Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-20-2010   #1
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected
Default JaMarcus Russell Works in Houston for 2nd Chance In NFL

Full article at http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...-chance-in-nfl
Quote:
HOUSTON - Former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell remains confident in his ability, convinced he will get a second chance in the NFL and remains committed to turning his football career around when he spoke with FOX 26 Sports Wednesday in Houston.

Russell has been working for the past two and a half months with former NBA head coach John Lucas in Houston.

As a player in the NBA Lucas had his own share of issues and has developed a tremendous track record for helping troubled athletes get back on track.

"He said he saw the devil and been back," Russell said. "Anybody that can get themselves out of that situation I think can go and tell me about it and warn me from the things he did done wrong and make sure I don't make those same mistakes.

"He came to Mobile, Alabama, take time out of his schedule just to come get little old me. I kind of say he's like my angel. God brought him to me."

The Raiders released Russell in May after three unsuccessful seasons in which he compiled a 7-18 record as a starting quarteback.

"I went and got him," Lucas said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "What I saw in him was me 33 years ago when I was out (playing in the NBA) in Golden State. "His troubles started there and so did mine after I left the Houston Rockets.

"I saw a lot of common denominators. We were both number one (overall draft) picks, but JaMarcus is working hard and doing really good."

One blip on Russell's radar concerns his arrest in Alabama in July for possession of codeine, a controlled substance.

However during a hearing in August a friend of Russell's took responsibility for mixing a drink with codeine that was found in Russell's home.

To date no one connected to the case has been indicted.

"That's something that's long gone," Russell said. "Guys in the NFL that came back had some things more serious than that. I think that's a minor setback."
All I can really say is I wish he had this type of dedication going into the NFL. He would have never been in this position had he been dedicated to playing professional football and improving himself as a quarterback. I think the guy should give the UFL a shot to show that he is dedicated to football, not money, and that he still has potential. It seems like he is hellbent on playing in the NFL, and only in the NFL...and I can't really bring myself to wish him well, but I do hope he at least gets a shot.

He does look considerably slimmer in this video.
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: JaMarcus Russell Works in Houston for 2nd Chance In NFL

I forgot he even existed.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #3
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3280 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I forgot he even existed.
Well he does, and he is in Houston...and your guys' backup QBs suck...and if Matt Schaub ever goes down....

...you guys see where I'm going with this right?
Old 10-20-2010   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Well he does, and he is in Houston...and your guys' backup QBs suck...and if Matt Schaub ever goes down Kubiak will re-activate himself before he puts Russell on the field..
Finished it for ya'...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #5
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Interview Lady: "There are 32 teams in the NFL..."

Jamarcus: "31."
Old 10-20-2010   #6
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Finished it for ya'...
But...but...Kubes can't throw a ball 70 yards on his knees!!!

The dude has a chip on his shoulder, thats for sure. When asked by the reporter what he would say to the 32 teams out there about how he's changed, he "corrected" her and said 31 .
Old 10-21-2010   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I get the impression he's not a Raiders fan.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-21-2010   #8
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I get the impression he's not a Raiders fan.
Hell, he should be our #1 fan after all that cash we gave him for doing practically nothing .
Old 10-21-2010   #9
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1291 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hell, he should be our #1 fan after all that cash we gave him for doing practically nothing .
I feel your pain!
Old 10-21-2010   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

john lucas is one of hte nicest guys you'll ever meet. good luck to JaMarcus Russell.
Old 10-21-2010   #11
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well the Texans did work out Defensive Tackles yesterday....maybe he's on to something...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If Russell gets his head togeather, and thats a very big IF, he could be a player. There have been stranger things happen in the NFL than Russell making a come back. Just stack this one on the "I'll believe it when I see it" file.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

People are different.

Some people play football their whole lives, because they're good at it. They are treated special if they are really good, from a very early age. Can you imagine the life of the starting QB at the leading party school in the USA?

So imagine being treated uber "special" & then getting millions upon millions to be treated uber "special" on a whole other level.

Around the high school age.. definitely during the college years, football becomes a means to support a certain lifestyle. I don't fault guys who enter the NFL for the money. Not even a guy like Jamarcus. I don't respect them or anything, but you definitely won't hear one condescending remark from me.

But he was able to continue that "party" life after college because of the money he was given, & just like in college, he really didn't have to do much to get it. I don't think he was a guy who played the game, because he wanted to prove anything, to be known as one of the best, to win a championship, to lead a team...

If he's got something to prove & wants back in, I'll watch & cheer him on. But if wants to come back because his nest egg is drying up... I won't have to watch long.
Old 10-21-2010   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

The dude has a chip on his shoulder, thats for sure. When asked by the reporter what he would say to the 32 teams out there about how he's changed, he "corrected" her and said 31 .
Cause a 70 yard bomb from your knees is a great NFL skill...Al Davis is a nut, BTW.
Old 10-21-2010   #15
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

I saw the interview last night on inside the NFL.

- still won't admit to drug usage
- still doesn't or won't admit what went wrong with his NFL career
- refuses to play in the UFL
- refuses to play anything but QB..

