Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default The path of least resistance....

This is just my opinion. But if I were Kubiak, the thing I would do to fix this thing, would be to fix the offense.

Kubiak is an offensive genius, we've got talent all over the offense: Slaton, Ward, Dressen, JJ, Walter, Owen, Andre & Vontae (that's a football playa right there!), let's keep our defense off the field.

If it works against the Colts, why won't it work against the other 9 teams on our schedule?

I doubt we had as many 3 & outs (on offense) all of last year, as we've already seen this year.
Old 10-19-2010   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: The path of least resistance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This is just my opinion. But if I were Kubiak, the thing I would do to fix this thing, would be to fix the offense.

Kubiak is an offensive genius, we've got talent all over the offense: Slaton, Ward, Dressen, JJ, Walter, Owen, Andre & Vontae (that's a football playa right there!), let's keep our defense off the field.

If it works against the Colts, why won't it work against the other 9 teams on our schedule?

I doubt we had as many 3 & outs (on offense) all of last year, as we've already seen this year.
Why do you think this is happening? We finally have a running game yet we go 3 and out quite a bit. Especially early in games.
Old 10-19-2010   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Why do you think this is happening? We finally have a running game yet we go 3 and out quite a bit. Especially early in games.
Because we don't pass the ball all 3 times, duh.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So far this year weve converted 29 of 68 3rd down conversions for a 42.6% rate. This is good for 8th in the NFL

We've converted 3 of 5 4th downs for a 60% rate. This is good for 8th in the NFL.

We have 131 first downs, good for 4th in the NFL

Last year we converted 82 of 204 3rd down conversions, for a rate of 40.2%. Good for 15th in the NFL.

Last year we converted 8 of 12 4th down conversions, good for 66% and 5th in the NFL.

We had 340 total first downs. Good for 4th in the NFL.

This "downfall" of our offense is greatly exaggerated. We are almost exactly the same statistically as we were last year. Our 3rd down conversion percentage is actually slightly higher
Old 10-19-2010   #5
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 14086 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Because Schaub is a rhythm quarterback and finally with the emergence of a solid running attack in addition, the one throw he might have to make if they are running the ball might be out of sync. When Schaub gets hot, he is one of the toughest to stop, but he can sure be ice cold at times.

HJam was right, if Schaub threw the ball all 3 times, the likelihood of a 3 and out is probably much slimmer, but the turnover ratio climbs up a bit, and you might not kill any time off the clock in the process. Sort of a double edge sword.
Old 10-19-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

This "downfall" of our offense is greatly exaggerated. We are almost exactly the same statistically as we were last year. Our 3rd down conversion percentage is actually slightly higher
I love stats, but they don't tell the whole story, like the real joker said, we don't convert in the first half, and we convert a lot in the second. If you were to track the defenses three & outs, I bet they would align perfectly to when the offense is converting them.

Our problem is that we aren't converting in the first half, our defense is staying on the field & giving up big points. We shut the Redskins down in the second half, slowed the Giants down in the second half, and got two big stops against the Chiefs late in the 4th Qtr. Had it not been for the injury to Demeco, I'm sure we would have stopped the bleeding earlier.

The only game the second half got worse than the first, was when the offense never got started in Dallas.
Old 10-19-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

TK, this is where I have to disagree with you. Our offense is pretty close to where it was last year, but it seems to work harder to get there.

Our defense has been just horrible on 3rd downs, especially early. Now maybe if the offense did better early, it would help the defense. But the defense put the offense in a hole early last Sunday, and that has to put the pressure on, don't ya think?
Old 10-19-2010   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
TK, this is where I have to disagree with you. Our offense is pretty close to where it was last year, but it seems to work harder to get there.

Our defense has been just horrible on 3rd downs, especially early. Now maybe if the offense did better early, it would help the defense. But the defense put the offense in a hole early last Sunday, and that has to put the pressure on, don't ya think?
We held the Cowboys to 10 points in the first half. Their first series against us was a turnover on downs, their second a 3 & out.

