Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2010   #1
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Two Questions

Any comments on these questions would be appreciated.

1. Since I live in the Metroplex, I couldn't see the game. What did we do offensively in the 2nd half that allowed us to be so successful? Was our pace a lot faster in the second half? Did we mix up our plays better?

2. Realistically, how will Ryans' injury affect this defense? We weren't very good before he went down. What options, if any, do we have (whether in scheme or personnel) to make his loss any less devastating than it seems to be? (Obviously, this is more opinion)

Thanks for any feedback you all can provide.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Two Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedr View Post

1. Since I live in the Metroplex, I couldn't see the game. What did we do offensively in the 2nd half that allowed us to be so successful? Was our pace a lot faster in the second half? Did we mix up our plays better?

2. Realistically, how will Ryans' injury affect this defense? We weren't very good before he went down. What options, if any, do we have (whether in scheme or personnel) to make his loss any less devastating than it seems to be? (Obviously, this is more opinion)

1. Vonta Leach returned a short kickoff down the sideline, due to Chiefs blown ST coverage, and rumbled (IIRC) about midfield. This gave us a short field, and without that short field...it would have taken longer to score. And taking longer to score would have meant DEATH because we would have lacked the time needed for the last game-winning drive that came later on. THIS was the biggest play, IMO, because the Chiefs blown coverage on that kickoff is what gave us enough clock to work with later on. As a whole, we actually mixed things up on offense. I saw (GASP!) a three-step drop by Schaub and a rifled ball to Jacoby that went for a first down for us. Lots of TE routes that were unique and gained us a first down by OD on a crucial 4th down play. It was typical Texans horsecrap of coming from behind, after having brainfarted the whole first half.

2. DeMeco, IMO, has not been a factor this season. He's looking like the 2008 DeMeco where he arm-tackled and was running in place while allowing a blocker to take him out of a play. You guys can boo me all you want, we're not going to miss him. Dixon made a few wrong cuts, playing as LB for us, but he was active and was trying his ass off out there. I appreciate that sort of hustle. Period. And maybe a new guy will help a little. Someone who doesn't have a gravy train and a locked-up roster spot year after year. I hope DeMeco recovers, and I hope he comes back in 2011 and plays like 2009 DeMeco. Maybe odd years are his thing? I dunno.

Andre and Schaub abused the Chiefs. Flowers was griping about the pass interference call, but let's face it: AJ did not give off a HUGE forearm shove on Flowers...it was as minor as the little check Flowers gave AJ about halfway through that route down the sideline. And as far as I am concerned, there was some ticky tack BS calls (and some non-calls on the Chiefs that should have been holding on them, during their run plays to the sideline) that made that pass interference call a good makeup call for us.

Schaub finally remembered how to move around in the damn pocket when under pressure by the d-linemen. This was the first time in like 4 weeks that I saw him actually recognize the pressure AND avoid it long enough to find an open man. Congrats to Matt. Looks like he found his mojo again. Too bad he didn't do that vs. the Cowboys or we'd be 5-1 right now. That Cowboys game is now officially pissing me off because of how horribly the Cowboys have played in their other games. I mean, seriously...we lost to them?!?!?! Dangit.
Old 10-17-2010   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think with the time remaining and how much we were down.. Kubiak and Dennison had to scratch half the playbook and hence they quit over-thinking and ran plays and the talents of the offense took over

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #4
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

OD was torching the KC secondary. Derrick Johnson is not a very good coverage LB and Daniels exploited that.

I think part of the reason our pass offense has been dormant the last few weeks was that AJ has been hurt since week 2. He was making cuts and running plays that he was doing prior to the ankle sprain.

Lastly, the pass protection was much better than it has been in any game since week 1. Schaub is dangerous when he has time to make plays, and I was really impressed with his ability to buy some time with his feet.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I think with the time remaining and how much we were down.. Kubiak and Dennison had to scratch half the playbook and hence they quit over-thinking and ran plays and the talents of the offense took over

Yeah, but Dennison STILL was sticking to those long-developing pass plays that are just not really working with Duane Brown out.

It DID seem like Dennison and Kubiak finally got over themselves, though, and somehow allowed us to just let our guys do the plays we all know work so well.
Old 10-17-2010   #6
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 3444 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the feedback. I know I'll get to see the next game in the Metroplex since we're playing on Monday night, but it's real hit-and-miss for televising the Sunday games. Thanks again.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Seemed like we began doing 3 step drop passes to Andre. That made the defense come up and then we torched them.

Can't tell you about Ryans.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2010   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I know I'll get to see the next game in the Metroplex since we're playing on Monday night, but it's real hit-and-miss for televising the Sunday games. Thanks again.
With how the game came down to a last-minute TD drive (TD catch by AJ) I bet NFLN will show it this week as an NFL Replay. They still do those, right?

It's a game that had a lot of scoring, and it came down to a last-minute TD to seal a comeback effort by the Texans. Surely it has to be one of the four games they Replay on NFLN.
Old 10-18-2010   #9
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
With how the game came down to a last-minute TD drive (TD catch by AJ) I bet NFLN will show it this week as an NFL Replay. They still do those, right?

