Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-20-2010   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Texans FA Workout Thread

I wanted to start one big thread since there will undoubtedly be a lot of players we continue to work out. Here is the latest which is really confusing to me, a lot of RBs some QBs and some TEs, mind boggling!

Quote:
Although Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak said the team would begin a lnebacker search after middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans was ruled out for the season with a torn Achilles' tendon, they didn't try out any linebackers on Tuesday.

The Texans worked out several running backs, though, including Javarris Williams, Alphonso Smith, Clifton Smith, Chris Jennings and Louis Rankin, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

They also worked out former Denver Broncos quarterback Tom Brandstater and former San Diego Chargers quarterback Jonathan Crompton as well as tight ends Rob Myers and Derek Schouman.

The Texans plan to work out some players today, including a defensive lineman.
Link

Last time I checked Foster was leading the league in rushing and Ward continues to make plays, are we going to cut Steve Slaton?

We invested a good amount in Dan-0 to be the back-up and Kubiak praised the other Matt earlier this week.

TEs, we have another thread about Open Daniels and we all know Dressen is reliable, this one really confuses me.
Old 10-20-2010   #2
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Texans FA Workout Thread

This just makes 0 sense, on why they would waste their time looking at obvious areas that we don't need help in.

RB/QB/TE has to be our strongest position right now..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #3
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm thinking this is more about special teams then spots on the offense.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #4
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
This just makes 0 sense, on why they would waste their time looking at obvious areas that we don't need help in.

RB/QB/TE has to be our strongest position right now..
Aren't you the same person that asked this question last week and was told by several people that this is something every team does and it does not speak to intentions or needs but rather is a product of pro-personnel scouting?
Old 10-20-2010   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I'm thinking this is more about special teams then spots on the offense.
Exactly. With the loss of Demeco, a guy like K. Bentley or D. Sharpton have to move up from ST to play and therefor that leaves a void on the ST unit.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #6
JWarren14
Beer Me

Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected

I get that we need extra bodies on Special Teams to take those duties away from an already banged up LB corp, but I would rather have more LBs on ST rather than say a TE, and I would rather have more FS/S/CBs on ST rather than RBs. We need bodies on Special Teams that may also help compete to better our defense.
Old 10-20-2010   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Anybody that gets Steve "Slow Down" Slaton off of Kick Return is a big help to our team.
Old 10-20-2010   #8
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Anybody that gets Steve "Slow Down" Slaton off of Kick Return is a big help to our team.
Damn, I just really think Holliday could've made a huge impact in this part of our game.

Too bad he's on IR.

IMO I'd start looking at a speedster like McCain to get reps there.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #9
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Aren't you the same person that asked this question last week and was told by several people that this is something every team does and it does not speak to intentions or needs but rather is a product of pro-personnel scouting?
And again I would say this is a complete waste of time for us to be scouting QB/TE/RB rigiht now, if they brought in DL/DB/LB's I'd be like ok that makes sense..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Damn, I just really think Holliday could've made a huge impact in this part of our game.

Too bad he's on IR.

IMO I'd start looking at a speedster like McCain to get reps there.
Id put Leech back there. He has been better than Slaton. Or McManis, who has returned kicks in college.
Old 10-20-2010   #11
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
I wanted to start one big thread since there will undoubtedly be a lot of players we continue to work out. Here is the latest which is really confusing to me, a lot of RBs some QBs and some TEs, mind boggling!

Link

Last time I checked Foster was leading the league in rushing and Ward continues to make plays, are we going to cut Steve Slaton?

We invested a good amount in Dan-0 to be the back-up and Kubiak praised the other Matt earlier this week.

TEs, we have another thread about Open Daniels and we all know Dressen is reliable, this one really confuses me.
Appears yesterday was the "offensive only" players workout. Today is the "defensive only" players workout or so says JM
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #12
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Id put Leech back there. He has been better than Slaton. Or McManis, who has returned kicks in college.
Leach can just give the other teams players the stank eye, and they would just move out of the way.

I agree, Slaton is just not cutting it for me either.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are just looking at players in general, always scouting what's out there. You never turn down an opportunity to get better on the field whether it be on offense or defense. They probably also realize that Leinart will be gone next year and that Orlavsky isn't getting any better so why not look at some QB's for the future. I liked Tom Brandstater when he came out in the draft and think that he's got the raw tools for someone to mold into a future playing QB.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #14
honored82
Veteran

Rep Power: 9543 honored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respectedhonored82 is a quality contributor and well respected

Why are we trying the positions the we don't need at all like QB and RB. Do these guys get paid to try out ?
honored82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #15
JWarren14
Beer Me

Today we worked out 3 DTs

Link

Quote:
After bringing in nine offensive players for tryouts on Tuesday, the Texans brought in three more today all defensive tackles.

Damione Lewis, Louis Leonard and Tank Tyler tried out Wednesday at the Methodist Training Center. None was signed.

The players have off this week because Sunday is their open date. They return to work Monday to prepare for their nationally televised game at Indianapolis on Nov. 1.

They will have two roster spots one for injured linebacker DeMeco Ryans and one for waived linebacker David Nixon.
Old 10-20-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, now I'm curious why we didn't sign an LB.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #17
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Maybe because they all looked like ass during their workouts?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #18
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Maybe because they all looked like ass during their workouts?
That's where I'm putting my $$.
Old 10-20-2010   #19
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Im more curious two know why we don't start to prepare for the colts this week. Our D needs all the practice it can handle.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #20
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
Im more curious two know why we don't start to prepare for the colts this week. Our D needs all the practice it can handle.
Right now they need to get healthy more than anything.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read