Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-26-2005   #1
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Speaking of our needs at RB

This guy has been at the back of my mind all season and Ive just kinda ignored it and assumed he wasnt a factor in the whole "we need another RB" arguement.

But really he is... he was awesome in camp last year.. but before we could really see if he had what it takes.. he got severely injured in a preseason game and missed the rest of the season.

im talking about 6'0", 205lbs Jason Anderson. If he proves more durable this year, and shows the same promise he did last preseason.. then he could end up taking the place of Tony Hollings. Giving us Davis, Anderson, and Wells. Not an amazing lineup.. but possibly strong enough to be effective at least.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #2
Trapped
Veteran

i actually got a better trade scenario to upgrade the rb position. I got a hunch that Ced Benson will fall on draft day. And he will be their at 13. Do we take him or do we trade this pick for the number 23(seahawks) and Shaun Alexander for the 13th pick and Jamie Sharper(who seattle has reported they are interested in).

I don't know if we have the money to afford Alexander, but i think this is a fair deal for both teams. The Seahawks will select Ced Benson at 13 and feel in a need at LB with Sharper, while the Texans pick up Alexander and select Demarcus Ware at 23 since Merriman didn't fall to us.

Seattle has also reported they are shopping Alexander for a 2nd round pick or so. This deal seems logical, because i feel Ced Benson will fall on draft day.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #3
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

heres a scenario,,,we trade bla bla for bla bla and get draft pick #bla bla and hope bla bla, falls and we get one of the best RB in the league,,,,wait we have him,,,whats his name hmmmmm oh its D. Davis #37 a very solid back !!! What yall think about that scenario,,,if our line dont pick up we could get preist holmes and hed be lucky to get a 3.9 avg behind our OL !!! So give D.D a line to work with and lets just see what he can do with it, before we talk about RB changes !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #4
jacquescas
Hall of Fame

you said it yourself a very solid back. Alexander is a star. Davis is still under his rookie contract for 1 more year and will will have to decide if we want to pay him franchise back money. If he turns in another 1000-1200 yard season how much are we gonna have to pay him to stay? How much more will Alexander cost for production over 1200 yards?

I like Davis alot but he hasn't been durable, if we could get a young stud, then why not.
jacquescas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #5
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquescas
you said it yourself a very solid back. Alexander is a star. Davis is still under his rookie contract for 1 more year and will will have to decide if we want to pay him franchise back money. If he turns in another 1000-1200 yard season how much are we gonna have to pay him to stay? How much more will Alexander cost for production over 1200 yards?

I like Davis alot but he hasn't been durable, if we could get a young stud, then why not.

well i would prolly agree with you if we had a GREAT ol and D.D was still not productive enough for 1200-1500 yrds, but in the last 5 games of the season he really picked it up,,,he had 0 100 yrd games first half of the season and 4 over the second half, its all about the line and their ability to use the zone blocking scheme, i say we give him another year behind our fast improving line and see what he can do before we jump to any conclusions and make any hasty descesions !
Old 03-27-2005   #6
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansTrueFan
well i would prolly agree with you if we had a GREAT ol and D.D was still not productive enough for 1200-1500 yrds, but in the last 5 games of the season he really picked it up,,,he had 0 100 yrd games first half of the season and 4 over the second half, its all about the line and their ability to use the zone blocking scheme, i say we give him another year behind our fast improving line and see what he can do before we jump to any conclusions and make any hasty descesions !
Good Stat! If Benson drops to 13 and we dont take him were *****s!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #7
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05

u know that stat was semi complimenting D.D and the line over the last part of the season right ??? Just checking cause ya dont seem to high on D.D !
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2005   #8
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05

I would hope that Derrick Johnson would fall to us. Our first pick will be defense unless Braylon Edwards falls to 13 which is not going to happen.

Despite your efforts, Texans running back Dominick Davis, Rookie of the Year in 'O3 and very respectable numbers in '04 speak for themselves. Why give up a first round pick for a position you filled with fourth round pick. Brilliant!!
Like peanut butter and chocolate, you just go with what works. DD works and we have at least 4 other positions that could definitely use a first, second, third or fourth pick, say a LB, DL, OL, DB, WR? But if Bensen is still there at 13, perhaps a team would be willing to trade up and give us a few more picks. Now we are talking some improvement!
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #9
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker
But if Bensen is still there at 13, perhaps a team would be willing to trade up and give us a few more picks. Now we are talking some improvement!

haha now ur talking that would be nice, but i doubt he'll fall that far. he is a highly regarded running back.
Old 03-27-2005   #10
Bellthebest
Rookie

I think that you guys are set at Rb with DD........

people say that he is the next Priest Holmes

i agree....
Old 03-27-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

A cross between Priest Holmes and Fred Taylor. Holmes' ability, Taylor's injury problems.

