Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-17-2010   #1
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If Wade Phillips gets fired...

Get him on this defensive staff ASAP
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Wade Phillips gets fired...

Does he coach 4-3's???
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #3
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Couldn't be much worse.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 143118 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Does he coach 4-3's???
Right now he's coaching a 1-4.
Old 10-17-2010   #5
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

He runs a 3-4. But a good defensive coach is a good defensive coach. It wouldn't take much turnaround in the offseason to convert us to a 3-4. We'd need to find a big NT and another linebacker or two. Mario can stand up or drop into a 3-pt. Cushing would excel.
Old 10-17-2010   #6
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
Touché!
Old 10-17-2010   #7
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Does he coach 4-3's???
Don't think he does, but does it really matter? I know we'd have to change a lot of guys roles and draft towards it but it really cannot get much worse at this point.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2010   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
LOL...

True Dat!
Old 10-17-2010   #9
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime100 View Post
right now he's coaching a 1-4.
LoL
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Don't think he does, but does it really matter? I know we'd have to change a lot of guys roles and draft towards it but it really cannot get much worse at this point.
Yeah it matters...

If Kubes is still the coach, then it matters...

He came in and immediately switched us from a 3-4 to a 4-3...

Don't see him going back to a 3-4 anytime soon.

But hey...stranger things have happened...
Old 10-17-2010   #11
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5047 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering that Demeco is out for the season, would it really be too far outside the box to consider converting to a 3-4? It's not like we are getting much pass rush with 4 guys on the line anyhow.
Old 10-17-2010   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
yeah, it matters big time.
we don't have a massive DT to anchor the middle.
we don't have speed rushers at DE like you need in a 3-4.
our OLBs aren't suited for a 3-4.

and as bad as we're playing D now, do you reeeeeally want to bring in a new philosophy and have them THINKING instead of reacting.

oh yeah, it can get much worse.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #13
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
yeah, it matters big time.
we don't have a massive DT to anchor the middle.
we don't have speed rushers at DE like you need in a 3-4.
our OLBs aren't suited for a 3-4.

and as bad as we're playing D now, do you reeeeeally want to bring in a new philosophy and have them THINKING instead of reacting.

oh yeah, it can get much worse.
News flash. The Texans defense is 32nd in the league out of 32 teams. So no. It really can't get much worse. It really can't.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #14
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
News flash. The Texans defense is 32nd in the league out of 32 teams. So no. It really can't get much worse. It really can't.
Yeah it can get worse. Instead of being the worse team by a big margin, we could become the worse team by a huge margin.

Right now we are able to do enough defensively to allowus to win when our offense lights up the scoreboard.

I'd hate to see a defense that we can't win with even when we score 28+.
Old 10-17-2010   #15
Livid13
Veteran

Rep Power: 31 Livid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respectedLivid13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade freakin' Phillips ? Have you ever noticed a person that just exudes "loser" ? I know, I left myself wide open. Wade is NOT the answer and I cannot BELIEVE one would not read into his pysche, were he let go by the Girlz. We need a broken man, like we need to get rid of Mario. YES, there are coaches in the NFL that are GREAT assistants, or co-ordinators, but seriously.....
Old 10-17-2010   #16
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Showtime wins this thread.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #17
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah I know the differences between a 3-4 and a 4-3.

I really meant after the season though. Does anyone believe Wade Phillips or Frank Bush going to get fired in the middle of the season? Jerruh isn't one to fire guys in the middle of a season and the Texans FO has been the same.

But if this continues and the Texans get into the playoffs they REALLY need to get a new DC. Even if Wade is available and he only wants to run a 3-4 I say you let him do it.

The only guy I'd be worried about not adjusting is Mario, can he drop back consistently? I'm not worried about Cush or Meco adapting to that...especially Cush. In fact I think Cush would benefit from it.

As far as the DTs that's the one big thing we are missing, hopefully that would be addressed though.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

wade's a proven commodity with a winning pedigree, i dont think you can say no if he wants to come here as a coordinator. that being said, i'm willing to bet he'll have a head coaching offer.

as for personnel, wade can coach the 43 regardless (especially in a 43/over) and we arent that far from a 34 defense anyways. we actually run 34 at times already. obviously a nose tackle would be the key component, but otherwise we're versatile enough to handle the formation. the biggest hurdle IMO would be convincing mario to play DE in a richard seymor type role. sure he can stand up and rush, but i honestly think moving inside will be an improvement for him while guys like barwin & cushing are better suited to play rush OLB. mario and okoye are double teamed as is and can generate pressure, okam's already a backup nose, smith's better on inside gaps, and cody can slide around. pollard would be better off with more aggressive assignments, diles would be better protected at inside weak, and ryans is plenty capable to shed blocks at inside strong. with bigger tackle oriented cornerbacks, we're actually more suited for the 34 defense in our backfield (in my opinion).

to be honest, and i've been working on this analytical process for a few weeks now, i think we may be better off switching to a 34 fairly soon - as early as next season.
Old 10-17-2010   #19
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 38426 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro View Post
Considering that Demeco is out for the season, would it really be too far outside the box to consider converting to a 3-4? It's not like we are getting much pass rush with 4 guys on the line anyhow.
A 3-4 requires much more depth at lb than we have. With Demeco out we are short for even a 4-3. We only had 4 active lb's today.
Old 10-17-2010   #20
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livid13 View Post
Wade freakin' Phillips ? Have you ever noticed a person that just exudes "loser" ? I know, I left myself wide open. Wade is NOT the answer and I cannot BELIEVE one would not read into his pysche, were he let go by the Girlz. We need a broken man, like we need to get rid of Mario. YES, there are coaches in the NFL that are GREAT assistants, or co-ordinators, but seriously.....
Look what Capers has done in Green Bay. Enough said.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read