Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,710
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

If you can stomach it, we have highlighted seven plays with description and video from the NYG game that pretty well illustrate some of the biggest problems with our pass defense: Texans Bull Blog
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,506
Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

That's a nice effort for all the negative rep you're going to earn.
__________________

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #3
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro
 
V3rm0nt3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Springfield MA for the next 4 years
Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Age: 29
Posts: 597
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

You know how much I had to drink to forget those plays the first time I saw them? This is just cruel Dale.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,710
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
That's a nice effort for all the negative rep you're going to earn.
I'm still very high on the prospects for the 2010 Texans. However, when I expect to see this team excel and it plays like it did on Sunday, I'm compelled to comprehend why. Studying this week's problems, I'm encouraged that the problems seem fixable (much like last year's run defense issues early on). Of course, if these problems linger into the middle of the season, pessimism and bitterness will eventually win out.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #5
Nawzer
Alienz
 
Nawzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 6,554
Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Thanks for taking the time and effort to make these videos. But you know there's a problem with your defense when Hakeem Nicks starts imitating Andre Johnson. We gotta get our defensive act together fast.
__________________
Fortune favors the brave NOT the stupid!
Nawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,506
Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Like the way you finish by stating that they corrected a lot of the problems in the 2nd half. Can't wait to see the videos of that.

That first play #3 where KJ just "gets bored" is the kind of stuff that has me so irritated. You're a rookie starting at #1 CB on a team trying to make it to the playoffs for the very first time and you are getting paid WAY more than you've ever made before doing anything else, that's for sure. Keep your head in the game and there's no excuse for effort lapses.
__________________

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over
 
Goatcheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,077
Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

I'm not sure what you're seeing in the 59/54 poor in cover 2 video.

If they're playing cover 2 Diles' zone should be right around the first down line midway between the numbers and the hash marks. That's right where he seems to be. Ryans should be at the same depth but in the center of the hash marks and he also seems to be in the right spot.

If it was cover 2 then that play was 70% on Quin for being 10 yards deeper than his zone calls for and 30% just the Giants having the right play to beat the soft spot in the cover 2 zone.

__________________

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2010   #8
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,710
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I'm not sure what you're seeing in the 59/54 poor in cover 2 video.

If they're playing cover 2 Diles' zone should be right around the first down line midway between the numbers and the hash marks. That's right where he seems to be. Ryans should be at the same depth but in center of the hash marks and he also seems to be in the right spot.

If it was cover 2 then that play was 70% on Quin for being 10 yards deeper than his zone calls for and 30% just the Giants having the right play to beat the soft spot in the cover 2 zone.


You make a fair point. However, the illustration of Cover 2 is a good one but is a stagnant representation of the defense. The offensive alignment impacts the LB drops/positions. In the play I was showing, one thing that can not be disputed is that Diles and Ryans shouldn't be shoulder to shoulder on their zone drops.
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame
 
dalemurphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Austin
Section: Bullpen/ 636
Age: 40
Posts: 5,710
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Like the way you finish by stating that they corrected a lot of the problems in the 2nd half. Can't wait to see the videos of that.
That first play #3 where KJ just "gets bored" is the kind of stuff that has me so irritated. You're a rookie starting at #1 CB on a team trying to make it to the playoffs for the very first time and you are getting paid WAY more than you've ever made before doing anything else, that's for sure. Keep your head in the game and there's no excuse for effort lapses.

Here you go: Texans Defense figures out some stuff!
__________________
obsessive, passionate coverage of our beloved Texans at : Texans Bull Blog
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor
 
Texan_Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Houston. Mediocrity Lives Here!!
Section: Bull Pen!!
Age: 47
Posts: 48,108
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

News Flash:

Teams are not scared of AJ right now!! What I mean by that is, teams know that AJ is running at about what? 75% if we're lucky???

They know he is hobbled and will take full advantage of that. The Giants showed a "nickel" defense a lot of the time, yet they disguised that with a lot of "run blitzes"... Thus the shut-down of our running game and Arian Foster.


*EDIT*

I apologize!! This post ^^^ was meant for another thread, I think!
__________________
We SUCK AGAIN!

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 10-12-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #11
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith
 
CretorFrigg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Texas
Age: 33
Posts: 2,884
Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

From your video, it seems like Pollard has been making a lot of coverage mistakes. Could he be a major contributor to our defensive woes? Is that why he's racking up so many tackles as a safety?
__________________
CretorFrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,347
Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Like the way you finish by stating that they corrected a lot of the problems in the 2nd half. Can't wait to see the videos of that.

