Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-14-2010   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TBB Video: Isolated Review Series - Brian Cushing / Antonio Smith

Got some video up on Brian Cushing. You've got to see him destroy this screen play. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

http://www.texansbullblog.com/brian-...olated-review/

We've also got a tidbit on the Texans most consistent defensive lineman. And no, it's not Mario Williams.

http://www.texansbullblog.com/antoni...olated-review/
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TBB Video: Isolated Review Series - Brian Cushing / Antonio Smith

If only the Texans' were as good as this blog!!!
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #3
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
Got some video up on Brian Cushing. You've got to see him destroy this screen play. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

We've also got a tidbit on the Texans most consistent defensive lineman. And no, it's not Mario Williams.

Yep, agreed he's been the best DL we have had all year, and most of the second half of last year. I'd rather have another Antonio Smith than I would a Mario "When I wanna" Williams.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #4
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the post.
Cushing deserves a lot of the credit for those INTs. I think that's where he was sorely missed in weeks 1-4. He creates turnovers, often indirectly, by taking the offense out of their comfort zone.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post

Mario had a couple of plays very similar to those against the Giants as well. On the play where Mario was on the right, blasting into the backfield, there was no one playing the backside contain (like Mario was on that first Antonio Smith play you showed.). If Antonio was there, playing the backside, Bradshaw wouldn't have broke it for 23.

I know Mario didn't make the tackle, but it was because he was there & slowed Bradshaw enough for the rest of the D to get there.

Watch this Video Mario is in the backfield, shutting down the run's playside, just like Antonio did in your first video. Look at Antonio, in no position to make a play on Bradshaw.

But in your video with Antonio shutting down the play side, Mario makes a play on the backside.
Old 10-14-2010   #6
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
If only the Texans' were as good as this blog!!!

A bit of a hommerish outlook, to be sure.
Old 10-14-2010   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Antonio Smith is our answer for the ailing DT position. I would much rather see him take over for Shaun Cody and look for another DE in the 2011 draft. He's so disruptive, and I just love watching him push his way into the backfield.
Old 10-14-2010   #8
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Mario had a couple of plays very similar to those against the Giants as well. On the play where Mario was on the right, blasting into the backfield, there was no one playing the backside contain (like Mario was on that first Antonio Smith play you showed.). If Antonio was there, playing the backside, Bradshaw wouldn't have broke it for 23.

I know Mario didn't make the tackle, but it was because he was there & slowed Bradshaw enough for the rest of the D to get there.

Watch this Video Mario is in the backfield, shutting down the run's playside, just like Antonio did in your first video. Look at Antonio, in no position to make a play on Bradshaw.

But in your video with Antonio shutting down the play side, Mario makes a play on the backside.
That's the play LZ highlights in his blog where Smith is more interested in retaliating for a cut block than getting up to make the play.
Old 10-14-2010   #9
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think Antonio Smith is our answer for the ailing DT position. I would much rather see him take over for Shaun Cody and look for another DE in the 2011 draft. He's so disruptive, and I just love watching him push his way into the backfield.
Antonio is a bit undersized to play the two-tech. That's why he currently only moves to DT on obvious passing downs.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Antonio is a bit undersized to play the two-tech. That's why he currently only moves to DT on obvious passing downs.
Exactly. In this situation, he is also playing the 3 tech. No one is over the Center.
Old 10-15-2010   #11
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Yep, agreed he's been the best DL we have had all year, and most of the second half of last year. I'd rather have another Antonio Smith than I would a Mario "When I wanna" Williams.
Ridiculous. Smith seems to be playing well, but Mario has 50% more tackles and 100% more sacks. This year as well as last year. They play the same position, sorta, and Mario's seeing more scheming against him.

Beyond those official stats, you can see others at Advanced NFL Stats where Mario is 2nd in the NFL in QB hits (Antonio 14th).
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
Ridiculous. Smith seems to be playing well, but Mario has 50% more tackles and 100% more sacks. This year as well as last year. They play the same position, sorta, and Mario's seeing more scheming against him.

