Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-25-2005   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Phillip Rivers to the 49ers?

According to Fox Sports Radio, I have no link, the Chargers are talking to the 49er's about sending Phillip Rivers to the 49er's for the 1st overall draft pick so the Chargers can draft Braylon Edwards with the #1 pick...Did anyone else hear this or was I hearing things?
Old 03-25-2005   #2
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

id get rid of him as well i mean he's a rookie and holds out from training camp because he wants more money,,,, i mean who does he think he is peyton manning ???
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4561 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

He will be the most expensive backup QB in the NFL if he does stay with the Chargers and playes behind Brees...
Old 03-26-2005   #4
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
He will be the most expensive backup QB in the NFL if he does stay with the Chargers and playes behind Brees...

haha yeah after last season i doubt he will start for the chargers, he mighta had a chance had he made it to training camp on time, but brees had a solid season and i dont see him beign unseated by Rivers !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #5
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

May as well...the Chargers have one of the worst first round draft pick records in the NFL.

Hey...how's it goin' Ryan Leaf?
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #6
texan279
Hall of Fame

If this trade did happen though, the Chargers would have THREE first round picks, and 2 of those picks would be before we picked at the #13 spot...
Old 03-26-2005   #7
texman8
Veteran

49ers should ask for an extra 2nd round pick from SD.
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2005   #8
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I head also (ESPN radio) that they were TALKING. Makes some sense as I think Rivers would grade higher than the two top QBs this year and he has had a year to learn the NFL ways, so he SHOULD be able to hit the ground faster. Niners get a semi-experienced QB and SD unloads a heavy contract and possibly gains an extra later pick or two plus the first they used on Rivers.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #9
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
If this trade did happen though, the Chargers would have THREE first round picks, and 2 of those picks would be before we picked at the #13 spot...
Got one thing to say about that...GOODBYE KAEDING!
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #10
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 7197 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

Only trouble I see with this rumor is that Rivers just rec'd a bonus on 10 Mar...it would have seemed to have made more sense to deal him before then. However, this would solidify SD's play-offs chances esp if they could get one for the SF QBs as a back-up in the deal.
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #11
Rosusu
All Pro

I think both teams get a good deal out of it, having 3 first round choices is crazy, they are going to get a lot of talent if it happens.
Old 03-26-2005   #12
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Chargers would be getting a steal if this happens...Give up a back-up QB and get the #1 overall pick? I'd be all over that...

San Fran should at least get a 2nd rounder too...
Old 03-26-2005   #13
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
Got one thing to say about that...GOODBYE KAEDING!
What does the Chargers' kicker have to do with anything? Are you trying to say they'll draft a kicker in the first to take over for their kicker that was a rookie last year? Makes little to no sense to me...
Old 03-26-2005   #14
Dunta_23
All Pro

Maybe he means that there will be no use for him anymore, IF they get Edwards, then they have a pretty stacked offensive Unit.....then they can trade back into the top 5 and draft Mike WIlliams
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I would imagine the 49ers would get a pick (1st or 2nd) as part of the deal.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #16
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
What does the Chargers' kicker have to do with anything? Are you trying to say they'll draft a kicker in the first to take over for their kicker that was a rookie last year? Makes little to no sense to me...
I am saying yes theyll use either a 1st or 2nd on a kicker because they will have 5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds I think and they need to upgrade weak postions (aka Kadeing)
Old 03-26-2005   #17
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

The question to me is this. Is Rivers better than Smith/Rodgers and if he is how much better? If he isnt its a good trade for SF, I dont see how SD goes wrong unless they plan to make Rivers a starter in 06' which would probably be stupid.
Old 03-26-2005   #18
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansNeedRBin05
I am saying yes theyll use either a 1st or 2nd on a kicker because they will have 5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds I think and they need to upgrade weak postions (aka Kadeing)
You must not watch too many Chargers games. Kaeding was an extremely good kicker for a rookie. Hit the 3rd most 50+ yarders in the league. Missed only ONE of 55 extra points. I take it you make your impressions of Kaeding based on one missed playoff field goal?
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #19
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
I take it you make your impressions of Kaeding based on one missed playoff field goal?
That is what he is most likely doing...

If the 49ers were to do this trade, it would mean that they had Rivers graded higher coming out of college than both Rogers and Alex and I tend to agree with that.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005   #20
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm calling this idle speculation on somebodys part. The Chargers are on record as saying they do not want to pay a first pick in the draft ever again, to much money and to much of the franchise can be tied to him. Also I don't think Rivers grades that much better then Smith or Rogers, especially when you take into account the style of offense the Niners run. Also If I was Sanf Fran I'd be asking for one of the Chargers other 1st round draft picks.

As for Keading, yeah he's been pretty stable and all, but he did miss the biggest kick in his life.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read