantly have difficulty being rational. The expectation that the wheels are going to fall off is an emotional reaction, and it's one that I completely understand. You can't blame them for feeling that way.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #6
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
We have played 4 3-4 defenses so far - KC, Oakland, Washington and Dallas. We are 3-1 against 3-4's this season so far.
Good 3-4 defenses! Like Dallas.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #7
sandman
All Pro

Quote:
Noticed that only the WAS game where the running game did not have a big day. Sounds like Foster may be our best defensive player over the next several games, eating up the clock with ball control.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2010   #8
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
The ones that really scare me are the Jets, Ravens, and Eagles and I base it on history. Those 3 teams are just a bad matchup.

But this last weekend in the NFL reminded me that anything can happen on any Sunday.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #9
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oakland runs a 4-3.
Old 10-29-2010   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good 3-4 defenses! Like Dallas.
Well depends. On yardage Dallas was good, Oakland and KC mid pack and Washington poor (of course we contributed to that).

On points (and we hung a bunch of points on folks) - KC #7, Skins #9, Raiders #26 and Cowboys #27.

Good catch nero - forgot Oakland went back to 4-3 so drop that one out.
Old 10-29-2010   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think losing Demeco Ryans for the remainder of the season will have a bigger effect on the defense than the 4 games Cushing was out.

I hope the DL continues to improve, we need that pass rush desperately.

I think the Secondary will continue to improve. We're so young back there that I expect slow and steady improvement. I don't think we'll be exceptional by any means but they should improve as they get comfortable and more experience.

With that said, I don't believe in the thought process that "we can't get any worse". I hear that a lot and simply don't believe it. Just because we're 32nd in the league in this stat or that doesn't mean we can't regress. We've allowed the 7th most rushing TDs (6) and we've allowed the 2nd most passing TDs (14). Who's to say we don't give up 25 TDs over the next 6 six games as opposed to 20 for the first 6 games?

We're also allowing 27.8 points per game, good for 4th worse in the league... that CAN get worse... it doesn't have to get better.

Indy, San Diego, Tennessee, Philadelphia and the Jets are all ranked in the Top 10 of scoring Offenses. Those are 5 of our next 6 opponents.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #12
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just like every other team, the Texans struggle with GOOD defenses, period. There are just as many bad 3-4 defenses as there are good ones.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it's their defense that make us worry. We Don't play well against 3-4 Defense, and we will be seeing alot of that. Alot of the teams we are about to face are not finesse teams like we are, they are tough smash mouth teams that we have loosing records to.
It is simple we just can't do it. Our 4 Olinemen have to overwhelm their 3 Dlinemen giving Schaub time to find his guy. With our talent we should feast on 3-4 defenses. We have Rbs that can pick up a blitz this season.
Old 10-29-2010   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The only matchups that bother me are the smashmouth teams, as stated before, Jets, Ravens, Titans and Jags just because they play over their heads against the Texans. That's 6 games against D's that typically eat the OL alive, leave no room for any RB and no time for any solid pass attempts. It's neat to see that our opponents combined W/L record is a winning one AND that we're still 4-2, with no conference or division losses. Just worried about how the offense fares when the toughest D they've seen thus far has been the Giants in one game.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 84986 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
The only matchups that bother me are the smashmouth teams, as stated before, Jets, Ravens, Titans and Jags just because they play over their heads against the Texans. That's 6 games against D's that typically eat the OL alive, leave no room for any RB and no time for any solid pass attempts. It's neat to see that our opponents combined W/L record is a winning one AND that we're still 4-2, with no conference or division losses. Just worried about how the offense fares when the toughest D they've seen thus far has been the Giants in one game.
I understand the playing over their head thing, but you do realize that Jackonsville is 30th ranked in the league in overall defense, in the mid-low 20's in both rush and pass defense and has given up more points per game than any other team in the NFL (yes - even than ours)?

I realize they were no great shakes last year, and we coughed up both games, but I'm just saying that the idea that the 2010 Jaguar team has anything even resembling a legitimately stout NFL defense is pure fallacy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read