Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2010   #1
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What are you willing to give up to improve D?

Kubiak and co not an option.

Seriously though. Matt Cassell was good today. We need to do something. The D needs to improve, and all options need to be put on the table. Tuesday is the trade deadline. This coach and GM and organization need to build the defense. You cannot just build through the draft. You cannot just build through the free agency. Guess what you can do both. You passed up free agency, so know you have to start trading some draft picks and players. So this is what I am willing to give up:
Draft picks: any of next year except 1 and 2 unless you feel the need postion witha quality player.
Players: Slaton, and if you can get Nmandi, daniels. I know Nmandi contract is outrageous, but playoffs. Sign him to an extension is an uncapped year.

But you need to get a veternan corner, a pass rushing DT, and a safety. Even if that means Albert haynesworth. I know he may be a cancer, but one and done if need be. It doesn't matter. Rick, pick up the phone and don't stop dialing. This Front Office needs to deliver or they are going to be doing the players and fans a disservice. We need to make the playoffs this year, and you need to realize that is what the fans and players want.

Memo to Gary and coaching staff: the room is getting warm.

I am sorry if this maybe emotional and illogical, but I think you guys now what I am driving at. The trade deadline is Tuesday, we have the bye, time to help the players and fans out. Show us what you can do front office. I still have faith.

And question to the board, what so you think this board should do and give up for this season?
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What are you willing to give up to improve D?

I don't know what you guys are willing to give up, but THEY will demand Andre Johnson.

Do you see how ridiculous this is?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #3
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 5477 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I don't know what you guys are willing to give up, but THEY will demand Andre Johnson.

I think we could get some immediate help that can significantly contribute if we're willing to part with some high draft choices and some decent (NOT Andre caliber) players. Andre Johnson, in my opinion, is TOTALLY off limits.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #4
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Somebody said 2011 1st and 2nd for Aso.

brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #5
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

IŽd be willing to give up draft picks and Steve Slaton. A first and a second for Aso? Sure. A 2nd for Champ Bailey? You bet.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #6
tedr
Veteran

Rep Power: 5477 tedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respectedtedr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Somebody said 2011 1st and 2nd for Aso.

I'd go for that.
tedr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Raiders have pretty much gone on record saying any of their players are in play.

I'd seriously consider putting together a package for Aso.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2010   #8
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd go 2011 1st and 2012 3rd for Aso.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #9
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Not ridiculous at all. Any demands for AJ would be a short conversation. We have draft picks and I would be willing to part with some to shore up the defense. Sooner or later this season the magic rabbit's foot theTexans have been rubbing will lose its magic.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #10
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Seriously though. Matt Cassell was good today.
Every single week, an opposing offensive player has a career day. Manning had one of his five best performances in his career against us in a loss. McNabb had his third best game ever against us. Roy Williams had a career game against us in Week 3. Zach Miller had a career day against us in Week 4, and I bet if I look it up, it was probably one of Gradkowski's best games ever as well. Hakeem Nicks wishes he could face us every week. And one of the league's worst passers came in here today and had what is probably one of his best games ever.

So NO - Cassel was not good today.
Old 10-17-2010   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Raiders have pretty much gone on record saying any of their players are in play.

I'd seriously consider putting together a package for Aso.
I have really been diggin' your posts this pas few weeks.

And I dig this one, too.

ONE awesome cover corner can potentially change things here. If not this season, it would change things NEXT season. If there is one. And if it is an uncapped year, why not?

ONE awesome cover corner could have helped shut down Nicks. Unless, of course, Nicks is going to bud into the next biggest thing this side of #80 in Houston. Because I think that dude is not a fluke. He looks almost uncoverable. Seriously he does.

I'd give up a 1 and a 3. Because Kareem Jackson is a nickel corner you use for EXTRA coverage and run support. He ain't a cover corner. Period. And so if you see a true cover corner out there, you say "You know what? It's worth a 1 and a 3 for that. It really is."

If some General Manager in Texas right now doesn't understand this, and doesn't try to convince McNair of it, then we're screwed. This is where the financial side of things makes me put on the tin foil hat.
Old 10-17-2010   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

The move I would have made - and would still make if possible - would be to get Richard Seymour. Al Davis is not going to give up Asomugha at any reasonable price.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

We spent a 1st on CB this year. Why not spend a 1st on Asomugha? Throw in anything below another 3rd or Jacoby or Slaton.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #14
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Asomugha is too high of a cap room price.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #15
wagonhed
Team Gruden

Rep Power: 1893 wagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respectedwagonhed is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering that I put most of the blame on our scheme, I wouldn't trade much to improve the D but I would have no problem bringing in an experienced DC.
wagonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
We spent a 1st on CB this year. Why not spend a 1st on Asomugha? Throw in anything below another 3rd or Jacoby or Slaton.
I could see a first for Asomugha straight up. No other picks. No other players. If the Vikes can get Moss for a 3rd - and he's got HoF numbers - then Asomugha is worth no more than a 1st.

Unless you think we're REEEEEEEALLY desperate.

Besides, with McFadden, Bush, and Michael Bennett on their roster, the Raiders are really fat at RB so throwing in Slaton won't be much of an enticement. I don't think J.J. is either since he's not real polished and the last thing the Raiders need is a project WR to go with their project QBs.
Old 10-17-2010   #17
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Asomugha is too high of a cap room price.
What cap?
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #18
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
What cap?
good point.
there probably won't even be a season in 2011.
Old 10-17-2010   #19
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
The move I would have made - and would still make if possible - would be to get Richard Seymour. Al Davis is not going to give up Asomugha at any reasonable price.

This is the smartest post in this thread. I couldn't agree with you more.

The majority on this board wants to blame our young CB's for all the defensive problems when in fact, they should be blaming the D'Line. We all knew that the CB's were going to be exploited this season & would get burned. The best way to cover up that flaw is to put more pressure up front. When we've done that (take a look at the second half of the Washington game) we've been very successful at forcing mistakes & 3 & outs.

If Seymour could be had for a reasonable price, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but the Texans might want to revisit the Schobel signing & just pay the guy what he wants. That would allow us to move Smith inside to DT where he's been very successful & would benefit the team greatly.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #20
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14869 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever we do this player needs to make a difference. Not make a horrible defense look great...but just make a horrible defense look average. That's all we need.

I think Aso could do that. I would not worry about the cap right now. I think Haynesworth is a realistic possibility...it's just a matter is if he will come here and give a damn. If he does that I think he makes a huge difference, line him up next to Mario and reap your rewards.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read