That first play #3 where KJ just "gets bored" is the kind of stuff that has me so irritated. You're a rookie starting at #1 CB on a team trying to make it to the playoffs for the very first time and you are getting paid WAY more than you've ever made before doing anything else, that's for sure. Keep your head in the game and there's no excuse for effort lapses.
He didn't really get bored. He was peeking in the backfield & was confused at what he saw.

Good job on the analysys Dale, I hope more people see this, and cut Kj some slack.
__________________
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #13
Big Lou
Stop Clowning
 
Big Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Section: DirecTV
Age: 39
Posts: 3,071
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'm still very high on the prospects for the 2010 Texans. However, when I expect to see this team excel and it plays like it did on Sunday, I'm compelled to comprehend why. Studying this week's problems, I'm encouraged that the problems seem fixable (much like last year's run defense issues early on). Of course, if these problems linger into the middle of the season, pessimism and bitterness will eventually win out.
I was ready to give up on the season already as late as monday. But today like a good Texan Fan I'm ready to reboot so I'm going to give myself a lobotomy so that I'm ready for Sunday.

OK here goes.... sadhjhslajfhohbvfiyje982rh9d9pnegfiphyefuwofehw[offgvwe uuuhhhhh, ahhhhh jfd9247hjpmfc3ocjmc uuuuhhhhhhhhhh.

Whewy baby I can't wait until Sunday!!!! Texans are going to the playoffs baby!!!!!! Hey how did the Texans get to 3 and 2???? Oh well, thats a winning record, we are awesome!!!!!!! Why do I smell pineapples????
__________________
Nothing is impossible, it just costs more.
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #14
Big Lou
Stop Clowning
 
Big Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Section: DirecTV
Age: 39
Posts: 3,071
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I'm not sure what you're seeing in the 59/54 poor in cover 2 video.

If they're playing cover 2 Diles' zone should be right around the first down line midway between the numbers and the hash marks. That's right where he seems to be. Ryans should be at the same depth but in the center of the hash marks and he also seems to be in the right spot.

If it was cover 2 then that play was 70% on Quin for being 10 yards deeper than his zone calls for and 30% just the Giants having the right play to beat the soft spot in the cover 2 zone.

Thank you for pointing out the cover two sucks. Can we fax this over to old Franky and pick a defensive scheme that doesn't have 10 square miles of turf wide open. Seriously lets try something different!

Ryans is a pretty good LB but he doesn't have the speed to make the Cover 2 work, especially when we have no pass rush, and since Pollard isn't exactly a cover safety.

Since we seem to either have a great or non-exsitent pass rush depending on the day, I say if after a quarter of play if we're not getting pressure then we abandon the Cover 2 and go to a different defense.
__________________
Nothing is impossible, it just costs more.
Big Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #15
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,460
Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
If you can stomach it, we have highlighted seven plays with description and video from the NYG game that pretty well illustrate some of the biggest problems with our pass defense: Texans Bull Blog

1. On this play, there are a number of problems. First, the Texans declared the blitz very early, allowing Manning ample time to audible and/or assess coverage. Second, due to the blitz being identified and the alignment, it is clear the Texans are playing man coverage. On the bottom of the screen, you see Pollard pressing the slot WR. Meanwhile, Jackson is playing soft man on the outside. The entire world knows the two WRs are going to cross… Because Jackson has is playing so deep, this is an easy read and easier pass to complete for Manning. Simply unacceptable defense from design to execution on the part of the back seven.
Wish I can make videos like you, Dale!
Makes it easier for discussions.

Lemme try to give my inputs.

This play here is on 1st and 10 at our 28
It was with about 2:40 to go in the first, after Schaub's ill-advised INT.

I must say I disagree that this is poor "man coverage" by KJ.
Or shall I just say that I have a different take.

We brought 6 on the blitz.

We kept the lone safety (Wilson) on the other side to help Quin and Cushing.
It only makes sense that we have KJ play off-man so he can be like another safety, taking care of the deep route.
We were willing to give up a short/medium pass in exchange for the chance to get a sack (or something more) that would push them out of FG range.

If you notice, there was a point in which Pollard almost passed off his man to KJ to switch to Nicks, but then decided to keep following.

This no doubt slowed KJ down a bit.
Next, he (KJ) had to go around Pollard and his man to get to Nicks.
This put him in an akward position as Nicks made a good cut to the outside.
Ordinarily, this shouldn't be too bad as Pollard was supposed to be there to contain the outside.

The Giants got away with a penalty as Pollard was pushed in the back.
(I guess a penalty could have been called on both guys).

At any rate, Pollard saw what was going on but was taken out of the play.
The first down, IMO, is on Pollard, at least partially.
The two of them were supposed to be working in tandem.

