Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Leadership

How many of you would like for one of our leaders to step up and have the cajones to call out the D?

I think it would be great if Matt or Andre were to go and say something to the effect of "I know we had a few bad games but our D has really slacked and been the cause for us playing so many close games. I really would like to see them get it together because we need them to be successful"

Or I'd like to hear that Kubiak told the team "Offense you guys come in on Monday and watch film and practice and Defense you guys just take Monday off. You deserved it" Just to get in there head a little.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #2
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
How many of you would like for one of our leaders to step up and have the cajones to call out the D?

I think it would be great if Matt or Andre were to go and say something to the effect of "I know we had a few bad games but our D has really slacked and been the cause for us playing so many close games. I really would like to see them get it together because we need them to be successful"

Or I'd like to hear that Kubiak told the team "Offense you guys come in on Monday and watch film and practice and Defense you guys just take Monday off. You deserved it" Just to get in there head a little.
They are too young to do the day off thing, I think. These guys need every minute of practice/film time available.

Maybe we need one our defensive players to tell our coaches how much our schemes suck.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #3
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer

Quote:

I honestly prefer the fact (given you've listed to the post-game presser) that our defense (Pollard, in particular) said that they can't continue to put the offense in such situations, and that the offensive players (Matt S. in particular) said that there will be games where other parts of the team will have to carry the load in order to realize success.

This is the first season that I've ever sensed that the Texans really truly have a "team" mentality. Calling each other out would be the worst thing possible right now, IMO.
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Our offense was totally inept in our only two losses.

Old 10-18-2010   #5
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Common sense not needed here

Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

we dont need an offensive player to say it, we need a defender. ray lewis or brian urlacher or darren sharper or any elder statesman would do more for this team than any talent or coach. the guy we have saying these things is 26 years old and joined the team in week 3 of last season. my biggest praise in most areas with our youth is my biggest gripe on defense - zero veteran presence. i'm absolutely dumbfounded that we didnt bring back jeff zgonina at very least. demeco's the playcaller, not the "leader" that is needed to influence the team. smith and pollard are wildcards, not leaders. mario has enough trouble getting himself up for each game.

this team needs real age and experience somewhere (anywhere), even if those players are only backups. the coaching problem, like i said last season and carries over this season, isnt from the sidelines - it's from those on the field.
Old 10-18-2010   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, I did see a shot of Mario talking with some other defenders in the fourth quarter with what looked liked an encouraging manner. No, he was jumping up and down, but that's not his personality from what we can tell.
Old 10-18-2010   #8
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 75856 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

So...........if I understand........in those games the Defense was oustanding and we just couldn't get over the hump on offense?

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah, I'll give Andre a call right now and tell him what to do.

Old 10-18-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
So...........if I understand........in those games the Defense was oustanding and we just couldn't get over the hump on offense?

I'm saying if our offense plays the way we know they can play, our Defense would be on the sideline & only need to get us 3 or 4 stops. Our best defense is our offense. It's always been that way, this should be no surprise.

Our defense was whatever it was last year, because our offense handled it's business. & Mario & Amobi & Antonio could play every snap, because they only needed to be out there short periods of time.

They are not built to be on the field all day.

To clarify, after our defense gave up the TD on KC's opening drive, they forced three punts. Our offense scored once, in 4 possessions before KC came out and went ahead by 7.

In the first half (because I haven't looked at the second half yet) Not once, did our offense have the ball more than 2:00 did our defense give up anything other than yardage and punts. They allowed KC to score when the offense went 3 & out running off less than 1:58.
Old 10-18-2010   #11
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29204 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't Pollard call out the D during the press conference?
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Tom View Post
He's been calling out the D, the secondary, & himself all season long.

El Tejano would like for the offense to call out the D, even though they have yet to play to their potential for 4 Qtrs.
Old 10-18-2010   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Tom View Post
He also called out himself, he didn't look good yesterday either
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Well maybe the offense hasn't played 4 quarters but the defense has basically only played 2 quarters the whole season, and that was the first game of the season.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well maybe the offense hasn't played 4 quarters but the defense has basically only played 2 quarters the whole season, and that was the first game of the season.
The D played all four quarters in the Indy game. McMannis giving up a long TD with 1:45 left in the game while up 17 points did not really effect anything. Kubiak just wanted to get the younger guys a bit of experience.
Old 10-19-2010   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

All the leadership on D just went out on a cart. Who's up now? Mario pfft LOL j/k.

Pollard? double LOL.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
To clarify, after our defense gave up the TD on KC's opening drive, they forced three punts. Our offense scored once, in 4 possessions before KC came out and went ahead by 7.

In the first half (because I haven't looked at the second half yet) Not once, did our offense have the ball more than 2:00 did our defense give up anything other than yardage and punts. They allowed KC to score when the offense went 3 & out running off less than 1:58.
I've posted comments like this several times over the last two weeks.

Am I the only one seeing this? Am I the only one thinking this is worth discussing?

The only argument I ever get, is that "you can't expect the offense to come up big every game."

But I'm not even expecting that. I'm expecting them not to go 3 & out on the majority of possessions. Move the ball between the 20s... you know, what we're supposed to excel at.
Old 10-19-2010   #18
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29204 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've posted comments like this several times over the last two weeks.

Am I the only one seeing this? Am I the only one thinking this is worth discussing?

The only argument I ever get, is that "you can't expect the offense to come up big every game."

But I'm not even expecting that. I'm expecting them not to go 3 & out on the majority of possessions. Move the ball between the 20s... you know, what we're supposed to excel at.
It is worth discussing because it's a sign that there's real potential in the defense, so why don't we see that more often? Why do they give up more points and yards than anyone else in the league?
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #19
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Thank god you put it three times because I totally skipped right on by the first two.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post

What am I, in the freakin' military with everything in triplicate, again?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read