Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 11-03-2010   #41
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Mocks "BYE" Week

WOW, how bout' them Texans after playing Colts, do their needs change? Newly aquired DE Mark Anderson had the Texans only sack, Eugene Wilson played one of his best games to date as Texans FS, but Duane Brown & the OL in general blew. So here is a follow-up of information, for those interested, on Ben Ijalana -

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=OG

this is from Mayock-

Quote:
Ijalana, a 6-4, 320-pound tackle, is a four-year starter at Villanova.

He's projected by CBSSports.com as the fourth-best prospect at guard for the 2011 NFL draft, behind Florida State's Rodney Hudson, Florida's Mike Pouncey, and Miami's Orlando Franklin.

Mayock said most NFL teams gave the Wildcat a third-round grade.

"He's barely 6-foot-4, but he's got long arms," said Mayock, who thinks Ijalana is suited to play left tackle in the NFL. "He's got real good feet. And in a pass-first league, he's the kind of tackle teams are looking for."
Scout, Wes Bunting-

Quote:
Small schooler is dominant
Watching the Villanova/Richmond matchup this weekend was fun on a couple levels because when you get these two teams together the overall talent level is good enough to definitely compete and even beat a fair amount of the FBS teams that are out there. But, from an NFL prospect type view, there is also one guy who is really starting to shine above the rest and that’s ‘Nova OG Benjamin Ijalana. Ijalana is a big, 6-4, 320-pound kid who can bend and block with leverage in the run game as well as sit into his stance and anchor vs. the pass. However, he really stood out on the move to me this weekend when asked to pull, get out to the second level as he absolutely demolished downhill attacking defenders with a compact punch and powerful leg drive. But, like any small-school prospect, he is raw, especially as a pass blocker and has a tendency to simply stand upright off the snap, extend his long arms and lock out. However, he’s a good enough athlete to certainly be a player in the NFL — I see him more as a guard — as he still has a lot of upside to his game. His athleticism, physical skill set and willingness to finish blocks and dominate are all NFL-worthy attributes and he looks like a dirty starter (year two starter) at the next level to me at this stage.
I watched a little of Nova's National Championship game last year & Ben really stood out to me as a legitimate NFL LT. He dominates his competition (not elite level) like Ryan Clady did at Bose State, he also pancake's opponents. When creating this mock, I always beleive in addressing the trenches early, as you can read from the scouts most project him as one of the better OG prospects but with issues Texans had @ both tackle positions stopping that Colt pass rush Texans still need to address Matt Schaub's protection, especially if Rashad Butler (3rd. rd. pick of Carolina)leaves via free agency, Kubiak "he deserves a big contract from someone" meaning the cost is too high for Texans to resign him? He should also grade out higher by Texans because he is the athletic, versatile lineman they covet.

Just my insight as to why in the hell I would spend another 3rd rd. pick on the OL.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010   #42
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
WOW, how bout' them Texans after playing Colts, do their needs change? Newly aquired DE Mark Anderson had the Texans only sack, Eugene Wilson played one of his best games to date as Texans FS, but Duane Brown & the OL in general blew. So here is a follow-up of information, for those interested, on Ben Ijalana -

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=OG

this is from Mayock-

Scout, Wes Bunting-

I watched a little of Nova's National Championship game last year & Ben really stood out to me as a legitimate NFL LT. He dominates his competition (not elite level) like Ryan Clady did at Bose State, he also pancake's opponents. When creating this mock, I always beleive in addressing the trenches early, as you can read from the scouts most project him as one of the better OG prospects but with issues Texans had @ both tackle positions stopping that Colt pass rush Texans still need to address Matt Schaub's protection, especially if Rashad Butler (3rd. rd. pick of Carolina)leaves via free agency, Kubiak "he deserves a big contract from someone" meaning the cost is too high for Texans to resign him? He should also grade out higher by Texans because he is the athletic, versatile lineman they covet.

Just my insight as to why in the hell I would spend another 3rd rd. pick on the OL.
Are you concerned about the following since we now have a good running games?
Mayock said. "You would rather see him be more aggressive in the run game, because he's borderline, height-wise." As a result, Mayock doesn't think Ijalana blocks well enough to play right tackle or guard in the NFL. But "he's fortunate because he's got the natural gift of long arms and good feet," the draft analyst said. "

If I was to use a 3rd on an Olineman to replace Butler I think he'd have to be able to play OG at least and probably RT. I am used to college LTs being converted to RT not the other way around.
Old 11-03-2010   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Are you concerned about the following since we now have a good running games?
Mayock said. "You would rather see him be more aggressive in the run game, because he's borderline, height-wise." As a result, Mayock doesn't think Ijalana blocks well enough to play right tackle or guard in the NFL. But "he's fortunate because he's got the natural gift of long arms and good feet," the draft analyst said. "

