Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2010   #1
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Is winning the division the only way to make the playoffs?

After watching more and more AFC games this week I don't see us making the playoffs unless we win the division..

AFC East:
Jets
Patriots
Dolphins

AFC North:
Steelers
Ravens

AFC South:
Colts
Texans
Titans

AFC West
Chiefs
Chargers

That leaves about 6 teams up for 2 wildcard slots in the AFC.. gonna be rough..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #2
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is winning the division the only way to make the playoffs?

yes! i believe so.
Old 10-25-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

It's our best way but not the only way. That's why wether people want to think so or not, this win over The Chiefs was pretty big IMO. Now we got a tie breaker on those guys. Be great if we could remain undefeated in AFC.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

W-L columns will change next 10 games. We gonna be alllrrightee
Old 10-25-2010   #5
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
After watching more and more AFC games this week I don't see us making the playoffs unless we win the division..

AFC East:
Jets
Patriots
Dolphins

AFC North:
Steelers
Ravens

AFC South:
Colts
Texans
Titans

AFC West
Chiefs
Chargers

That leaves about 6 teams up for 2 wildcard slots in the AFC.. gonna be rough..
I was thinking the same thing before I saw this post.

Tough competition in the AFC. For better or worse the texans at this point at least control their destiny with who they play and a shot at winning the division. Unlike last year the texans need to win games in the next stretch of division games.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #6
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1265 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

I would lean towards the division losers between the Jets/Patriots and Steelers/Ravens getting the 2 wild card spots, meaning that yes, we need to win the division.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #7
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

i think it may take 12 wins to get a wild card this year.
Old 10-25-2010   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

There was a 6 way tie for 5/6th place going into week 17 last year. I don't think it will be much different this year. Just gotta take care of business.
Old 10-25-2010   #9
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahmark View Post
i think it may take 12 wins to get a wild card this year.

I can't imagine the wild card with 12 wins. We're all going to be playing each other in the next 10 weeks, so every game definitely counts.

I'm thinking 10 games won't be enough, & it's going to take 11 wins.

I know it's "only" one game, but there's a big difference between 12 & 11, a big difference between 11 & 10... a big difference between 10 & 9.
Old 10-25-2010   #10
utahmark
markbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I can't imagine the wild card with 12 wins. We're all going to be playing each other in the next 10 weeks, so every game definitely counts.

I'm thinking 10 games won't be enough, & it's going to take 11 wins.

I know it's "only" one game, but there's a big difference between 12 & 11, a big difference between 11 & 10... a big difference between 10 & 9.
new england missed the playoff's with 11 wins a couple of years ago. between balt, pitt, ne, and nyj. you pick one of those teams that won't win at least 11 games. one of them may not but i would'nt bet on it. balt would be my pick if i had to guess one.

last year at this time i was saying 9 wins might get a spot. it's diff this year.
Old 10-25-2010   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Not the only way, but Kubiak's keys to success for the season were win in the division, be more physical and overcome adversity. Only one is quantifiable, and based on how the season has gone to date, it is the only one that matters for this member.

As much as I want to be aesthetically pleased, it does take a back seat to the goal - playoffs. Damn you St. Mora!
Old 10-25-2010   #12
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 37686 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

All those teams have to play each other twice and many have only seen a few of their division rivals once. We still have 5 division games. There aren't any teams running away with their divisions so far, so likey a 9 or 10 win team will make it as a wild card.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #13
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1892 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking in hypotheticals, if we go 11-5 and miss the playoffs I will be furious but I will not call for Kubiak to be fired.

Most likely way I see this happening is for the Titans to win the division since imo they are built to beat us and the Colts. Then, Ravens beating us and getting in on the tiebreaker, with NE getting in at 12-4.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #14
utahmark
markbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
All those teams have to play each other twice and many have only seen a few of their division rivals once. We still have 5 division games. There aren't any teams running away with their divisions so far, so likey a 9 or 10 win team will make it as a wild card.
ne, nyj, and pitt are all 5 and 1. if you want any of those teams to go 10 and 6 you need them to be 500 ball clubs the rest of the way. i don't see any of those teams going 5 and 5 the rest of the way. it's up to balt who is 4 and 2.

it's either up to us to catch tenn.(who i believe is just as good as those 4 teams) or one of those(balt maybe) to collapse. I don't see us going to the playoffs if we don't win at least 11 games and that may not be enough. it's going to be a tough year to get in.

they have already had some games against each other and they are not all in the same div so they don't all play each other twice. i think you were talking about just the div teams.
Old 10-25-2010   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
new england missed the playoff's with 11 wins a couple of years ago.
Yes and it was notable because it happens so rarely just like it was rare for an 8-8 team to make the playoffs as happened that year as well.
Old 10-25-2010   #16
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1265 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it may take 11 wins this year also. Too bad we aren't in the NFC. Would probably get in with 9 over there.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

There's a lot of football left to play. The best way to go about making the playoffs is to try and win every single game left on the schedule. It's not going to happen of course but if they will quit with the sleep-walking performances and stay focused they have a chance to win 10 or 11 games and that's going to be good enough.
Old 10-25-2010   #18
utahmark
markbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yes and it was notable because it happens so rarely just like it was rare for an 8-8 team to make the playoffs as happened that year as well.
thats true. and i said the same thing to people last year who were saying that it would take 11 wins last year in thread pretty much like this one.

this year you have 4 superbowl quality teams coming out of 2 div. that does'nt happen often and that's why i think this year is diff.
Old 10-25-2010   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 156011 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think we have a better chance of beating the Colts than we do of beating the Jets, Ravens, or Steelers. So I guess I think winning the division is our best bet.
Old 10-25-2010   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
new england missed the playoff's with 11 wins a couple of years ago. between balt, pitt, ne, and nyj. you pick one of those teams that won't win at least 11 games. one of them may not but i would'nt bet on it. balt would be my pick if i had to guess one.

last year at this time i was saying 9 wins might get a spot. it's diff this year.
I would pick the NYJets. Baltimore's 9 wins last year was legit. We've seen the Jets "breakdown" last year..... I'm thinking it will happen again.

I can't think of 7 teams in the AFC that I think will win more than 10 games.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read