Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-19-2010   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coin Toss

OK. I have a question.

We won the toss. And we deferred? I don't get it. With an offense like Houston has, why would you defer? Especially with our defense out there, why wouldn't you go down, try to get points and force the other team to answer? I know we've been inconsisent on offense as well, but it seems to be our best defense. For example, if you score a TD on your first drive this week... does KC go for it on 4th and 3 on the first drive? Do they risk you going down and getting up 14-0?

Maybe you want the ball after the half to answer, I'm fine with that but how do you defer?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #2
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coin Toss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
OK. I have a question.

We won the toss. And we deferred? I don't get it. With an offense like Houston has, why would you defer? Especially with our defense out there, why wouldn't you go down, try to get points and force the other team to answer? I know we've been inconsisent on offense as well, but it seems to be our best defense. For example, if you score a TD on your first drive this week... does KC go for it on 4th and 3 on the first drive? Do they risk you going down and getting up 14-0?

Maybe you want the ball after the half to answer, I'm fine with that but how do you defer?

Mike
Only thing I can think of is that Kubes was trying to show the defense that he still has faith in them to go out there and set the tempo from the start of the game. It failed miserably.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 71741 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I like knowing that we will receive the ball to open the 2nd half.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #4
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Listening to the Coaches show last night on the way home, Apparently Demeco took it upon himself to defer.. Let's just say Kubiak was not very happy about it..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #5
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I'm good with that too. I just don't know why, if we win the toss, we sould defer the option. Seems like we would have a preference. Does Kubes not say to his captains "If we get the toss this is what we want to do"?

Mike

Old 10-19-2010   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Listening to the Coaches show last night on the way home, Apparently Demeco took it upon himself to defer.. Let's just say Kubiak was not very happy about it..
Messes with the script
Old 10-19-2010   #7
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Messes with the script

ROFL! tried to rep ya, oh well... apparently the script on the board prevents that
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2010   #8
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Does deferring mean that you are electing to get the ball in the second half or does it mean you are allowing the other team to choose? And if you defer do you get to pick your side?
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
YUP!! I think that's one of the most important possessions of the game!
Old 10-19-2010   #10
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Does deferring mean that you are electing to get the ball in the second half or does it mean you are allowing the other team to choose? And if you defer do you get to pick your side?
Well the call in the stadium was "houston has deferred, KC elects to receive".

I might have misunderstood that but both me and the person I was at the game with thought the same thing.

Mike

Old 10-19-2010   #11
Coach Kevin
Coach Kevin

Rep Power: 75 Coach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respectedCoach Kevin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
deferring means you are opting to choose the second half. So the other then can choose to defend or recieve for the first half.
Old 10-19-2010   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
YUP!! I think that's one of the most important possessions of the game!
The best part about deferring is when you come out after the half and go 3 and out, like they did against KC. Yeah, awesome plan.
Old 10-19-2010   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
The best part about deferring is when you come out after the half and go 3 and out, like they did against KC. Yeah, awesome plan.
As opposed to going 3 and out to start the game??
Old 10-19-2010   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
As opposed to going 3 and out to start the game??
LOL, point.
Old 10-19-2010   #15
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Kevin View Post
deferring means you are opting to choose the second half. So the other then can choose to defend or recieve for the first half.
Huh?

Maybe I'm reading what you posted wrong but it seems like you're taking the right to choose in the second half.

Are you saying that we elected to let them choose to defend or receive the first half so that we could elect to defend or receive the second half? Would that mean we might let them pick receive in the first half and then we would elect to kick to them again in the second half?

Mike

Old 10-19-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Huh?

Maybe I'm reading what you posted wrong but it seems like you're taking the right to choose in the second half.

Are you saying that we elected to let them choose to defend or receive the first half so that we could elect to defend or receive the second half? Would that mean we might let them pick receive in the first half and then we would elect to kick to them again in the second half?

Mike
No, it means we could, not would.
Old 10-19-2010   #17
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
No, it means we could, not would.
right. I'm asking if that is really an option.

I thought defer meant "we'll pretend they won the toss and let them choose "receive, defend or which end to defend" and then we will pick from whatever is left over.

Mike

Old 10-19-2010   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Huh?

Mike
Yup... In theory, when we deferred to the second half, they technically could have chosen an endzone to defend and kicked off to us rather than recieve the opening kick. Of course no one ever does that, but that is the option.

Likewise, in the second half we could've chosen which endzone to defend and would've had to kick off to them.
Old 10-19-2010   #19
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Did we defer, or did we opt to kick off? If we deferred, then we gave the other team the option to receive, kick, or chose the side they wish to defend(typically due to wind direction).

If we opted to kick off, then other team decides which side to defend, 1st/4th or 2nd/3rd iirc on which sides are defended each quarter.

I like the idea of receiving to start the 2nd half, but that's just me. If the opposing team scores quickly to start the game it may be somewhat demoralizing to the team or put unwanted pressure on the offense early on to match.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read