Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2010   #1
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14
Default Work Out: Alphonso Smith, RB

Not sure if there is an all-encompassing work out thread, but I just saw this.

Quote:
The Houston Texans are auditioning former Arizona Cardinals running back Alphonso Smith(notes) today, according to a league source with knowledgeof the situation.

The Texans are also expected to work out several linebackers today after the season-ending torn Achilles tendon suffered by middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans(notes).

Smith started nine games at the University of Kentucky, rushing for 974 career yards and eight touchdowns.

He aso had 28 tackles, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery on special teams and caught 30 passes for 322 yards and two touchdowns.

Plus, he returned 15 kickoffs for a 22.4 average.
Link

Not sure what to think, I guess we need to take Bentley, Sharpton, or Adibi off of special teams to try and prevent further injuries, but....?
Old 10-19-2010   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Work Out: Alphonso Smith, RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Not sure if there is an all-encompassing work out thread, but I just saw this.

Link

Not sure what to think, I guess we need to take Bentley, Sharpton, or Adibi off of special teams to try and prevent further injuries, but....?
Or maybe Slaton is involved in trade talks?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #3
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting, depth or are we finally getting rid of Slaton?

Atm all I want for christmas is a LB that can cover... and a bunch of other things
Old 10-19-2010   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Or maybe Slaton is involved in trade talks?
Two very interesting theories. My gut says its the former but I'd love to see the latter.
Old 10-19-2010   #5
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, if your defense sucks what else would you do? It only makes sense to bring in a RB
Old 10-19-2010   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, if your defense sucks what else would you do? It only makes sense to bring in a RB
I was really hoping we would bring in a kicker.
Old 10-19-2010   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Interesting, depth or are we finally getting rid of Slaton?
Did Slaton ever get on the field Sunday besides returning KOs ?
Is he injured ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2010   #8
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Is he injured ?
I don't think he played other than returning kickoffs and he's not listed on the injury report.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #9
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I don't think he played other than returning kickoffs and he's not listed on the injury report.
He's on the "I suck at returning kicks" report though..

silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
Foster and Ward are better than Slaton, and they can both catch the ball out of the back field. That makes "Speed" Slaton expendable. He could be traded.
Old 10-19-2010   #11
Ben Frank
Rookie

Rep Power: 1431 Ben Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respectedBen Frank is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can do a Slaton for A.J. Hawk.. I'll do it.. Ward has really impressed me, and JJ needs to be on KR anyway
Ben Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
If we can do a Slaton for A.J. Hawk.. I'll do it.. Ward has really impressed me, and JJ needs to be on KR anyway
Yeah, Ward has earned the back up spot. He is a great runner, blocker, can catch, and doesn't give me a heart attack when he has the ball. He can also out run people, which is shocking.
Old 10-19-2010   #13
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were the Packers, I would be asking for Ward for AJ Hawk, not Slaton. Or if it is Slaton, I would want a 5th round pick to go with him.
Old 10-19-2010   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I was really hoping we would bring in a kicker.
I literally had snot fire out of my nose. Thanks, man, I needed the giggle
Old 10-19-2010   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Is he injured ?
He might have been in on some plays, but I did not notice it. My bet is that it's returning only...

So, according to Kubiak, you can't get a roster spot for being a returner only, unless you're VERY special (his words on Holliday).

I'm guessing Slaton is traded/cut to make room for another RB, hopefully a returner too.
Old 10-19-2010   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve Slaton did not play in any offensive plays. If you noticed, our drives didn't stall because of it. It would be penalties that killed us yesterday.

Steve Slaton to Oakland makes alot of sense. Right now, I believe, Mcfadden is showing some injuries and all they really got is Michael Bush. Steve Slaton would be a good back up, and we all know that Al Davis loves speed. You accompany Steve with a pick or two for Asomouagh and that is a done deal and hopefully that solves the secondary issue. By name alone Asomouagh is only going to shut down half the field.

You bring in the Alphonso Smith guy to basically do what Steve did.

You move the guys you got around at the LB position and sign a guy for depth.

In a perfect world.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Alphonso Smith the guy that just ran back that kick for Detroit and did the Carlton?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #18
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Alphonso Smith the guy that just ran back that kick for Detroit and did the Carlton?
You're talking about Alphonso Smith the cornerback
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

If we're really looking at RB's, why wouldn't we bring Jerimiah Johnson back? I reckon he's be healthy by now.
Old 10-19-2010   #20
No More 8-8's
Veteran

Rep Power: 136 No More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respectedNo More 8-8's is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frank View Post
Why would the Packers get rid of AJ Hawk?
No More 8-8's is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read