Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-13-2010   #1
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LZ's Blog: Film school: How the Giants used scheme to stop the running game.

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...nts_use_1.html

Make sure to read the text below each youtube clip before you watch it. I really like this setup.

BTW - Thanks to Dalemurphy also for his film reviews.

I miss breaking down film after a game. This is what the players do as a follow up to their "gotta get better" slogan.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #2
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ's Blog: Film school: How the Giants used scheme to stop the running game.

texans got read like a book, nothing more to it. sad they couldn't counter at the half but not making adjustments proves why this staff isn't up to par.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ's Blog: Film school: How the Giants used scheme to stop the running game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...nts_use_1.html

Make sure to read the text below each youtube clip before you watch it. I really like this setup.

BTW - Thanks to Dalemurphy also for his film reviews.

I miss breaking down film after a game. This is what the players do as a follow up to their "gotta get better" slogan.

Really interesting stuff from LZ. Wouldn't be amazing to see/hear Kubiak get asked questions like this every week for half an hour or so? When I was young, I remember the Tom Landry show on Sunday mornings and he spent about 10-15 minutes with his projector and pointer breaking down plays. Instead, we get 5 questions from McClain about whether the loss was disappointing. Then, Kubiak is on for an hour on Monday evening, and he gets asked almost nothing substancial the entire time.
Old 10-13-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Good read. I don't agree with much of what he says, but it's interesting to see different opinions.

I think we tipped our hand. I rewatched the game & every time the motion man ended up near the OL, it was a run play. If the motion man ended up out wide, seperated from the line, it was a pass.

they new the run was coming, & sold out. Overloaded the play side & got to Arian before he could cut back.

On pass plays, they didn't bite on the PA..... just dropped in their zones.

The only plays we made good on, were Andre being Andre, & plays where there was no motion & they had to play honest.

I'm watching the Cowboy game now. The 'boys didn't pick up on it, but we're doing the same thing.

Dennison has some work to do.
Old 10-13-2010   #5
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

While watching the clip where the Giants put 9 men in the the box, I couldn't help but think/yell in my head... WHY CAN'T THE QB EFFIN AUDIBLE??!?!?!?!

Don't you think opposing teams know that we don't audible? I would stack the box too if I were the Giants. Myers may not have seen it, but I'm sure Schaub did. Audible to a pass play and either take that 9th man out of the box, or torch their pansy asses! GEEZ!
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
texans got read like a book, nothing more to it. sad they couldn't counter at the half but not making adjustments proves why this staff isn't up to par.
Really?

We were able to actually put drives together in the second half. Couldn't score, but we were moving the ball better. If it weren't for Schaub being a slow starter, maybe things could be different. He never got anything started in the first half.

The defense looked like a pro D in the second half, only allowing 10 points.
Old 10-13-2010   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Alright, so we need healthy receivers worse than I thought. I didn't realize AJ's speed was in question, but that's what I guess I'm hearing. Safeties don't worry about the go route, etc.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2010   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Really?

We were able to actually put drives together in the second half. Couldn't score, but we were moving the ball better. If it weren't for Schaub being a slow starter, maybe things could be different. He never got anything started in the first half.

The defense looked like a pro D in the second half, only allowing 10 points.
Yeah, they did look a lot better after adjustments. Problem is those "adjustments" weren't to the Giants; they were just various bad play that never should've happened in the first place.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Alright, so we need healthy receivers worse than I thought. I didn't realize AJ's speed was in question, but that's what I guess I'm hearing. Safeties don't worry about the go route, etc.
He's severely hobbled by the ankle sprain right now... combine that with Jacoby's injury and we have nobody that can stretch the field. AJ's speed is fine when he's healthy.
Old 10-13-2010   #10
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to say you and Dale Murphy are doing a fantastic job. I am really enjoying this and I am hoping the Team catches a glimpse of your observations
Old 10-13-2010   #11
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, they did look a lot better after adjustments. Problem is those "adjustments" weren't to the Giants; they were just various bad play that never should've happened in the first place.
Walter isn't a legitimate number 1 receiver. A hobbled AJ didn't draw attention to give KW room. Jacoby was sidelined and Dickerson... he may have potential but potential not named Bush doesn't scare coaches in this league.

