Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


The National Football League League News & Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010   #1
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame
 
Dread-Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston Texas baby!
Age: 44
Posts: 14,269
Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

When I was a kid watching the Oilers play it was not uncommon to see great QB's like Tarkington, Fouts, Staubach, John Elway, Bernie Kosar, Dan Marino, Mr. Warren Moon and Bradshaw taking bone crunching hits a good five or six seconds after they threw the ball. They only called roughing the passer if it was quite apparent that you were damned near trying to decapitate the guy.
After the death of the Late Great Pete Roselle (May he rest in peace) the league somehow WUSSIFIED. If you run into a QB after he's let go of the ball you're flagged for roughing the passer. Wimps like Eli Manning, and Toni Romo wouldn't have made it in football before the year 2000. Now a new cadre of whiners are crying that precious little receivers are getting hit too hard.
Hmmm. Lynn Swann, Mike Ditka, Chris Collinsworth, Steve Largent,Ernest Givens, Golden Richards, Daryl Johnson, Dwight Clark, Amad Rashad and DOZENS of other guys who played receiver and tight end took hits that still make them wince when they watched them today, yet they're all walking and most of them still speak in complete sentences. My point? Hits are part of football. Men like Dick Butkis, Merlin Olsen, Alex Karras, Jack Hamm, "Mean" Joe Green, Howie Long, Bubba Smith, Rosie Grier, Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, Lawrence Taylor and Deacon Jones in their respective day were delivering hard hits and playing smash mouth football. When they were excessive, they were fined but for the most part the league simply let them play and NEEDS to return to that policy.
If the league keeps wussing things up they might as well make all teams uniforms different shades of PINK, make them wear tiny dresses, and instead of tackling the guy with the ball simply tagging him and then going into therapy with him to talk about your feelings over sympathy tea because he felt you violated his space when you touched him. I THOUGHT this was a man's game.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101019/...to_helmet_hits
__________________
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #2
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,605
Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

As our research into the negative effects of what is at its basest a game continue to unveil some scary, horrific, lasting consequences, the rules and safety have started to change accordingly. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger. Salaries are higher than ever. And for the first time, we have a clear picture of what the lasting consequences of these changes is.

I can't believe people start threads like this. These players are humans first, and nfl players second. Football is still plenty violent, plenty competitive. Are there some sissy calls every once in a while? Absolutely. Would I trade those calls for more paralysis, more permanent brain damage, etc? No. And frankly, I find it pretty depressing that anyone would.

One of the dirtiest players in the history of the game, Rodney Harrison, said that he never took the illegal hit rules seriously until he was suspended. This new rule is going to suspend players who make illegal hits using their helmets and attacking other players head areas. I can't believe you are complaining about that.

Edit: Here are some stats for you:

Quote:
reported more problems with memory, concentration, speech impediments, headaches and other neurological problems
Quote:
20.2 percent said they had been found to have depression. That is three times the rate of players who have not sustained concussions.
Quote:
Alzheimer's disease or similar memory-related diseases appear to have been diagnosed in the league's former players vastly more often than in the national population — including a rate of 19 times the normal rate for men ages 30 through 49.
http://www.nytimes.com/info/concussions-in-football/
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?



Mamby Pamby Land!!
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #4
silvrhand
Site Contributor
 
silvrhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: La Porte, TX
Section: 135J 5-8
Age: 39
Posts: 2,152
Rep Power: 24544 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

It's the concussion guys, come on people can't keep taking shots in the head at the current speed/size/strength these guys are getting. The long term effects are right up there with boxers if not worse now.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #5
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over
 
Goatcheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,089
Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

I think having a round table where players can discuss their feelings after each play would be good for the game. Just think, Mack and that Chiefs DL who grabbed his little guy could have sat down and discussed their feelings(mental you pervs) about the incident.

Just because this is a fight doesn't mean we can't be civil. *stabs helpless guy laying on the ground in the heart with a spear*
__________________

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #6
mootini
1stdown!!!!!
 
mootini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Keystone Heights, FL
Age: 40
Posts: 667
Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post


Mamby Pamby Land!!
Exactly!!!! Hello people this is football....we might as well turn the NFL into flag football.
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 47
Posts: 30,670
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

This thread is sad and pathetic, IMO. These rules are designed for PLAYER SAFETY. But some folks need to see serious injuries for their entertainment fix, I guess.