Beyond those official stats, you can see others at Advanced NFL Stats where Mario is 2nd in the NFL in QB hits (Antonio 14th).
And Mario is the focus of the offenses we face. In the Giants game, I saw plenty of times where he was doubled by TWO offensive linemen. Thats what they were bringing the other tackle in for. I love Smith, but to say you would rather have him than Mario is a ridicules statement. Also, in the video clip, one of the corners take out a blocker very nicely.
Old 10-15-2010   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
And Mario is the focus of the offenses we face. In the Giants game, I saw plenty of times where he was doubled by TWO offensive linemen. Thats what they were bringing the other tackle in for. I love Smith, but to say you would rather have him than Mario is a ridicules statement. Also, in the video clip, one of the corners take out a blocker very nicely.

The CB was Kareem Jackson.

It's appropriate for fans to appreciate effort. So, I don't think it is "ridiculous" for silverhnd to say that he'd appreciate another A.Smith instead of Mario. Mario is clearly the more talented player. And, you are right, his ability forces the opposing team to prepare for him and give him special attention. But, it is undeniable that A.Smith's effort is much more consistent than Mario's. As a result, I'm a bigger fan of Smith's these days than I am of Mario... doesn't mean Mario's best isn't much better than Smith's best. I just don't see hit nearly as much.
Old 10-15-2010   #14
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

It's appropriate for fans to appreciate effort. So, I don't think it is "ridiculous" for silverhnd to say that he'd appreciate another A.Smith instead of Mario. Mario is clearly the more talented player. And, you are right, his ability forces the opposing team to prepare for him and give him special attention. But, it is undeniable that A.Smith's effort is much more consistent than Mario's. As a result, I'm a bigger fan of Smith's these days than I am of Mario... doesn't mean Mario's best isn't much better than Smith's best. I just don't see hit nearly as much.
Then you're not looking. What does effort look like anyway?

It seems to me that a lineman that doesn't give effort is going to get completely blown up by the o-line. see: Frank Okam.
Old 10-15-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That was awesome.
Quote:
I find it funny you talk about Mario's lack of effort, yet in your video we see Mario continuing giving good effort on the backside of that play... that is why that run didn't go anywhere.

I posted a link in this thread to a video showing Mario doing the same thing Antonio did in yours. The only difference, & the reason my video shows Bradshaw busting 23 a 23 yard run, is because Antonio wasn't there with that same backside effort.
Quote:

I like Antonio. I like Mario. But to say Antonio is our most consistent, I think is a stretch. The difference between Antonio & Mario is like the difference between Demeco & Cush. Both great players, but Mario & Cush have the ability to finish, where Antonio & Demeco come up short.
Old 10-15-2010   #16
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
That was awesome.

I like Antonio. I like Mario. But to say Antonio is our most consistent, I think is a stretch. The difference between Antonio & Mario is like the difference between Demeco & Cush. Both great players, but Mario & Cush have the ability to finish, where Antonio & Demeco come up short.
Everyone fubar'd this play.. Mario should have had the tackled but fell off btw, the only blocker on him was a TE.. really a TE blocks the best DE we have? He knocked out Demeco when he got slammed by the TE, Antonio got cutdown, Cushing didn't pursue backside down the line instead bailed out, Pollard took a really bad angle..

Again Mario has MORE talent than Smith, but Smith brings it every play, Mario just simply goes away.. He was being blocked by a single TE in some of the passing plays and wasn't even beating him..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010   #17
noxiousdog
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

Again Mario has MORE talent than Smith, but Smith brings it every play, Mario just simply goes away.. He was being blocked by a single TE in some of the passing plays and wasn't even beating him..
For how long? What was his assignment?

Besides. It happens.

I went back and watched on NFL Game Rewind (highly recommended)
Drive 1
Play 1: beats RT, tackles Bradshaw for loss
Play 2: Beast TE, flushed Manning
Play 3: Stunt, picked up by G, Manning release ball < 3 sec.

Drive 2
Play 1: Shotgun. 1.5 sec pass.
Play 2: Dropped into zone coverage
Play 3: Blocked by TE, got hands on Bradshaw who spun away. No tackle.
Play 4: 3 step drop.
Play 5: Toss, play away from Mario.
Play 6: running play. dive
Play 7: 3 step drop. Bubble screen
Play 8: 3 step drop.

Drive 3
Play 1: Shotgun. Mario flushed Manning right in < 2 seconds. Got blindsided by a guard after bullrushing LT
Play 2: Running play draw
Play 3: 3 step drop again. Mario beat TE.
Play 4: Run off RG.

