Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-17-2010   #1
texansdrummer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8156 texansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respectedtexansdrummer is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to texansdrummer
Default Amazing...and btw, we won the game.

If you didn't otherwise know the outcome of the game, by the reaction of this board, you could realistically only imagine that we just suffered a blowout loss.

We are 4-2 headed into the bye week and undefeated in the AFC. We also defeated the Colts on our first chance against them.

I'm not saying that everything is perfect....FAR from it, and that has been examined in other threads ad infinitum. Will we go to the SB? Unlikely. Will we not win another game all season? HIGHLY unlikely. Reality probably lies somewhere in between. Let's see what happens. If you think the coaching staff isn't going to make some serious during the bye, you are an *****. Only (the usual) people on this board would call for the coaches heads, suggest that we'll go 0-for the rest of the season....after a VICTORY.

Texans record after 6 games:

2002 1-5
2003 2-4
2004 3-3
2005 0-5
2006 2-4
2007 3-3
2008 2-4
2009 3-3
2010 4-2

Clearly now is the time to fire everyone and start over, right?

I'm surprised some of you bother to get out of bed each morning with such a negative outlook. How do you even stand yourselves?
texansdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #2
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Amazing...and btw, we won the game.

Great post.

Its great to be 4-2. Our defense isnt good right now though thats for sure.

But with the offense we have we'll be in every game.

If we can get just average defense we will make the playoffs.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #3
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a very pessimistic/cynical person. When I'm the one peddling optimism and rationality on message boards of my favorite sports teams, you know the internet is a ****ed up place.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #4
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 28657 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever.

Any true fan knows that 4-2 is only 4 losses from being 0-6.

Old 10-17-2010   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am happy we won but not ecstatic and jumping for joy

I blame the Texans for that.. I get pumped before the game, but when the Texans start out uninspired and unemotional , it is hard for me to sustain the energy.(well I am watching it by myself) I guess I feed off of how they play

props to the crowd at reliant.. they stayed pumped all the way through and props to the Texans offense for not letting the score get too far away (early) and keeping the crowd in the game

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #6
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

After listening to 610 coming back from the game, you'd have thunk we lost the game.

We've been bad for so long we don't know what to do when we win. Our default is to complain. Let's just sit back and enjoy the victory. We can talk about the deficiencies and what changes we need to make later.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #7
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I have never turned a game off, ever. However today was the first time I almost did. In the third I was done, I didn't even want to watch the monday night game, I was so pissed, but I hung on and they won.

However now that DR is out it looks bad. This Defense has talent so why can't that stop anything????

I can't take this roller coaster of franchise any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2010   #8
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
This Defense has talent so why can't that stop anything????
Talent + lack of execution = coaching.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
After listening to 610 coming back from the game, you'd have thunk we lost the game.

We've been bad for so long we don't know what to do when we win. Our default is to complain. Let's just sit back and enjoy the victory. We can talk about the deficiencies and what changes we need to make later.
the defense got taken to the woodshed..

giving up 228 rushing yards and made Cassell look like Joe Montana with 122.9 QB rating.
Old 10-17-2010   #10
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27347 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing why Im not thrilled for this 4-2 start is, that everyone and their mother can throw on our secondary. This team won`t go anywhere if they don`t improve...

So why are we still 4-2 and beat the Colts? Because other than the secondary this team is scary good. Sure, a stud DT would help, but our D-line is alright... not good, but good enough to get us where we need to go. Our DEs and linebackers are spectacular... Offense? Sure a stud OL men or two would help, but they are doing a good job... QB, HB, WRs, TEs... all up there with the best of them in the league.

If we can fix our secondary and maybe bring in a shutdown corner, I truly believe this team can get to the superbowl. Right now Im looking at a nail biter for a playoff spot.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #11
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 92823 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

fire somebody! everybody! pink soap! LOUD NOISES!!!

oh, we won?
Old 10-17-2010   #12
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
the defense got taken to the woodshed..

giving up 228 rushing yards and made Cassell look like Joe Montana with 122.9 QB rating.
Looked more like David Carr circa 2006; completing everything but mostly for short gains.

It was the running game that destroyed the defense. It nearly averaged more YPA than their passing game.

6.3 yards per pass play is definitely not looking like Joe Montana.

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll never complain about a win, but it's hard to consider this team a legit post season threat when the defense is so terrible, and when we are playing so bad at home.

