Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Video Evidence of Schaub's poor play.

This is the worst game I think I've seen from him. Reviewing the game, I was struck at his determination to force the ball into an injured AJ instead of reading and reacting to the Giants' coverage and defense. It also appeared to me that the Giants did a good job scouting and playing to his tendencies and Schaub was unable to adjust.

here's the article with video: Matt Schaub's Struggles
Old 10-12-2010   #2
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video Evidence of Schaub's poor play.

On top of that, other receivers couldn't get open. DA is a waste out there. He lacks ability to seperate, and is too small to shield DB's from the ball. Walter is good, but didn't have a real inspired game either. Add to that the inability to go to the second read and you get Matt's worst game as a Texan.
Old 10-12-2010   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

How many people still want Andre Davis cut?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
How many people still want Andre Davis cut?
What does it matter? He's on IR.
Old 10-12-2010   #5
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88085 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

doesn't matter, Davis is on IR..couldn't bring out there anyway.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
This is the worst game I think I've seen from him. Reviewing the game, I was struck at his determination to force the ball into an injured AJ instead of reading and reacting to the Giants' coverage and defense. It also appeared to me that the Giants did a good job scouting and playing to his tendencies and Schaub was unable to adjust.

On that first play, I think he should have hit KDub on top of Andre. The safety was playing Andre & the Corner was too shallow. That would have been a huge gain if Matt would have led KDub to the outside.
Old 10-12-2010   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
On top of that, other receivers couldn't get open. DA is a waste out there. He lacks ability to seperate, and is too small to shield DB's from the ball. Walter is good, but didn't have a real inspired game either. Add to that the inability to go to the second read and you get Matt's worst game as a Texan.
If you'd have watched the video provided, it wasn't an inability, it was flat out refusal to go to the second read.

& I remember one play where DA was wide open, he just couldn't finish the catch. I know there were more.... & If I remember right there was an offensive penalty on that one anyway.... Dressen's crack back.
Old 10-12-2010   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub really hasn't had a great game this year. He had a good outing against the Redskins, but much of his stats came in the second half of the game while playing from behind. I think our season record will remain contingent on his play over the next 11 games. If he can't get it going then this team won't be able to outscore the opponents.
Old 10-12-2010   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What does it matter? He's on IR.
Alot of people didn't want him on the team. He still brought more to the table and did well as a back up.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #10
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I could be way off, but I think MS is having a hard time adjusting to the new offense. Dude has been missing reads all season. I know there are more, but there are two that still stand out to me. The week 1 pass to JJ when Andre was open for a sure TD a little deeper in the endzone. And week 3 when he threw to OD who was stopped at the one, when JJ had his guy beat on that same side fot a sure TD.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I think little Shanney had a better feel for Matt Schaub strengths, seemed like they ran a lot more quick slants, outs in flats & underneath to the TE's. Dennison is much more traditional long developing play action. in short the main thing that's changed is the OC which has impacted timing, should not have happened but it has.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

These games vs. the NFC East teams reminds me of the days when Schaub played vs. the Titans defense when they had Haynesworth on there.

Teams who make Schaub uncomfortable on a regular basis just seem to end up rattling the whole offense.

I don't know if Schaub is going to make it. He needs a healthy pocket on a consistent basis in order to do his job. And this is something that I have been saying since about week 4 of his first season. The guy is not mobile, doesn't like to move. He's Drew Bledsoe, Jr.

If this team had a mobile guy who can pass the ball, it would make a world of difference. We wouldn't be perfect, but we wouldn't be one-dimensional either.
Old 10-12-2010   #13
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I think little Shanney had a better feel for Matt Schaub strengths, seemed like they ran a lot more quick slants, outs in flats & underneath to the TE's. Dennison is much more traditional long developing play action. in short the main thing that's changed is the OC which has impacted timing, should not have happened but it has.
Interesting analysis. If true, it would say a lot about the problems (growing pains).

My previous post in this thread, IMO, lines up a little bit with what you're saying...because Schaub doesn't need long-developing stuff as much as what's being thrown his way on the playcalling. Our WRs do better when AJ is going deep, clearing out pockets of space for the other receivers.

Also, some freaking draw plays to the RB wouldn't hurt right now, either. Would also help if the run existed, in order to sell a play-action, too.

This offense is in big trouble. They're treading water in the deep end of the pool right now.
Old 10-12-2010   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

What's funny, too, is that Kyle Shanahan dumbed down the playbook for McNabb when they played us in week 2. He gave McNabb three-step drops all day long, short slants and quick routes...and it gave the ball to the receivers so they could do something with it.

It just feels like every pass play is taking 12-seconds to occur.

Matt has paralysis of analysis, instead of quick recognition and reaction. He's staying with his primary target too long before scanning through his progressions, IMO.

In short, he just looks very bad out there.

START LEINART!
Old 10-12-2010   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
These games vs. the NFC East teams reminds me of the days when Schaub played vs. the Titans defense when they had Haynesworth on there.