Its obvious that they didn't fear the pass and no matter how good you are at running the ball.. if you can't threaten the pass you're not going to do much. If we had a huge oline who could create space at the line and a rb who was made to run through people we might have seen a different outcome. The problem is that this offense is built to work together. We've got a contingency plan for AJ and his name is JJ. He was out of the game. When you are missing two cogs in the lineup you're going to struggle.. had it been one RB and one WR we are probably ok.... but its clear that the defense needs a deep threat to worry them because we can't run with the box stacked.

At least that's what I took away from this film.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208669 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Good read. I don't agree with much of what he says, but it's interesting to see different opinions.
It should be noted that he's mostly reporting what was seen by an NFL OL coach. I'd be interested to hear specifically what you don't agree with and why.
Old 10-13-2010   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The one thing that both LZ and Johnny Harris talked about Monday was the fact that the Giants were not scared of AJ (because of his high ankle sprain). Without Jacoby (athleticism and speed) and with AJ not 100% allowed them to do what they wanted to do, defensively.

(not sure if LZ's blog mentioned that, because I haven't read it yet).
Old 10-13-2010   #14
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The one thing that both LZ and Johnny Harris talked about Monday was the fact that the Giants were not scared of AJ (because of his high ankle sprain). Without Jacoby (athleticism and speed) and with AJ not 100% allowed them to do what they wanted to do, defensively.

(not sure if LZ's blog mentioned that, because I haven't read it yet).
From what I got out of it, the Giants played 8 iin the box just about the entire game. They attacked the los instead of reacting. They had faith in their DL to get pressure on any pass plays and stopped our OL from getting to the 2nd level.
Old 10-13-2010   #15
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
From what I got out of it, the Giants played 8 iin the box just about the entire game. They attacked the los instead of reacting. They had faith in their DL to get pressure on any pass plays and stopped our OL from getting to the 2nd level.
They are betting that Schaub has to get rid of it before he can burn them . This get amplified when AJ is hurt so stack the line and see what happens because Anderson and Walter isn't striking fear in anyone .

Is this like a theory or something .
Old 10-13-2010   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
They are betting that Schaub has to get rid of it before he can burn them . This get amplified when AJ is hurt so stack the line and see what happens because Anderson and Walter isn't striking fear in anyone .

Is this like a theory or something .
The bolded is spot on, if you factor Jacoby Jones, or lack thereof!!
Old 10-13-2010   #17
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
The bolded is spot on, if you factor Jacoby Jones, or lack thereof!!
I kinda wanted to see Dickerson because you don't need experience to be big and fast . I didn't watch the videos but I bet they were jamming the WRs . AJ on one good foot would have a hard time .
Old 10-13-2010   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I kinda wanted to see Dickerson because you don't need experience to be big and fast . I didn't watch the videos but I bet they were jamming the WRs . AJ on one good foot would have a hard time .
I don't remember Schaub ever having time to allow a WR to get downfield. The lack of a rushing attack allowed them to attack upfield, and Caldwell and Butler got blown up bad. As did Winston. Lb's were meeting Leach in the backfield.

It seemed to me that Schaub played scared the entire game. Perhaps it was a bad idea to let him watch the G-Men sack Cutler 9 times in the first half the previous week. And Dennison was thoroughly outcoached by Fewell.
Old 10-13-2010   #19
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
While watching the clip where the Giants put 9 men in the the box, I couldn't help but think/yell in my head... WHY CAN'T THE QB EFFIN AUDIBLE??!?!?!?!

Don't you think opposing teams know that we don't audible? I would stack the box too if I were the Giants. Myers may not have seen it, but I'm sure Schaub did. Audible to a pass play and either take that 9th man out of the box, or torch their pansy asses! GEEZ!

We do some. Not a big "Matt take over at the LOS" type. He checks off some plays and flip plays. - GK
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #20
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
I have to say you and Dale Murphy are doing a fantastic job. I am really enjoying this and I am hoping the Team catches a glimpse of your observations
If the team really need 'help' from a reporter and a blogger, the team is FAR FAR worse than I could possibly imagine.
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read