Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2010   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Special teams/Joe Marciano

Does it bother anyone that our special teams have looked less than Special this year?

I think our coverage has been good for the most part, but we have looked awfully pedestrian in the return game...

It's not like we haven't had our chances.

I wonder what the problem is...returners? unlucky breaks? guys not blocking as well? New rules on kickoffs disallowing the wedge?

Maybe my amnesia is kicking in, but I don't remember us being so bad in the return game in years past....

Then we had to take a timeout this past game because of guys not being on the field...They have just seemed a bit sloppy to me...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #2
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Special teams/Joe Marciano

According to Kubiak, mostly bad blocking. Though that's taking him for his word. Could be "coach speak" and not wanting to call out Slaton.

Some fans would say it's the returner himself.

I'll say it's probably a mix of both.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #3
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post
According to Kubiak, mostly bad blocking. Though that's taking him for his word. Could be "coach speak" and not wanting to call out Slaton.

All I know is that the Chiefs kept kicking off into corners yesterday. I believe to continue to expose Slaton's subpar thinking skills. The laughable part is that Slaton almost bit once again. Sheesh!

Definitely both with all the block in the backs that we like to do.
Old 10-18-2010   #4
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Even if it is coaching, he's had a lot more good years than bad years. I'd give him a pass.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #5
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted about this in another thread:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=33
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #6
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Can someone explain why they were pooch kicking it to us when Slaton struggles to get to the 10???
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #7
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected

I am thinking the ST are suffering due to injuries and pretty big change over in personnel.
Bentley our ST captain has been out.
Andre Davis is lost for the year.
Those are two key guys right there.
We are thin at LB and have had a big turnover in the def backfield too.
Coach marciano will get it squared away.
The bye week is coming perfect time for us.
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-19-2010   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSportsFan09 View Post

I wish I could post video. Slaton has been awful as a kick returner. When he does get blocking, he doesn't have a concept about blocking lanes, and he just wants to try and get outside too soon. There's some blocking issues as well, which has a lot to do with the injuries sustained. A lot of the ST guys are injured and go unnoticed because they aren't in the starting eleven, but it impacts the team. Sharpton, Bentley, Molden come to mind, and probably at least one of our TEs.
Old 10-19-2010   #9
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #10
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
I am thinking the ST are suffering due to injuries and pretty big change over in personnel.
Bentley our ST captain has been out.
Andre Davis is lost for the year.
Those are two key guys right there.
We are thin at LB and have had a big turnover in the def backfield too.
Coach marciano will get it squared away.
The bye week is coming perfect time for us.
Also Holliday getting injured leaving us with a hole at KR.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Special tema have not done much of anything all year.

The return game has been awful...Both punt and Kick return...

Lota of people wanted Jacoby to return kicks, but he's looked as bad as Slaton did earlier in the year...

I'm thinking Trindon has a better shot to make this team next year now...
Old 11-22-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

I will give Kudos for the two blocks this year...the punt black against the Chargers and the field goal against the Skins...
Old 11-22-2010   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

It is starting to seem like returning it to the 20 has become a mini victory. Slaton's return skills were dookie but I think it's worth giving him a screen or two a game, that's what he was deadly on. I dunno, I mean if you're not going to play him at all...as a 3rd round pick...it's time to move on. It's to bad Jeremiah Johnson isn't around...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #14
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I will give Kudos for the two blocks this year...the punt black against the Chargers and the field goal against the Skins...
Plus it looked like they tipped one yesterday on a PAT but it went through the uprights anyway.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #15
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire Joe too..... fire them all, including the interns and janitors.
Old 11-22-2010   #16
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

am i the only one that thinks our blockers on kick returns are set up WAY too close to the returner? the jets kicked fairly short, but jacoby seemed to always be waiting on his blockers. by the time they got going, it was already too late to position for a solid block - letting several guys come free and our wedge hitting nobody (or just creating a pile directly infront of jacoby).
Old 11-22-2010   #17
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 33323 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Fire Joe too..... fire them all, including the interns and janitors.
I'm surprised nobody has commented on our young punter, Matt Turk. He sure is doing a good job bootin' it 50+ yards.

By the way, am I the only one who's noticed Neil Racker frequently kicks a low line drive during kick-offs?
Old 11-22-2010   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Special tema have not done much of anything all year.

The return game has been awful...Both punt and Kick return...

Lota of people wanted Jacoby to return kicks, but he's looked as bad as Slaton did earlier in the year...

I'm thinking Trindon has a better shot to make this team next year now...
Jacoby is doing this thing where he catches the ball and seems to pause for a second or two before taking off. I've noticed it the last couple of games and it's costing him in the return game. He's not getting past the first wave very often doing that. Personally I think he doesn't want to do it and this is his way of telling the coaches he's a full time receiver and this return crap is no longer his cup of tea.
Old 11-22-2010   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
I'm surprised nobody has commented on our young punter, Matt Turk. He sure is doing a good job bootin' it 50+ yards.

By the way, am I the only one who's noticed Neil Racker frequently kicks a low line drive during kick-offs?
yeah, what happened to our kickers? turk hasnt hit a solid ball in weeks and if rackers' kickoffs get much lower somebody in the front wedge is going to start fielding them.
Old 11-22-2010   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
am i the only one that thinks our blockers on kick returns are set up WAY too close to the returner? the jets kicked fairly short, but jacoby seemed to always be waiting on his blockers. by the time they got going, it was already too late to position for a solid block - letting several guys come free and our wedge hitting nobody (or just creating a pile directly infront of jacoby).
You may be on to something...

Kubiak said something was wrong with the blocking on kick returns today on the radio...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read