I also notice those that call it a "man's game" aren't out there taking those brutal hits.
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2010   #8
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame
 
Dread-Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston Texas baby!
Age: 44
Posts: 14,269
Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
As our research into the negative effects of what is at its basest a game continue to unveil some scary, horrific, lasting consequences, the rules and safety have started to change accordingly. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger. Salaries are higher than ever. And for the first time, we have a clear picture of what the lasting consequences of these changes is.

I can't believe people start threads like this. These players are humans first, and nfl players second. Football is still plenty violent, plenty competitive. Are there some sissy calls every once in a while? Absolutely. Would I trade those calls for more paralysis, more permanent brain damage, etc? No. And frankly, I find it pretty depressing that anyone would.

One of the dirtiest players in the history of the game, Rodney Harrison, said that he never took the illegal hit rules seriously until he was suspended. This new rule is going to suspend players who make illegal hits using their helmets and attacking other players head areas. I can't believe you are complaining about that.

Edit: Here are some stats for you:






http://www.nytimes.com/info/concussions-in-football/
Man. It's a good thing I like, respect and admire many people on this board lest I'd be kinda hurt via the questioning of my mental state...which we all know to be questionable. Okay, here goes.

In the course of my life I've had maybe six concussions the last of which I suffered last year while skating. Only ONE of them was football related. My point? Had I never put on pads and a helmet I would have STILL suffered five concussions.

Anyone with half a brain knows that football is a contact sport and there exist a very REAL possibility that you might sustain a head injury OR break a bone. You KNOW that going in and if you don't maybe you should sit back and WATCH the game or simply participate in a sport which doesn't place an emphasis on power and speed.

Last I checked according to Newton's laws: "objects in motion tended to remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside force." If you're that object in motion and I'm that outside force, there is a good chance that (Mass x Acceleration) means there's a pretty good chance that one of us will smart from the collision. As was the case with Mr. Robinson over the weekend we BOTH might be on the ground.
It's the nature of the game. These guys decided to play football knowing that. No one forced them at gun point to play. Helmet to helmet should be done away with, but the fru-fru, girly girl, "You looked at Tom Brady and made him cry" penalties are F'ing up the game.
__________________
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #9
Blake
MMQB
 
Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring
Section: 551
Posts: 10,779
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
When I was a kid watching the Oilers play it was not uncommon to see great QB's like Tarkington, Fouts, Staubach, John Elway, Bernie Kosar, Dan Marino, Mr. Warren Moon and Bradshaw taking bone crunching hits a good five or six seconds after they threw the ball. They only called roughing the passer if it was quite apparent that you were damned near trying to decapitate the guy.
After the death of the Late Great Pete Roselle (May he rest in peace) the league somehow WUSSIFIED. If you run into a QB after he's let go of the ball you're flagged for roughing the passer. Wimps like Eli Manning, and Toni Romo wouldn't have made it in football before the year 2000. Now a new cadre of whiners are crying that precious little receivers are getting hit too hard.
Hmmm. Lynn Swann, Mike Ditka, Chris Collinsworth, Steve Largent,Ernest Givens, Golden Richards, Daryl Johnson, Dwight Clark, Amad Rashad and DOZENS of other guys who played receiver and tight end took hits that still make them wince when they watched them today, yet they're all walking and most of them still speak in complete sentences. My point? Hits are part of football. Men like Dick Butkis, Merlin Olsen, Alex Karras, Jack Hamm, "Mean" Joe Green, Howie Long, Bubba Smith, Rosie Grier, Fred "The Hammer" Williamson, Lawrence Taylor and Deacon Jones in their respective day were delivering hard hits and playing smash mouth football. When they were excessive, they were fined but for the most part the league simply let them play and NEEDS to return to that policy.
If the league keeps wussing things up they might as well make all teams uniforms different shades of PINK, make them wear tiny dresses, and instead of tackling the guy with the ball simply tagging him and then going into therapy with him to talk about your feelings over sympathy tea because he felt you violated his space when you touched him. I THOUGHT this was a man's game.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101019/...to_helmet_hits
Have you actually researched the long term effects of multiple concussions from these types of hits? Its really kind of scary. Read up on players like Merril Hoge.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/1...-story-on-post

I think the NFL owes it to the players to protect them from a few assholes who would rather torpedo tackle and use the helmet as a weapon, rahter than form tackle and use the helmet for what it was intended for, Protection.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #10
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame
 
Dread-Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston Texas baby!
Age: 44
Posts: 14,269
Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
Exactly!!!! Hello people this is football....we might as well turn the NFL into flag football.
Instead of Hank Williams singing "Are ya readyforsome...FOOTBALL!" for Monday Night Football, they should just get Cool & The Gang to sing "Ladies Night."
__________________
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,674
Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

My thoughts exactly....pretty soon defensive players won't even be able to touch offensive players. I get it, concussions are becoming an increasing concern, but it is an unfortunate consequence of playing such a violent game & no matter how much legislation you try to put in, guys will still get them. I agree, stifer penalties will need to be handed out for obvious infractions, but those bang-bang hits where guys are getting jacked up are split 2nd & are a big part of playing defense..as in intimidation.