Teams who make Schaub uncomfortable on a regular basis just seem to end up rattling the whole offense.

I don't know if Schaub is going to make it. He needs a healthy pocket on a consistent basis in order to do his job. And this is something that I have been saying since about week 4 of his first season. The guy is not mobile, doesn't like to move. He's Drew Bledsoe, Jr.

If this team had a mobile guy who can pass the ball, it would make a world of difference. We wouldn't be perfect, but we wouldn't be one-dimensional either.
you've got several posts in this thread with some good insight. And you hit on this on some of them. I don't know that he needs a healthy pocket like you mentioned here. Last year, he was ferry good at reading and deciphering defenses before the snap. We would put someone in motion & that would tell him what he needed to know.

Sunday, we would motion, the Giants wouldn't react & I think Matt would be thinking zone, and that's not what he got.

You've got several posts in this th
Old 10-12-2010   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt Schaub is just an average QB that can have some good games at times but is perfectly capable of throwing up stinkers.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #17
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post

Hey man I like the write up. I know I used to review each game back in the day and I just don't get the chance to anymore... but if you get a chance... you've got the video to do it some time... maybe take a random sample... and look at schaubs "decision making" vs larger NT/DTs (even just video of completions and accuracy) and vs smallish DT/NTs. I know its common sense but what separates Elite QBs from good/great ones is how they handle pressure in their face. For my money schaub has seen way too much of that in this season.

I'm not saying he's not making the right read... and by the way, his instincts are incredible... but for example that shovel pass to foster (that he dropped) if you watch... schaub just seems to "feel" the pressure and pull the ball down just in the nick of time.

He doesn't deal with pressure in his face as well. The second half of the Washington game is the exception to the rule.. he seemed to be able to ignore it... but I don't care how your pre-snap read is... if he can't step up into a pocket he is going to be ineffective.

I think another big problem was the batted down passes. How do you combat that? That made it virtually impossible to get a rhythm.

I've been an advocate of a big fat assed DT for a a while just to push the center into the QB's lap...

Maybe I'm completely wrong... school, and life have me too busy to go back and look right now..

Great writeup i'm just curious how he looked vs the other guys and with pressure in his face. That is the one thing that bothers me about Meyers.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 56079 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Hey man I like the write up. I know I used to review each game back in the day and I just don't get the chance to anymore... but if you get a chance... you've got the video to do it some time... maybe take a random sample... and look at schaubs "decision making" vs larger NT/DTs (even just video of completions and accuracy) and vs smallish DT/NTs. I know its common sense but what separates Elite QBs from good/great ones is how they handle pressure in their face. For my money schaub has seen way too much of that in this season.

I'm not saying he's not making the right read... and by the way, his instincts are incredible... but for example that shovel pass to foster (that he dropped) if you watch... schaub just seems to "feel" the pressure and pull the ball down just in the nick of time.

He doesn't deal with pressure in his face as well. The second half of the Washington game is the exception to the rule.. he seemed to be able to ignore it... but I don't care how your pre-snap read is... if he can't step up into a pocket he is going to be ineffective.

I think another big problem was the batted down passes. How do you combat that? That made it virtually impossible to get a rhythm.

I've been an advocate of a big fat assed DT for a a while just to push the center into the QB's lap...

Maybe I'm completely wrong... school, and life have me too busy to go back and look right now..

Great writeup i'm just curious how he looked vs the other guys and with pressure in his face. That is the one thing that bothers me about Meyers.

Mike

Thanks, Mike...

I don't think Schaub is an elite QB. I think he is very good (somewhere between the 6th and 10th best in the NFL. However, he can still improve. Certainly his pocket presence dramatically improved over the past season. The example of the shovel to Foster is a good example of that presence, as is the TD pass to AJ late in the Redskin game on 4th down.

Regarding batted down balls: the problem was the Oline's refusal to cut block on three step drops. Kubiak even mentioned that they "struggled" to cut the guys on those batted balls but that is what they needed to do. What's odd about that is Myers, Smith, and Caldwell didn't even attempt to cut on those plays... I'm not sure why.
Old 10-12-2010   #19
Sway
Veteran

Rep Power: 182 Sway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respectedSway is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that's always bothered me about Matt is this: he appears to choose his receiver when he's in the huddle. Ball is snapped, and you see him look, but at the same time he's not 'truly' looking for another receiver; it's a tactic. As another poster put it earlier, that explains why he keeps pressing and forcing a pass into 2 or 3 man coverage, and no logical QB would do that and bring on the possible Int. and Matt does it time, and time again. I'm very full of questions. I have no answers, and that sad thing is we're not finding answers in our coaching staff either, and they're the ones who are SUPPOSED to ALWAYS have an answer. hmmmm.
Sway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice video.

The play that speaks the most loudly to me is the bootleg where it was obvious that the nickel corner was goign to blitz.

He was lined up at the line, in front of no one, leaning into the blitz like he was ready for it. Why bootleg in a situation like that. He almost got the *#*$ knocked out of him

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read