Again the guy is shutting out all avenues of showing that he's committed to doing whatever it takes to play the game he says he wants to play...
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #16
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17946 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That right threse shows me he had'nt changed much! If he had changed he would have recognized that the Raiders wanted and picked him number one over all, Invested alot of time and money on him and he threw it all away. If he had changed he would recognize he screwed up not the raiders and maybe he would show some respect for a team who once believed in him.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

The dude makes Vince Young look like a Rhodes Scholar by how dumb he is. IMO, an NFL QB must have the brains to be successful. Russell is a moron with a few talents that will end up wasted due to not taking advantage of yet another free ride for an athlete through College.

*Disclaimer: Dunno if I made sense or not, don't care. Got too much on my mind right now
Old 10-21-2010   #18
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Cause a 70 yard bomb from your knees is a great NFL skill...Al Davis is a nut, BTW.
Can't say I disagree with you. I wasn't into CFB back in '07 when Russell was drafted, so I'm not sure if people expected Russell to be a #1 pick or if it was just Davis being Davis and reaching for a project player. What I do know is the Raiders skipped on players like Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson & Patrick Willis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
That right threse shows me he had'nt changed much! If he had changed he would have recognized that the Raiders wanted and picked him number one over all, Invested alot of time and money on him and he threw it all away. If he had changed he would recognize he screwed up not the raiders and maybe he would show some respect for a team who once believed in him.
I partly blame the Raiders for what happened with Russell. Like thunderkyss said, Russell has been treated differently throughout his entire life...and that didn't change when he was in Oakland. The guy was given an extremely long leash and he had a different set of rules set aside for him than the rest of the team. I'm pretty sure the Raiders knew about his codeine addiction, but they kept it a secret. When JaMarcus would show up late for practice, the Raiders would make an excuse. The guy was heavily spoiled in a dysfunctional organization that was desperate to find their next franchise QB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
The dude makes Vince Young look like a Rhodes Scholar by how dumb he is. IMO, an NFL QB must have the brains to be successful. Russell is a moron with a few talents that will end up wasted due to not taking advantage of yet another free ride for an athlete through College.
Well, judging by the guys' wonderlic scores, he's "smarter" than quite a few NFL QBs.

Quote:
40 - Alex Smith
39 - Aaron Rogers
39 - Eli Manning
38 - Charlie Frye
37 - Tony Romo
36 - Drew Bledsoe
35 - Matt Leinart
35 - Kellen Clemens
33 - Tom Brady
33 - Steve Young
32 - Joey Harrington
32 - Patrick Ramsey
32 - Sage Rosenfels
31 - J.P. Losman
31 - Matt Schaub
30 - Phillip Rivers
29 - Brady Quinn
29 - Rex Grossman
29 - Marc Bulger
29 - Matt Hasselbeck
29 - Troy Aikman
29 - John Elway
28 - Drew Brees
28 - Peyton Manning
27 - Kyle Boller
27 - Ryan Leaf
26 - Jay Cutler
26 - Kyle Orton
26 - Carson Palmer
26 - Akili Smith
25 - Ben Roethlisberger
25 - Byron Leftwich
25 - Chad Pennington
24 - JaMarcus Russell
24 - David Carr
23 - Jason Campbell
22 - Tim Couch
22 - Trent Dilfer
22 - Brett Favre
20 - Michael Vick
19 - Tarvaris Jackson
19 - Bruce Gradkowski
19 - Derek Anderson
19 - A.J. Feeley
18 - Daunte Culpepper
17 - Aaron Brooks
17 - Vinny Testeverde
16 - Vince Young (6 on first try)
15 - Steve McNair
15 - Randall Cunningham
15 - Dan Marino
15 - Terry Bradshaw
14 - David Garrard
14 - Donovan McNabb
11 - Marcus Vick
10 - Jeff George
8 - Chris Leak
I'm guessing its his southern drawl that makes him sound dumber than he actually is. Then again, these scores don't mean much at all when it comes to playing QB in the NFL, as you can see by some of the great QBs who scored lower than Russell.
Old 10-21-2010   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can't say I disagree with you. I wasn't into CFB back in '07 when Russell was drafted, so I'm not sure if people expected Russell to be a #1 pick or if it was just Davis being Davis and reaching for a project player. What I do know is the Raiders skipped on players like Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson & Patrick Willis.

I partly blame the Raiders for what happened with Russell. Like thunderkyss said, Russell has been treated differently throughout his entire life...and that didn't change when he was in Oakland. The guy was given an extremely long leash and he had a different set of rules set aside for him than the rest of the team. I'm pretty sure the Raiders knew about his codeine addiction, but they kept it a secret. When JaMarcus would show up late for practice, the Raiders would make an excuse. The guy was heavily spoiled in a dysfunctional organization that was desperate to find their next franchise QB.

Yeah, there was very good talent in the top of that draft, sadly we passed some ourselves for the 14 year old "phoneme" Amobi Zerokoye. They never had a good coaching network, never held him accountable for anything, and he wasn't #1 overall pick material.
Old 10-22-2010   #20
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Señor Stan View Post
Well the Texans did work out Defensive Tackles yesterday....maybe he's on to something...
He's too slow and lacks the upfield quickness to play in our scheme.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read