Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-14-2010   #1
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What would you give for Steve Smith (Carolina)

Appearantly this guy is going to be on the trade block. They aren't going to win anything with him there and with that in mind they aren't going to want to pay him anything to keep him there.

We are hurting at WR right now and Steve Smith is still a play maker.

Would you give anything for him and if so, who? If not, why?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #2
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What would you give for Steve Smith (Carolina)

Right now Smith is out with an ankle injury and may not be ready to play by Week 7.
Old 10-14-2010   #3
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72917 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Low low draft pick. But they would want a 3rd probably. Plus we are not giving him a huge new contract.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve Smith:
* Height: 5-9
* Weight: 185
* Born: May 12, 1979 - Los Angeles, CA
* College: Utah
* Draft: 2001 - 3rd round (12th pick) by the Carolina Panthers

So he's 31 years old and has only played all 16 games of a season twice in his 10 years. He usually plays about 14 games a year, but has been injury prone. It looks like he has a 6-7 mill a year contract through 2012, so I seriously doubt the Texans would be interested. Way too much for too little return, I'd be much more happy to pick him up off waivers. At best I'd give a 5th for him.
Old 10-14-2010   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Low low draft pick. But they would want a 3rd probably. Plus we are not giving him a huge new contract.
I'd give a 3rd round pick for him.
Old 10-14-2010   #6
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Please don't trade for Steve Smith
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010   #7
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Straight up trade: Jones for Smith.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-15-2010   #8
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 122284 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Covert him into a DB. He can't do much worse than our current DB's. Defensive Back not dooooouche bags, although I can undestand someone describing thier recent play with the latter.
Old 10-15-2010   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I'd actually do that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
They'd laugh at that. Give them Jones, Casey, and like a 6th round pick and it's fair.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010   #11
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Steve Smith?

We could possibly trade Andre Johnson and our 2011 & 2012 1st round draft picks for Steve Smith. Steve's potential far outweighs Johnson's. As for our 1st round draft picks, Smith is a proven commodity. We don't need to overpay an unproven rookie only to discover that he's a bust.

In all seriousness, I'd give a 3rd rounder for Steve Smith. He's a decrepit receiver that has already reached his maximum potential.
Old 10-15-2010   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Steve Smith?

We could possibly trade Andre Johnson and our 2011 & 2012 1st round draft picks for Steve Smith. Steve's potential far outweighs Johnson's. As for our 1st round draft picks, Smith is a proven commodity. We don't need to overpay an unproven rookie only to discover that he's a bust.

In all seriousness, I'd give a 3rd rounder for Steve Smith. He's a decrepit receiver that has already reached his maximum potential.
On the right team, Smith could be really motivated and could still do a lot of damage. He's had a horrible QB his entire career for the most part and has put up pretty nice numbers. A motivated Steve Smith is a beast and he would be motivated here playing alongside Andre.
Old 10-15-2010   #13
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
On the right team, Smith could be really motivated and could still do a lot of damage. He's had a horrible QB his entire career for the most part and has put up pretty nice numbers. A motivated Steve Smith is a beast and he would be motivated here playing alongside Andre.
But you'll have to factor in his age. He's already 31 and has been plagued by a plethora of injuries throughout his career.

EDIT: But I sure wouldn't mind seeing Steve Smith as a Texan given that we agreed to reasonable terms.
Old 10-15-2010   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
But you'll have to factor in his age. He's already 31 and has been plagued by a plethora of injuries throughout his career.
That is true, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't come in healthy and give us like two really good seasons. If the Texans could get their defense together at some point, they're almost ready to make a real run at a SB. They need some defense though.
Old 10-15-2010   #15
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he could help this team out. Smith at one point was one of the best WRs in the NFL and I think he can still produce big numbers just that he needs a change of scenery as they are obviously rebuilding in Carolina. He's pretty much disappeared off the map though and we have to remember who is throwing to him.

What I would hate is to see the Patriots get him for like a 5th round pick and rejuvenate his career.

I'd be up for getting Steve Smith. Our passing game just isn't what it used to be for whatever reason and it could use a shot in the arm. Also I like the guy's attitude. He's a trash talker and I'm starting to think on offense our team has too many laid back guys.

In fact the more I think about it the more I like the idea. 31 is not a bad age for a WR, if it was then we wouldn't have given Andre his recent deal.

Also when I think of teams like the Jets...they have a scary good secondary, so we might as well have scary good WRs and I think Steve Smith can still produce big numbers it's just a matter of who is throwing to him.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #16
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16491 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not convinced that we need another receiver; I think we have enough talent at that position already. I think our priority in free agency should be finding a veteran, proven defensive back.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #17
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

As my grandmother would say, "Not a pie!"

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #18
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 3119 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Receiver is about the least of our problems.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010   #19
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
They'd laugh at that.
Why?

Jones offers the same upside as Smith but has better size and is 6 years younger. I think that's actually a realistic offer, though I think I'd rather give a draft pick for him.
Old 10-17-2010   #20
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

If you could get him for next to nothing, do it. But in reality, this team needs to trade for defense, defense and more defense.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read