It's a game that had a lot of scoring, and it came down to a last-minute TD to seal a comeback effort by the Texans. Surely it has to be one of the four games they Replay on NFLN.
I bet they pass on us this time though. We've already been selected twice in this short season. They replayed both the Redskins and Raiders games.
Old 10-18-2010   #10
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

One thing I noticed in the 2nd half of todays game, that is different than previous games this season, is that Schaub actually took what the defense gave him. He didn't do it all of the time, but he did it more in this game than he did last week for sure.
Old 10-18-2010   #11
dbruder44
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 dbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Any game is available to stream online, I watched the game yesterday in my hotel room in Norway, as I couldn't find a sports bar that showed American football, plenty of soccer, no real football www.channelsurfing.net it worked good for me.
dbruder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

1. This team has been notoriously out of sync this year. Matt Schaub (or our offense, depending how you want to look at it) has generally started slow. The only difference I see in the first half & the second, is that every play was either to AJ or Foster. In the second half you start seeing other names more frequently. OD, JJ, Derrick Ward. So maybe that has something to do with it. I do agree that Vonta Leach kick return sparked something. that 38 yard TD run didn't hurt either. From then on, we spread the ball around, & they couldn't cover everyone.

2. It hurts.
Old 10-18-2010   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 211500 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Schaub finally remembered how to move around in the damn pocket when under pressure by the d-linemen. This was the first time in like 4 weeks that I saw him actually recognize the pressure AND avoid it long enough to find an open man. Congrats to Matt. Looks like he found his mojo again. Too bad he didn't do that vs. the Cowboys or we'd be 5-1 right now. That Cowboys game is now officially pissing me off because of how horribly the Cowboys have played in their other games. I mean, seriously...we lost to them?!?!?! Dangit.
If he had done it against the Giants, I think we'd be 6-0.
Old 10-18-2010   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

What pissed me off postgame is on Football Night in America how Dungy and Costas kept saying, "After a controversial pass interference call the Texans win" as if to put an asterisk next to the W. Dungy of all people should be a bit more lenient given the Colts favorable officiating over the years.
Old 10-18-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

I don't think that was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
OD was torching the KC secondary. Derrick Johnson is not a very good coverage LB and Daniels exploited that.
& that was there all day, but we didn't take advantage until the second half.

I think AJ has become too big of a safety blanket & Schaub is trying to live up to something, instead of just playing.
Old 10-18-2010   #16
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
What pissed me off postgame is on Football Night in America how Dungy and Costas kept saying, "After a controversial pass interference call the Texans win" as if to put an asterisk next to the W. Dungy of all people should be a bit more lenient given the Colts favorable officiating over the years.
And ignored Flowers piggy backing people on two other plays. Or the two sacks below Schaubs knees. The Chiefs got away with a few penalties, and Dre got away with a very savy PI. He was VERY subtle.
Old 10-18-2010   #17
THE NFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
And ignored Flowers piggy backing people on two other plays. Or the two sacks below Schaubs knees. The Chiefs got away with a few penalties, and Dre got away with a very savy PI. He was VERY subtle.

It wasnt subtle at all... it made the catch possible. Flowers had great coverage on that play. It wasnt just a small thing.

It was a HUGE blown call.

The bigger impact is for the rest of the season for AJ. Big Brother will be watching now. I imagine you will see AJ get called for PI at some point in the remaining games. The Chiefs will have the NFL look at that call.
THE NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #18
dbruder44
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 dbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respecteddbruder44 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL View Post
It wasnt subtle at all... it made the catch possible. Flowers had great coverage on that play. It wasnt just a small thing.

It was a HUGE blown call.

The bigger impact is for the rest of the season for AJ. Big Brother will be watching now. I imagine you will see AJ get called for PI at some point in the remaining games. The Chiefs will have the NFL look at that call.
What about the blown PI on Flowers that stopped a drive earlier or the hold that wasn't called on the LT holding Mario as the Chiefs hit that TD before the half. It wasn't that obvious, look at the play I beleive Flowers hits AJ about 7 yards from the Line of scrimmage too, so technically they could have flagged illegal contact before the PI call. Calls get missed on every play, bad angles and such, I think the Chiefs got their fair share too. You can't blame the ref's and it's not like AJ missed the catch, we declined the penalty.
dbruder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #19
THE NFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL THE NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbruder44 View Post
What about the blown PI on Flowers that stopped a drive earlier or the hold that wasn't called on the LT holding Mario as the Chiefs hit that TD before the half. It wasn't that obvious, look at the play I beleive Flowers hits AJ about 7 yards from the Line of scrimmage too, so technically they could have flagged illegal contact before the PI call. Calls get missed on every play, bad angles and such, I think the Chiefs got their fair share too. You can't blame the ref's and it's not like AJ missed the catch, we declined the penalty.

It doesnt matter that the Texans declined a penalty that should have been on the Texans. It was huge.

But what about this and what about that.... just quit it... none of that had the impact of that play.

The Texans got lucky yesterday. Everyone seems to know it but you fans.

This is a 2-4 football team that has been lucky in a couple of games. The rest of the schedule doesnt afford them the luxury of continuing with playing badly. Teams will bury them early and not look back.
THE NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010   #20
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Dungy was a top cheerleader for the Texans until the Giants game. I don't blame
ANYBODY for doubting this team. When you lay an egg like they did against
the Giants AT HOME, and were laying against the Chiefs until the VERY END,
it's up to the Texans to EARN the respect people tried to pay them early this season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read