What i'm more concerned with is this trend of slanting the rules towards offensive players. Nearly every rule or increased attention to a rule in the last 10 or so years has primarily been to help offensive players.

-5 yard jam rule - direct result of Colts WR's complaining about the pats getting too rough with them in the playoffs in 2002..

Horsecollar rule - direct result of Roy Williams' tendency to tackle guys by the collar & finally came to a head when TO broke his leg.

- hitting a qb low - direct result of Brady getting rolled up on by pollard. - this 1 especially ticks me off b/c Palmer essentially had the same thing happen to him years prior & it wasn't until the golden boy got his knee shreaded that the league felt the had to do something about it.

- defenseless WR rule-

& now this..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #12
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame
 
Dread-Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Houston Texas baby!
Age: 44
Posts: 14,269
Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

"Take this pink ribbon off my eyes. I'm exposed and it's no big surprise. Don't you think I know exactly who I am. This world is forcing me to hold your hand. Yes I am just a girl. Poor little old me, so don't let me out of your sight. Oh I am just a girl so pretty and petite so don't let me have any rights.

The moment that I step outside, so many reasons for me to run and hide. I can't do those little things I hold so dear. I can't do those little things...that I fear. Oh I'm just a girl I'd rather not be cause you won't let me drive late at night. Oh I'm just a girl guess I'm some kind of freak cause they often stare with their eyes.

I am just a girl...I am just a girl in the world. It's all that you'll let me be!"


:Quarterbacks and Receivers of the National Football League.
__________________
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 47
Posts: 30,670
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
My thoughts exactly....pretty soon defensive players won't even be able to touch offensive players. I get it, concussions are becoming an increasing concern, but it is an unfortunate consequence of playing such a violent game & no matter how much legislation you try to put in, guys will still get them. I agree, stifer penalties will need to be handed out for obvious infractions, but those bang-bang hits where guys are getting jacked up are split 2nd & are a big part of playing defense..as in intimidation.

What i'm more concerned with is this trend of slanting the rules towards offensive players. Nearly every rule or increased attention to a rule in the last 10 or so years has primarily been to help offensive players.

-5 yard jam rule - direct result of Colts WR's complaining about the pats getting too rough with them in the playoffs in 2002..

Horsecollar rule - direct result of Roy Williams' tendency to tackle guys by the collar & finally came to a head when TO broke his leg.

- hitting a qb low - direct result of Brady getting rolled up on by pollard. - this 1 especially ticks me off b/c Palmer essentially had the same thing happen to him years prior & it wasn't until the golden boy got his knee shreaded that the league felt the had to do something about it.

- defenseless WR rule-

& now this..
The bolded part is the entire point of this rule, IMO. I like big hits and tackles as much as the next guy, but some of them are clearly obvious that there is ill intent behind the hit. I have a hard time believing that a professional player cannot control his technique, so I cannot accept that spearing with helmets is accidental. It's malicious play and should be penalized accordingly.
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
This thread is sad and pathetic, IMO. These rules are designed for PLAYER SAFETY. But some folks need to see serious injuries for their entertainment fix, I guess.

I also notice those that call it a "man's game" aren't out there taking those brutal hits.
Make no mistake, we're not talking about serious injuries, i.e. Patrick Edwards compound fracture at Marshall last season. We're talking about rules that "baby" QB's and receivers. Dan Pastorini played with broken ribs for crying out loud. I think it was Jack Youngblood who once played with a broken leg.

I know concussions are a serious issue as I have been concussed more than a couple of times. I get that head trauma has many lasting effects that may not be realized for years to come. That said, these guys choose to play a violent sport. Truth be told, there are thousands of guys that would give up a testacle to play the game they love so much. It comes with the territory. Don't be the highest payed actor in Hollywood and then ***** because you get mobbed when you go out. It comes with the territory....

Now. After the diatribe I still think the NFL and the NFLPA need to do a lot better job of caring for those guys who gave life and limb to make the game what it is today, without the compensation today's players make.

*gets off *
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #15
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,605
Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
"Take this pink ribbon off my eyes. I'm exposed and it's no big surprise. Don't you think I know exactly who I am. This world is forcing me to hold your hand. Yes I am just a girl. Poor little old me, so don't let me out of your sight. Oh I am just a girl so pretty and petite so don't let me have any rights.

