Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-12-2010   #1
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The O Line - pass blocking

It seems to me that this year Schaub has had a lot less time in the pocket to throw. I feel like he has lost at least a second or two to throw and hasn't had time to let the play develop. Even against the Redskins he was getting hit pretty regularly, if not sacked. Of course I have no objective data to compare this year to last year.

Have we changed the pass blocking schemes that much? Is it a function of who we are playing, or are teams realizing that they can rush 6 and we rarely call a screen?

Schaub hasn't looked good in the 2 losses this season, and he has to improve, but even so, is the o line just worse this year?
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The O Line - pass blocking

I noticed the same thing, but I wonder how much of it is our pass blocking and how much of it is our WRs/TEs/etc.

Weve got AJ with an injured ankle, Jacoby with a leg issue, Anderson playing poorly, OD still on the mend, etc.

A year ago every time Schaub threw the ball I felt like there weren't any defenders within a 2-3 yard radius of guys. This year they just dont seem to be getting as much seaparation.

I dont know if its on the route runners or on the scheme. Maybe its the on the OL not giving him time for routes to develop. Could be a little of everything
Old 10-12-2010   #3
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

When a teams loses its starting/regular LT and a backup comes in, it can make a big difference in pass protection. Remember most analysts belieive that after the QB the LT is the most important position on the offense.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #4
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I noticed the same thing, but I wonder how much of it is our pass blocking and how much of it is our WRs/TEs/etc.

Weve got AJ with an injured ankle, Jacoby with a leg issue, Anderson playing poorly, OD still on the mend, etc.

A year ago every time Schaub threw the ball I felt like there weren't any defenders within a 2-3 yard radius of guys. This year they just dont seem to be getting as much seaparation.

I dont know if its on the route runners or on the scheme. Maybe its the on the OL not giving him time for routes to develop. Could be a little of everything
Yeah, I think wide out play has something to do with it. AJ has been hurt since week 3 and I'm sure that has affected the ability to cover our receivers.
Old 10-12-2010   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

When Caldwell starts, our OL is much more agressive earlier in the game.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We've also played 3 NFC East teams with bigger linemen than we're made to handle. It's all of the above.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
We've also played 3 NFC East teams with bigger linemen than we're made to handle. It's all of the above.
FYI the Texans took their worst whipping since sometime before the 2009 season from a team that has a smallish Dline - the NFC East Giants starting defensive linemen average under 290 lbs, so the Texans Oline actually had a size advanage.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2010   #8
hradhak
Site Contributor

Well the future D line's we are going to face some aggressive defenses later this year that were as aggressive as the Giants. It doesn't matter how bad our defense is if our offense can do nothing.

We can mask our crappy defense to some extent if our offense can stay on the field. If we can't pass (or run) block, then I can't imagine how we're going to win those games.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read