Drive 4
Play 1: Mario picked up by TE, G, and RB
Play 2: 3 step drop
Play 3: 5 step drop, Mario didn't beat RT cleanly. Could argue he took a play off but he was still closer to Manning than anyone else.
Play 4: Off tackle away from Mario.
Play 5: Run left. TE had mario, though Play stopped for no gain. (Cody)
Play 6: Shotgun. Mario tried going inside, but G helped LT. Manning had ball < 3 seconds.

Drive 5
Play 1: 5 step drop. Pressure applied by Mario and Cushing. Inc.
Play 2: Off tackle away from Mario
Play 3: Draw play
Play 4: 5 step drop. Mario looked confused. (Smith got completely stoned at the line. Didn't even get a step)
Play 5: Stunt inside, tackled rb
Play 6: Double teamed (strong, not a chip), Cushing applied pressure

Drive 6
Play 1: Running play, sweep away from Mario.
Play 2: Run dive
Play 3: Dropped into zone coverage
Play 4: 5 step drop. Pressure by mario, smith, and cushing.
Play 5: Run left. away from mario.
Play 6: Stunt inside. No real pressure from anyone.
Play 7: Shotgun draw. Mario played pass all the way, ran out of play.
Play 8: Shotgun. 3 secs. Not sure what mario was doing here. Almost beat left tackle and then just danced. Ogunleye broke free late, but Manning not in danger.
Play 9: Chipped by TE, picked up by RT. Pressure from all linemen but Mario.
Play 10: Shotgun. < 2 secs.
Play 11: Chipped by TE, picked up by LT. Shotgun < 3 seconds.
Play 12: Pressure up middle. Shotgun. <3 seconds.

Halftime
Drive 7
Play 1: Run right away from Mario.
Play 2: Double teamed (running back chip), closest to Manning. 5 step drop 4 seconds.
Play 3: Can't tell where he lined up. Quick drop. Good pressure middle and right.

Drive 8
Play 1: Double team, strong. Beats it and flushes Manning
Play 2: Run right away from Mario.
Play 3: Chip by TE... TE screen. Oops.
Play 4: Picked by TE, Mario beats him to the inside, but Cushing already pressures and causes INT.

Drive 9
Play 1: Double team. play action, Mario bites, but only lineman to recover.
Play 2: Drops into zone coverage.
Play 3: Shotgun. Mario Double teamed out of the play. Cushing forces int #2.

Drive 10
Play 1: Immediate throw left.
Play 2: Dropped into coverage. Tackles Nicks on the bubble screen.
Play 3: Shotgun, destroys LT, hits manning along with Demeco.
Play 4: Run, inside. Blocked well by TE
Play 5: Hurdles TE, but quick throw (3 step drop, immediate)
Play 6: Not in game
Play 7: Not in game
Play 8: Not in game
Play 9: Run. Away from mario
Play 10: Shotgun, mario beats RT, but too deep. Pressure from Smith.
Play 11: Shotgun. < 2 seconds.

Other plays of note:
Bad snap. Smith 1st one there
7:04 - Good pressure from Williams and Mitchell

Maybe 2 or 3 'effort' issues? And I certainly don't have a way to call it effort when it could be just bad strategy. Sometimes your move isn't going to work, or the QB is getting rid of it quickly.

One thing is for sure, and that's Mario is closest to the QB FAR more than anyone else. FAR more.
Old 10-16-2010   #18
thunderkyss 
&amp; so it begins

Quote:
October 14, 2010
Is Mario Williams a great player?

The Texans produce the numbers every week, and the numbers say Mario Williams is, if not a great player, certainly a very special one:

• Third in the AFC and sixth in the NFL with 5.0 sacks along with three tackles for loss, 11 quarterback hits, a forced fumble and two passes deflected.

• 44.5 career sacks are fourth-most in the NFL since he entered the league in 2006.

• Since his breakout 14-sack season in 2007, he's third in the NFL with 40 sacks.

• 17.5 tackles for loss since 2007 are second-most by an AFC defensive lineman.

• 57.5 negative plays since 2007 are fourth-most in the NFL.

His numbers are even more impressive when you consider the Texans have never had a dominant pass-rusher opposite him. They projected Connor Barwin to be that guy this season.
Found it in the Chronicle.

I'm just say'n....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read