Ecstatic about the win, but not happy about a lot of little things that happened during the game.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Looked more like David Carr circa 2006; completing everything but mostly for short gains.

It was the running game that destroyed the defense. It nearly averaged more YPA than their passing game.

true, I was just going by 3 tds and no ints and with a really really good QB rating
Old 10-17-2010   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post

No, David Carr would dump balls off to his running backs...

Very seldom would he utilize TE's or the middle of the field...

Big difference between checking it down to a RB and picking a part the under belly of a defense.

And Cassel had some good down field throws as well..
Old 10-17-2010   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going on record as saying this thread/first post is the reason why people say statistics don't tell the entire story. If you looked at the shiny "4-2" you would be thinking we're finally making some serious headway.

If you actually watched the games you would be reacting like a lot of us around here right now. We've got some problems here on defense that aren't going to fix themselves. The bye week couldn't come at a better time but I don't believe that Frank Bush & Co. can get this straightened out in two weeks. We need play makers and need them badly. For 5 weeks most of the world believed that the Texans could stop the run, if not the pass. The reality has been seeping in around the edges ever since week 2 but we've been in denial mode. We stopped the Colts who can't run but let Peyton carve us up so Washington, Dallas, Oakland, and New York all chose to focus on our sorry secondary. Kansas City doesn't have much of a passing game and just exposed our run defense for the feces it is.

Now everybody who can anything will feed on us in the coming weeks. We might just eek out a sweep of the Colts if they aren't any better at stopping the run than they were in week one but after Arian Foster has a big day in Indy it's going to get real ugly real fast.
Old 10-17-2010   #17
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe some of the frustration is the realization that it's usually defense that wins championships, and this team has very little of it.

Still, 4-2 after six games is as good as anyone could have reasonably expected. And if you told me that the Texans would be 4-2 despite being 31st in the league in total defense, 31st in scoring defense and dead last in passing defense by a wide margin, I'd say you were on something.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm going on record as saying this thread/first post is the reason why people say statistics don't tell the entire story. If you looked at the shiny "4-2" you would be thinking we're finally making some serious headway.

If you actually watched the games you would be reacting like a lot of us around here right now. We've got some problems here on defense that aren't going to fix themselves. The bye week couldn't come at a better time but I don't believe that Frank Bush & Co. can get this straightened out in two weeks. We need play makers and need them badly. For 5 weeks most of the world believed that the Texans could stop the run, if not the pass. The reality has been seeping in around the edges ever since week 2 but we've been in denial mode. We stopped the Colts who can't run but let Peyton carve us up so Washington, Dallas, Oakland, and New York all chose to focus on our sorry secondary. Kansas City doesn't have much of a passing game and just exposed our run defense for the feces it is.

Now everybody who can anything will feed on us in the coming weeks. We might just eek out a sweep of the Colts if they aren't any better at stopping the run than they were in week one but after Arian Foster has a big day in Indy it's going to get real ugly real fast.

This.

And with the loss of Demeco, I don't see it getting better this season unless the Texans makes some trades real fast.

I really can't put my finger on exactly why the defense is so terrible, but my eyes won't be deceived by a 4-2 record. Love the fact that we are doing so well, but I'm hoping the team won't be as complacent as some of the fans seem to be.
Old 10-17-2010   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This win is the bone we get thrown for all the other times we get torched and look like crap.

It is what it is.

It's getting to watch a dirty movie when your wife is out of town for a week. Yeah, you're livin' the high life. :whatever:

I mean, seriously guys...this was Redskins game version 2.0 For every comeback win like that, expect the Texans to take a vacation on the next two games or so.

Our defense is THE worst. How will that change? I'm thinking it doesn't get fixed this year. And I'm trying to be optimistic about it. I really am. I['m just sayin'...this win (while nice for today) is like a sip of water in the desert: How you gonna' get 30 more miles down the path on a sip of water?

So basically all our games will be (a) Us blowing out teams like we did the Colts? Yet remember this: The Colts almost came back. And so did the Raiders! (b) Us getting blown out and NEVER really having a chance to win: Like the Cowboys and Giants games. or (c) The old Comebacker win, throwing us onto blood pressure meds by the time the game is over.

Three choices, from my standpoint. Yay, we won! Now what? LOL.
Old 10-17-2010   #20
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

The defense doesn't look good, there's no question. We have a bye to make some adjustments, get some guys back who were injured, and retool the defense. And we're still 4-2 right now.
hradhak is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read