I would not complain if DD was our starting RB next season.. or even if he was our starting RB for the next 5 years. But his injury issues are a red flag, and if he is only well enough to play 12 games out of the year.. then we need another starter quality RB to split carries with him. If Benson falls we will take him i think. If not.. possibly Shelton in the 3rd.. or at the very least we will target a first day RB next draft. Thats my opinion anywho.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #12
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellthebest

i agree....

hmmm some pretty powerful words !!! pretty strong indeed !
Old 03-28-2005   #13
Texansbacker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellthebest

i agree....

They are built very similar and it took Priest a while to bloom. With the offensive line switching to a zone blocking scheme and with an extra year of experience, DD could be in for a very big year. A big if only because he has not proven he can stay healthy. I like Grid's comparison of him and Fred Taylor, although that is a little harsh.
Old 03-28-2005   #14
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
A cross between Priest Holmes and Fred Taylor. Holmes' ability, Taylor's injury problems
Unfortunately Priest has had his share of injury problems also.
Old 03-28-2005   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I see no need for the Texans to target a running back on either the first or second day of the draft. I'd be ok if they didn't pick one at all this year. It goes something like this for me.

2003, DD jumps out after the Stacy Mack experiment grinds to a halt and impresses us all. Extrapolating his stats to a full season as the starter we all get excited about the next franchise back that nobody saw coming.

2004, Starting the season with high hopes DD fumbles away two games and goes into a funk as the offensive line demonstrates that it hasn't learned the new blocking scheme. Starting again at the mid point of the season (give or take a game or two) DD takes off again and once more leaves us with stats that when plugged into a full season would make him a Pro Bowl consideration and a legitimate franchise back.

2005. No excuses DD. Put together one whole season and show us what you can do. Last chance before your first contract runs out. If he does another thousand yard "half-year" due to injury or a fumble funk then he's going to cause two things to happen. He's going to cause the Texans to go get themselves another running back and he's going to cut into his salary on his next contract.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #16
Texansbacker
Veteran

Nice post Hervoyel.
Old 03-28-2005   #17
cadahnic
All Pro

DD is a good back. He is not a gamebreaker, but he is like Curtis Martin. DOnt get me wrong he has a long way to go to be Curtis Martin, but his simple take what I can get style is like Martin. I like Anderson, I think Wells is more of an H-back, and Hollings is a scat back that cannot stay healthy. I like a big RB in the 6th round maybe.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #18
z0rpAn
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to z0rpAn Send a message via MSN to z0rpAn Send a message via Yahoo to z0rpAn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
A cross between Priest Holmes and Fred Taylor. Holmes' ability, Taylor's injury problems.

I would not complain if DD was our starting RB next season.. or even if he was our starting RB for the next 5 years. But his injury issues are a red flag, and if he is only well enough to play 12 games out of the year.. then we need another starter quality RB to split carries with him. If Benson falls we will take him i think. If not.. possibly Shelton in the 3rd.. or at the very least we will target a first day RB next draft. Thats my opinion anywho.

Lets see, we have Davis who is quite effective at most times. You'll say hes injury prone, but its all good seeing how his replacement(Wells) picked up 2+ 100 yrd games last season, and then we have the guy with the speed to run on the outside. Now with that said WHY are you even thinking we need another running back?
z0rpAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005   #19
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rpAn
Lets see, we have Davis who is quite effective at most times. You'll say hes injury prone, but its all good seeing how his replacement(Wells) picked up 2+ 100 yrd games last season, and then we have the guy with the speed to run on the outside. Now with that said WHY are you even thinking we need another running back?
Cause Wells is not enough and Hollings can't carry a tune in a wheel barrow. DD cannot do it himself, this is his year to shine or be gone. That's why.. We don't want excuses, we want results...
Old 03-28-2005   #20
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped
i actually got a better trade scenario to upgrade the rb position. I got a hunch that Ced Benson will fall on draft day. And he will be their at 13. Do we take him or do we trade this pick for the number 23(seahawks) and Shaun Alexander for the 13th pick and Jamie Sharper(who seattle has reported they are interested in).

I don't know if we have the money to afford Alexander, but i think this is a fair deal for both teams. The Seahawks will select Ced Benson at 13 and feel in a need at LB with Sharper, while the Texans pick up Alexander and select Demarcus Ware at 23 since Merriman didn't fall to us.

Seattle has also reported they are shopping Alexander for a 2nd round pick or so. This deal seems logical, because i feel Ced Benson will fall on draft day.
I am confused (some say I stay that way). If Seattle is shopping Alexander for a 2nd round or so per your post, why don't we just offer that? We would still have the 13th to pick or trade down to someone else. We would also still have Sharper to trade or play.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read