The moment that I step outside, so many reasons for me to run and hide. I can't do those little things I hold so dear. I can't do those little things...that I fear. Oh I'm just a girl I'd rather not be cause you won't let me drive late at night. Oh I'm just a girl guess I'm some kind of freak cause they often stare with their eyes.

I am just a girl...I am just a girl in the world. It's all that you'll let me be!"


:Quarterbacks and Receivers of the National Football League.
I can't tell if youre trolling or if this is your response to a pretty serious debate?

This whole "you're not a man because back in the day..." stuff is pretty absurd. Is there something your insecure about?

Rules change as we learn more about the sport. Thats called evolution of player safety. We didnt know the lasting effects of certain behaviors, therefore there was no reason to outlaw them. Now we know, so we evolve.

Back in the day, we used to paint our houses with lead paint and use asbestos to insulate them. We now know that its dangerous to do so. Therefore we change. We adapt.

I understand the difference. The NFL is dangerous, and its a choice. You aren't forced into it.

However, its also a job. Employers in this country have a legal right to ensure the safest conditions possible for all their employees. Its like that across all businesses.

The NFL today is the best sport on the planet. I dont get what all the whining is about. Speaking of being a man...
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #16
mootini
1stdown!!!!!
 
mootini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Keystone Heights, FL
Age: 40
Posts: 667
Rep Power: 5440 mootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respectedmootini is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Man. It's a good thing I like, respect and admire many people on this board lest I'd be kinda hurt via the questioning of my mental state...which we all know to be questionable. Okay, here goes.

In the course of my life I've had maybe six concussions the last of which I suffered last year while skating. Only ONE of them was football related. My point? Had I never put on pads and a helmet I would have STILL suffered five concussions.

Anyone with half a brain knows that football is a contact sport and there exist a very REAL possibility that you might sustain a head injury OR break a bone. You KNOW that going in and if you don't maybe you should sit back and WATCH the game or simply participate in a sport which doesn't place an emphasis on power and speed.

Last I checked according to Newton's laws: "objects in motion tended to remain in motion unless acted upon by an outside force." If you're that object in motion and I'm that outside force, there is a good chance that (Mass x Acceleration) means there's a pretty good chance that one of us will smart from the collision. As was the case with Mr. Robinson over the weekend we BOTH might be on the ground.
It's the nature of the game. These guys decided to play football knowing that. No one forced them at gun point to play. Helmet to helmet should be done away with, but the fru-fru, girly girl, "You looked at Tom Brady and made him cry" penalties are F'ing up the game.
I skate too...old guys rule! Football is a contact sport, always has... and the question, always will be? What's the fear for WR to go across the middle, knowing he won't be hit? How can you defend this?
mootini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
I skate too...old guys rule! Football is a contact sport, always has... and the question, always will be? What's the fear for WR to go across the middle, knowing he won't be hit? How can you defend this?
Correction. Basketball is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport.
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #18
gtexan02
Working?
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Age: 30
Posts: 15,605
Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mootini View Post
I skate too...old guys rule! Football is a contact sport, always has... and the question, always will be? What's the fear for WR to go across the middle, knowing he won't be hit? How can you defend this?
How does
We are going to suspend players who flagratly use their helmet to spear other defenless players in their helmet

translate to
WRs wont get hit?


There is some huge overreaction going on it seems...
__________________
Drinking the kool aid
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,152
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Instead of Hank Williams singing "Are ya readyforsome...FOOTBALL!" for Monday Night Football, they should just get Cool & The Gang to sing "Ladies Night."
That was awesome!
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 45,309
Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Will the NFL soon start wearing hoop skirts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
The NFL is dangerous, and its a choice. You aren't forced into it.

However, its also a job.
Yup, there are lots of jobs which involve danger and folks voluntarily engage in those occupations - the military, oilfield work, crabbing, etc. Doesn't mean employers shouldn't provide safety equipment and good procedures for safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
How does
We are going to suspend players who flagratly use their helmet to spear other defenless players in their helmet

translate to
WRs wont get hit?


There is some huge overreaction going on it seems...
It doesn't translate to that and this is an overreaction. QBs are still getting hammered with big blows despite defenders not being able to go low or leave their feet and pile drive. The devastating hits stuff is BS because it can't be defined adequately. The helmet to helmet rule isn't even a change and people act like the sky is falling. It's been around for years. The league is just trying to figure out how to make players follow it.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger