Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2010   #1
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Defense

It seems to me that a defense that blitzes all the time gets significant pressure on the QB and we do not seem to blitze very much and we hardley ever get significant pressure on the QB. Would it be possible that if we called more Blitzes then we might be able to get pressure on the QB thus helping the secondary from getting lit up. I am not sure how many times we blitz but wityh the lack fo pressure I think it is not that much, Correct me if I am wrong cause I am trying to figure out how we can be so good in the end of the season and come out so Like a strainer to water to start the next season.
Old 10-11-2010   #2
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
It seems to me that a defense that blitzes all the time gets significant pressure on the QB and we do not seem to blitze very much and we hardley ever get significant pressure on the QB. Would it be possible that if we called more Blitzes then we might be able to get pressure on the QB thus helping the secondary from getting lit up. I am not sure how many times we blitz but wityh the lack fo pressure I think it is not that much, Correct me if I am wrong cause I am trying to figure out how we can be so good in the end of the season and come out so Like a strainer to water to start the next season.
I never go back and watch game film, but I have noticed that when we try and blitz the middle of the line the LB's tend to run into brick walls and make no progress.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #3
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCD View Post
I never go back and watch game film, but I have noticed that when we try and blitz the middle of the line the LB's tend to run into brick walls and make no progress.

I hate to be the one pointing out the obvious, but Demeco's play has steadily gotten worse since his rookie year.

He doesn't do a lot of things nearly as well that he did back then, and blitzing seems to be one of his diminishing skills.

He rarely beats his man on the blitz. If he's not coming free, it's like he has no chance of getting there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

A defense that blitz a significant amount of time must have quality corners. And quality cover linebackers if they are dropping into coverage.

A 3-4 defense can blitz effectivly more often since you dont know where the pass rushers are coming from. With a 4-3 the offense know where at LEAST 4 of the pass rushers are coming from 99% of the time. And only have to account for a blitzing linebacker or cornerback off the edge.

Yes, blitzing adds pressure on the QB, but unless your corners can cover up those wide outs the QB can get rid of the ball on a hot read.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
A defense that blitz a significant amount of time must have quality corners. And quality cover linebackers if they are dropping into coverage.
Lots of defenses blitz to get pressure on the QB and force him to make bad decisions which helps out their corners.

I don't agree that their is a right or wrong philosophy..I just think you have to pick and choose your spots...Know when it's a good time to bring heat, and know when to drop 7 or eight...

Quote:
A 3-4 defense can blitz effectively more often since you dont know where the pass rushers are coming from. With a 4-3 the offense know where at LEAST 4 of the pass rushers are coming from 99% of the time. And only have to account for a blitzing linebacker or cornerback off the edge.
We drop Mario into coverage quite a bit. When Barwin was here, we played him in a stand up role quite a bit.

Under Bush we haven't really been a team that constantly rushes 4 down linemen and only blitz a LB or corner...

Quote:
Yes, blitzing adds pressure on the QB, but unless your corners can cover up those wide outs the QB can get rid of the ball on a hot read.
That's the point of the zone blitz...QB makes his hot read and some defender is creeping in that zone...You drop your DE back and QB thinks that short slant is available but it's not...

It's all about the effectiveness of your schemes and personnel...

Yeah, if you just blitz your mike up the A gap that is nothing special. Get more creative. Get smarter.
Old 10-11-2010   #6
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114971 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Horrible play from the defensive tackles explains most of it, both on the blitz and on run plays.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #7
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."

What do you think about your team's execution:

"I'm all for it!" ...

~Coach John McKay
Old 10-11-2010   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I hate to be the one pointing out the obvious, but Demeco's play has steadily gotten worse since his rookie year.

He doesn't do a lot of things nearly as well that he did back then, and blitzing seems to be one of his diminishing skills.

He rarely beats his man on the blitz. If he's not coming free, it's like he has no chance of getting there.
I agree, but I don't know why.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I don't either...He still gets his fair share of tackles, but it seems like he used to get more tackles for loss than he does now...

He used to be a more up the field type player...

May have something to do with the smaller DT's playing the penetrating style which leaves the LB's vulnerable, but I don't think that is the only reason....

He just hasn't played as well...
Old 10-11-2010   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Could be that teams scheme for him now while as a rookie teams didn't take as great a note of him.
Old 10-11-2010   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hate smaller DTs! I'm so sick of that! Hey, lets switch to a 3-4 and get a tiny, little quick NT....sheeeesh!

While we're at it, let's replace KJ with Okoye and have him back off the WR 15 or 20 yards. That'll stop 'em!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Could be that teams scheme for him now while as a rookie teams didn't take as great a note of him.
Well.....eventually, they'll stop scheming for him if he keeps up what he's doing...
Old 10-11-2010   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 36798 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Inside LB's are not consistently going to beat inner OL for sacks, they are just at a severe disadvantage. I can't remember the last time I saw a premier ILB with lots of sacks in the 4-3 alignment.

As for why his diminishing play it's probably the fact that he runs into Amobi being drove 3-4 yards down the field not allowing him to flow and hit the gap. How did Amobi do this game before I was really able to get past the excitement and watch the game I saw Mitchel in more than Amobi, he seems a bit more effective against the pass at least.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #14
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114971 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't either...He still gets his fair share of tackles, but it seems like he used to get more tackles for loss than he does now...

He used to be a more up the field type player...

May have something to do with the smaller DT's playing the penetrating style which leaves the LB's vulnerable, but I don't think that is the only reason....
He just hasn't played as well...
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I would say this is why.

Most interior linemen seem to get a free release more-often then not.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Hate to sound like a broken record, but I would say this is why.

Most interior linemen seem to get a free release more-often then not.
The things is we play a different kind of defense than we used to.

We used to play a defense where the D linemen held up the O-line at the LOS...They would read and react...In that kind of defense you rely a lot more on your LB's to shoot gaps and make the plays...

Now we play a defense where we want our D-line to penetrate off the snap and then re-direct to where the ball is going...

That in itself means that Demceo will be taking on more O-linemen...

But the off-set should be more broken plays in the backfield because our D-line is penetrating breaking stuff up...

The run defense hasn't been all that bad this year so I can't say I have a problem with that philosophy...

The LB's need to be able to fight off blocks or avoid them completely...Too often I've seen Demeco do neither...If he can only make plays when he is untouched or when the D-Line completely eats up the blockers then he's not that good...

He's better than that...I've seen it with my own eyes...Just wondering where it's gone..
Old 10-11-2010   #16
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Inside LB's are not consistently going to beat inner OL for sacks, they are just at a severe disadvantage. I can't remember the last time I saw a premier ILB with lots of sacks in the 4-3 alignment.

As for why his diminishing play it's probably the fact that he runs into Amobi being drove 3-4 yards down the field not allowing him to flow and hit the gap. How did Amobi do this game before I was really able to get past the excitement and watch the game I saw Mitchel in more than Amobi, he seems a bit more effective against the pass at least.
Sad but true.

Three questions come immediately to mind.

1) Was Demeco always playing the Mike in his career with us? I'm thinking yes, but my memory gets hazy at times.

2) Who was at DT during his Pro Bowl seasons?

3) He appears heavier now. I wonder if he's bulked up to gain longevity but lost mobility to do so.....

Just thinking out loud on number 3. I have no empirical data for that particular thought.
Old 10-11-2010   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And with Darryl Sharpton here, this is pretty much his last year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #18
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
And with Darryl Sharpton here, this is pretty much his last year.
DeMeco's last year here? I doubt it. Just gave him a 6 yr extension
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #19
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Team needs to change how they scout for DTs and CBs.

Enough with the 'Small quick mobile' DTs
Enough with the 'Physical, and play against the run' CBs

It ain't working. We get no push inside. Oh if we had a big space eating DT it would do WONDERS for Mario and the LBs.

Our corners hardly EVER play the ball. It's almost like they think the objective of playing CB is to rack up tackles. Sometimes they are right there to make the play but look completely confused as to where the ball is.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #20
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 8443 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that our blitz packages are unintersting. We just don't have the secondary to play man coverage when we do blitz.
Even so, we are getting burned by not blitzing and letting the opposing QB pick us apart, so why not blitz with different schemes to at least try and rattle the QB.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read