The design of the play was to get a chance to push them out of FG range.
The main excution failure was that we didn't get any pressure.
The seconday failure was that we gave up a bit too much yardage (but then again, there was that push in the back.)
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #16
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,460
Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
2. On this play, we are rushing five and the presence of Pollard in the box confirms to Manning, pre-snap, that we are not playing Cover 2. Futhermore, if you look at the top of the screen, Pollard is lined up playing inside cover technique against the slot receiver.. There is only one other Texan outside of Pollard and that is Quin, who is playing a full 10 yards off of the WR on the outside. Manning, seeing this, knows there will be nobody on the Texans able to cover the flat area where he will hit Nicks for a wide open 7 yard gain.
Again, there's nothing wrong with dropping back into a 3-deep cover shell to have a chance to blitz.

Giving up a short pass is not a big deal, even though some of us may preferred something a bit more exotic.

We tried a stunt with Nading LDE going wide while the WILL Cushing stunted to the inside, but the Giants picked it up nicely.
The pass left Eli's hand in just over 2 secs and he had a clean pocket.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,460
Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
3. We show you two looks at the third play. The first is the pre-snap alignment. Here you will see that the Texans are in a classic Cover 2 look, meaning Jackson has a zone responsibility to the outside and Pollard has the deep half of the field up top. Cushing, the OLB on their side, is responsible for the short zone underneath Pollard and Jackson. If you notice, there is no TE and one WR to their side. So, the two quick reads are the WR and the RB. After that, they will need to look for crossing routes. As the play develops, notice how both Jackson and especially Pollard vacate their coverage responsibility and collapse on the HB in the flat (already covered by Cushing). This leaves Nicks all alone in the end zone. This is basic coverage that any high schooler should understand and these guys (Pollard particularly) totally breakdown in their responsibilities.
This one was all on Pollard.

Demeco dropped back along with the safeties into a 3-deep cover shell.
McCain (not Jackson) did right by staying in his zone to cover the releasing RB.

Watch Pollard's, McCain's and Demeco's expressions.
You can tell Pollard made the mistake.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #18
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,460
Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
On play 4, we are in Cover 2 and it is Jackson’s job to stay tight and underneath the WR using the sideline and Pollard as extra defensemen. However, after about 15 yards, he simply gets bored and starts day-dreaming, allowing Nicks to streak past him on the edge (Nolan was slow to react at Safety as well).
Two-Minute Warning
1-10-NYG 49 (1:58) (Shotgun) E.Manning pass incomplete deep left to H.Nicks.

(I think you put Pollard in by mistake.)

It looks to me like a designed play.
KJ was looking back at the QB the whole time.
He played the inside.

In the meantime, Quin tried to funnel the slot receiver to the outside, but the guy was able to turn back inside.
This prevented Nolan to go all out toward the side line.

(Imagine Quin being able to keep the slot receiver outside.
This would make Nolan's job much easier as he can watch both receivers deep.)

KJ might have slowed down a bit too much???
I don't know for sure.
Imagine Nolan going close to all-out toward the sideline.
Eli would have likely shorten his throw even more.
It sure looks that way if Nolan was to get there sooner to cut off Nicks.
It sure looks like KJ would have had a chance on the ball.

You have to bait the QB sometimes, IMO.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #19
76Texan
Hall of Fame
 
76Texan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,460
Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
On play 5, he just looks like an aggressive rookie. He bites on the stop and go and gets beat for 45 yards. This miscue, though it looks awful, is the least agregious of the five, IMO. At least here, he is beat because of aggressiveness and not laziness or confusion.


This one was all on KJ!
Sure, Eli had a lot of time in a clean pocket (the pass left his hand in about 2-1/2 secs). That doesn't help any CB.

But to get beat to the outside in this situation is bad, all I can say.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 33,347
Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Video Evidence of Pass Defense Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Wish I can make videos like you, Dale!
Makes it easier for discussions.

Lemme try to give my inputs.

This play here is on 1st and 10 at our 28
It was with about 2:40 to go in the first, after Schaub's ill-advised INT.

I must say I disagree that this is poor "man coverage" by KJ.
Or shall I just say that I have a different take.

We brought 6 on the blitz.

We kept the lone safety (Wilson) on the other side to help Quin and Cushing.
It only makes sense that we have KJ play off-man so he can be like another safety, taking care of the deep route.
We were willing to give up a short/medium pass in exchange for the chance to get a sack (or something more) that would push them out of FG range.

If you notice, there was a point in which Pollard almost passed off his man to KJ to switch to Nicks, but then decided to keep following.
This makes me wonder if this was one of those drawn up in the sand type plays. You say Pollard almost passed & switched, which would tell you it was more of a zone type play. But Since Pollard continued with his man... you have to assume it was indeed man.

But why do you man Pollard up in the slot, & Drop Kj?? Why not bring Kj down to bump Nicks & Leave Pollard high, like you're supposed to?
__________________
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger