Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-18-2010   #1
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Scripted plays...are they getting us off to slow starts?

So, I keep hearing that the first 15 offensive plays are scripted.

I'm wondering (and perhaps you football gurus can chime in) if this "playing by the numbers" early on is hindering out team from coming out and making an impact at the start of the game.

This team is notorious for looking a bit lax and unprepared coming into games, and do y'all think that Kubiak scripting the plays is partly to blame?

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Scripted plays...are they getting us off to slow starts?

Kubiak was specifically asked about scripted plays a week or two ago on the radio. He said they're only scripted insomuch is appropriate for down and distance.

So, unless there's another angle I'm not seeing, I can't imagine how they'd be responsible for slow starts.
Old 10-18-2010   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has always scripted plays, but I don't remember the team always looking flat early on...

So no I don't think that has a lot to do with it. Lots of teams (especially west coast type teams) script the opening series of the halves.

And to Nero's point above, Kubiak did say that if something unexpected happens like a sack or a big penalty they will be off the script...They can only stay on script if things are going as planned...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our team looks flat early on because the defense gives up early points and they push it trying to play catch up from snap 1
Old 10-18-2010   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think our team looks flat early on because the defense gives up early points and they push it trying to play catch up from snap 1
This. The offense knows that any one stalled drive can mean a loss, so they are a little up tight early on, IMO.
Old 10-18-2010   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Alot of teams script their opening drives....it's pretty common, so I don't think that has anything to do with anything.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Also, I think we only scored on our opening drive once all of last year... this isn't exactly anything new.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2010   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
On face, that may look to be a logical explanation. However, then you would have to explain a game like yesterday.

My take is that this team has yet to define "urgency."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #9
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
On face, that may look to be a logical explanation. However, then you would have to explain a game like yesterday.

My take is that this team has yet to define "urgency."
Maybe we could tell them we're going to kill a puppy for every drive they don't score on. Take a box of puppies into the locker room before the game with a 5 gallon bucket of water to drop them in. OH, and kittens, too!

Don't have to actually kill them, but the players don't have to know that.

Maybe that will get 'em motivated.
Old 10-18-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the scripted plays are what enables them to make adjustments later on in the game. They run set plays and see how the defense reacts to that formation for that down and distance. It enables the offense to exploit that later. Our offense has been much better in the second half of most games.
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I think the scripted plays are what enables them to make adjustments later on in the game. They run set plays and see how the defense reacts to that formation for that down and distance. It enables the offense to exploit that later. Our offense has been much better in the second half of most games.
Yeah, during the game they showed a graphic where we had scored I think the 4th most points in the second half of games over the past two or three years...

And I think we had actually scored the most 4th quarter points...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #12
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Yeah, during the game they showed a graphic where we had scored I think the 4th most points in the second half of games over the past two or three years...

the most 4th quarter TD's in the league since 2007 is what the graphic said I believe.
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If this is so, then we're dealing with some really slow learners.......ones that should be considered for special education classes rather than a professional football team.
Old 10-18-2010   #14
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post

Quote:
the most 4th quarter TD's in the league since 2007 is what the graphic said I believe.
For the past 2 hours, I was Googling the stat for how many points we've scored in the 4th quarter of a playoff game in the past 3 years.........my browser crashed........finally had to quit.
Old 10-18-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
If this is so, then we're dealing with some really slow learners.......ones that should be considered for special education classes rather than a professional football team.
Well, when you figure we go three & out often, it would take us 5 possessions to get through the initial script. That usually takes about a half for us.
Old 10-18-2010   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 208260 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
This team is notorious for looking a bit lax and unprepared coming into games, and do y'all think that Kubiak scripting the plays is partly to blame?
Great thread topic. I was thinking about the scripted plays after listening to Kubiak's postgame interview. I believe Kubiak realizes that the offense must score early and often to take the pressure off the defense. So while I think Kubiak will still script plays, the scripted plays will be more aggressive.
Quote:
Our offense has been much better in the second half of most games.
I think that has less to do with the game plan, and more to do with the Texans turning the game into an all out pass fest. AJ has taken over the 4th quarters of the 2 come -from-behind wins. He had help from Walter in Washington, and Daniels stepped up against the Chiefs. The Texans talent finally overwhelmed the Chiefs.
Old 10-18-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Great thread topic. I was thinking about the scripted plays after listening to Kubiak's postgame interview. I believe Kubiak realizes that the offense must score early and often to take the pressure off the defense. So while I think Kubiak will still script plays, the scripted plays will be more aggressive.

I think that has less to do with the game plan, and more to do with the Texans turning the game into an all out pass fest. AJ has taken over the 4th quarters of the 2 come -from-behind wins. He had help from Walter in Washington, and Daniels stepped up against the Chiefs. The Texans talent finally overwhelmed the Chiefs.
Dalemurphy posted video from the Giants game, where Matt missed reads, on wide open receivers, whether it was Daniels, Foster, or Walter. Being that was Owen's first game where he looked healthy, I'll give him a pass.

Against the Chiefs, it looked like the same thing was happening in the first. Half. Matt looked determined to get the ball to Aj, and Kubiak was determined to get Foster started.

In the second half, Schaub was finding open receivers all over the place. Check the play-by-play, in the first half, there's like a dozen passes intended for AJ, & a dozen carries by Foster, I think one pass intended for someone else.

& Kubiak was putting Wade in the game at Random times, not waiting for Foster to get winded.
Old 10-18-2010   #18
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are there any football players that shouldnt be considered for special education classes?
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read