The first series against the Giants was a three & out. We allowed 0 points to the Giants when our offense held the ball longer than 3:00.

We forced three punts (two three & outs) against the Chiefs in the first half.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 10-19-2010 at 10:43 PM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

LOUD NOISES!!!

lol
Old 10-19-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

We went into halftime down by seven, getting the ball back to start the third Qtr. We went 3 & out.

I don't think we ever trailed by more than 10 in that game really, that's not big hole.
Old 10-19-2010   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We went into halftime down by seven, getting the ball back to start the third Qtr. We went 3 & out.

I don't think we ever trailed by more than 10 in that game really, that's not big hole.
I think we were down 14 after the chiefs scored in the 3rd
Old 10-19-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I think we were down 14 after the chiefs scored in the 3rd
You're right, I just checked.
Old 10-20-2010   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So far this year weve converted 29 of 68 3rd down conversions for a 42.6% rate. This is good for 8th in the NFL

We've converted 3 of 5 4th downs for a 60% rate. This is good for 8th in the NFL.

We have 131 first downs, good for 4th in the NFL

Last year we converted 82 of 204 3rd down conversions, for a rate of 40.2%. Good for 15th in the NFL.

Last year we converted 8 of 12 4th down conversions, good for 66% and 5th in the NFL.

We had 340 total first downs. Good for 4th in the NFL.

I really like our increased red zone efficiency. We are like eighth in the NFl as of Sunday, but 4-4 should have brought us up.
Old 10-20-2010   #14
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

When teams are constantly smacking us in the mouth by attempting 4th down plays mid-quarter. Midfield even... says a lot.
Old 10-20-2010   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
When teams are constantly smacking us in the mouth by attempting 4th down plays mid-quarter. Midfield even... says a lot.
I honestly don't know why you would punt against us. Every third and long would be a play to get it closer and 4th I would go for it. Our D can't stop a wounded house cat anyway.
Old 10-20-2010   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm Kubiak I think I would throw first and run second against certain teams.

I understand having an identity, but this offense can move the ball through the air, especially when they get in a rythm...

I wouldn't go into any specific game trying to establish anything...I would try to see what a defense was weakest at and exploit it...We have the weapons at every position to do so.

Against the Colts...run it down their throats...

Against the Jags, pass it until they get tired of seeing the ball in the air...

Use your TE's and get mismatches on LB's...Just be more aggressive with the offensive play calling and don't wait until the game starts getting out of hand...

Mix in some hurry up early in the game...catch the defense off guard sometimes...just do some different things...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #17
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If I'm Kubiak I think I would throw first and run second against certain teams.

I understand having an identity, but this offense can move the ball through the air, especially when they get in a rythm...

I wouldn't go into any specific game trying to establish anything...I would try to see what a defense was weakest at and exploit it...We have the weapons at every position to do so.

Against the Colts...run it down their throats...

Against the Jags, pass it until they get tired of seeing the ball in the air...

Use your TE's and get mismatches on LB's...Just be more aggressive with the offensive play calling and don't wait until the game starts getting out of hand...

Mix in some hurry up early in the game...catch the defense off guard sometimes...just do some different things

I feel this. When they start the game in "script mode," they've rarely
scored on it due to the lethargy. The Texans offense has almost
no energy in the first quarter. We need that urgency on the very
first drive.
Old 10-20-2010   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
first drive.
I'm cool with the script...I've been on a two high school and 1 college team where we used a scripts...

It never hampered our offense...

But that doesn't mean they can't go hurry up with it, or go script some hurry up in...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
first drive.
With OD back.... & if Jacoby keeps working with his hands.. I don't think we'll have to worry about starting slow anymore.

At least I hope they won't.
Old 10-20-2010   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
With OD back.... & if Jacoby keeps working with his hands.. I don't think we'll have to worry about starting slow anymore.

At least I hope they won't.
I love me some Owen Daniels but I wouldn't bank on him for too long. 3 ACLs is trying to tell us something... I guess I see it as... anything Owen gives us is just gravy but the Texans gotta remember to keep Dressen warm in the meantime.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read