If I was to use a 3rd on an Olineman to replace Butler I think he'd have to be able to play OG at least and probably RT. I am used to college LTs being converted to RT not the other way around.
His run blocking has improved, in my opinion, to the point he is dominant, but take that with a grain of salt because of the compeition he lines up against. However he appears to have become decisive in his assingments & seals off the edge or interior very well, good enough to fit here in either position. not a concern to me at all, the only thing I worry about is his stock flying into the 2nd rd.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-03-2010   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
His run blocking has improved, in my opinion, to the point he is dominant, but take that with a grain of salt because of the compeition he lines up against. However he appears to have become decisive in his assingments & seals off the edge or interior very well, good enough to fit here in either position. not a concern to me at all, the only thing I worry about is his stock flying into the 2nd rd.
As always, I trust your evals but I am not going Oline until I see how Duane and Eric do the remainder of the season. Let's pray we can remove Oline from our needs. I am also hopeful Butler may be re-signed economically. This surprises me as I've not been a fan until he stepped in for Brown. I would really prefer to draft all D and maybe throw a QB in.
Old 11-03-2010   #45
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As always, I trust your evals but I am not going Oline until I see how Duane and Eric do the remainder of the season. Let's pray we can remove Oline from our needs. I am also hopeful Butler may be re-signed economically. This surprises me as I've not been a fan until he stepped in for Brown. I would really prefer to draft all D and maybe throw a QB in.
I'm not sure about my eval sometimes myself but your right about one thing - the Texans will need to throw in a QB if they don't address the OL

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 11-03-2010   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'm not sure about my eval sometimes myself but your right about one thing - the Texans will need to throw in a QB if they don't address the OL
Did you hear the Schaub is now calling himself David?
Old 11-04-2010   #47
beerlover
Site Contributor

if Badboy lets me....I'll progress with my "BYE WEEK" picks

would like to add some information on 2nd rd. selection Temple FS Jaiquawn Jarrett. The reason I went so early with this position is A) Texans need B) It's not a deep class. If Troy was the answer he would be playing. Eugene Wilson had his best game I can remember against the Colts & demonstrated how a FS needs to support CB's, but I still question his ball skills & ability to wrap up in the open field. Even if the Texans draft FS high in the draft it's not neccesarily a good idea to start a rookie in the secondary, example Kareem. Eugene still begins the season as starter but when he gets banged up, as he does, Jaiquawn gets his shot & unlike Nolan doesn't relinquish PT.

from scouts notebook, Wes Bunting
Quote:
Senior safety has improved
I’ve been on the Jaiquawn Jarrett bandwagon ever since I first saw the Temple safety as a sophomore back in 2008. At 6-0, 197 pounds, he plays with impressive body control and balance in his drop, is fluid when asked to get in and out of his breaks and does a really nice job playing the football in the deep half of the field. Overall, he looked liked one of the cleanest athletes in space in the safety class and showed enough to warrant a potential starter grade based off his summer tape. However, he looks to have improved his game even further this season answering two big questions I had about him coming into the year.

1. Can he improve as a tackler?
2. Can he improve his overall feel in zone coverage recognizing routes and getting earlier jumps on the football?

And so far up to this point the answer has been yes on both counts. He looks more physical attacking downhill in the run game, as he takes good angles, sees what he hits and has displayed a little more thump as a wrap-up guy. And when asked to play in zone, he’s doing a much better job feeling routes develop around him and quickly closing on the football. Now, the one knock on him is that he isn’t the most explosive of straight-line athletes and lacks idea make-up range, which is true, as he doesn’t look like a guy who will run in the low 4.4 range. However, I certainly think he is fast enough because of his ability to cleanly redirect and change directions to make plays in an NFL secondary, as he looks like one of the top senior safety prospects in the nation in my opinion.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2010   #48
beerlover
Site Contributor

Default Re: Texans 2nd rd. pick

nice article on FS Jaiquawn Jarrett - http://www.owlsports.com/news/2010/1...118104258.aspx

Quote:
“What Jaiquawn brings to the team is unbelievable,” D’Onofrio said. “He’s a tremendous leader. He’s not a guy who’s naturally vocal in front of a big group, but he does whatever he has to do to help get the team ready. The biggest thing he does is lead by example with his preparation, the way he practices, and obviously the way he plays on gameday. He’s been a security blanket here for us for four years.”

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-04-2010   #49
beerlover
Site Contributor

Texans have lost 5 out of their last 6 falling to 5-7 since "BYE" week (which was supposed to be "IMPROVEMENT" week). My pre-season prediction of 8-8 is still in play however Texans will need to win 3 out of 4 to finish @ .500

what to do

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 12-04-2010   #50
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texans have lost 5 out of their last 6 falling to 5-7 since "BYE" week (which was supposed to be "IMPROVEMENT" week). My pre-season prediction of 8-8 is still in play however Texans will need to win 3 out of 4 to finish @ .500

what to do
Texans at 5-7 currently.
Remaining Schedule:
Ravens
Titans
Jaguars
Broncos

I see them losing to the Ravens. The D is too good and Flaco can sling the ball. A very balanced team.

For the Titans game, Collins returns. He could shred our D. I see them losing.

For whatever reason, the Texans play the Jags well. I see the Texans managing to get the W here.

Broncos are a weak team. They don't really have anything besides a run game. I see the Texans winning here.

So, I am predicting a 2-2 finish and a 7-9 record. 7-9 will earn Kubiak another year, but Bush will be replaced.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read