Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-11-2010   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bill Parcells ?

Is it time for McNair to consider bringing in this guy, because our fundamental problem is failing to select enough good football players to compete with the better teams in the league - Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak aren't getting that done. I think Parcells is now available with the ownership change in Miami ?
Deep South native Bob McNair can keep his black GM and continue to feel good about his affirmative action politics, all Parcells wants is power and money, he doesn't care about job titles. In other words Smith can continue
to be the teams GM, except when it comes to personnel decisions. Parcells runs the Draft and hires the FAs.
This means of course we go 3-4 defense and Kubiak is gone because Parcells wants no part of any ZB system, it'll strictly be power-drive blocking with his Oline and nobody is under 325 lbs.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill Parcells ?

Only if Belichick is on his staff.

Way to invoke race into a football discussion, says a lot about a person.
Old 10-11-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 25411 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 10-11-2010   #4
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've never negative repped anybody. First time for everything.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #5
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
Deep South native Bob McNair can keep his black GM and continue to feel good about his affirmative action politics, all Parcells wants is power and money, he doesn't care about job titles.
Really? Seriously?
Old 10-11-2010   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

This kind of jackassery should be banned from Texans Talk. Mods - find a rule this violates and kick this douche off the board for good it reflects poorly on all of us.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #7
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35188 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Way to invoke race into a football discussion, says a lot about a person.
My observation was meant as more of a redemption of the conscious of a man of the deep South like Bob McNair, a native South Carolinian. An atonement of guilt if you will. However if you choose to make it about race, that's your call.
But I think Bob Mcnair is a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity ?
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2010   #8
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 19346 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is it time for McNair to consider bringing in this guy, because our fundamental problem is failing to select enough good football players to compete with the better teams in the league - Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak aren't getting that done. I think Parcells is now available with the ownership change in Miami ?
Deep South native Bob McNair can keep his black GM and continue to feel good about his affirmative action politics, all Parcells wants is power and money, he doesn't care about job titles. In other words Smith can continue
to be the teams GM, except when it comes to personnel decisions. Parcells runs the Draft and hires the FAs.
This means of course we go 3-4 defense and Kubiak is gone because Parcells wants no part of any ZB system, it'll strictly be power-drive blocking with his Oline and nobody is under 325 lbs.
You don't think this team has enough talent to compete? I disagree there is a lot more talent on this team than probably 2/3's of the NFL. There are some glaring holes, but show me a tema that doesn't have some. Depth has gotten better as well. This is a deeper issues than talent.
Old 10-11-2010   #9
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My observation was meant as more of a redemption of the conscious of a man of the deep South like Bob McNair, a native South Carolinian. An atonement of guilt if you will. However if you choose to make it about race, that's your call.
But I think Bob Mcnair is a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity ?
So basically you don't think Rick Smith is qualified to be a NFL GM and has his job due to his race?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just don't see how you could come away with this opinion just because he's from South Carolina or the South. There are plenty of black HC's and GM's around the league. I highly doubt that Smith is here "because" he's black.

Any way, getting back on topic I'd love to have Parcells come in here. Him running the personal decisions instead of Smith would be a huge upgrade by far. I highly doubt that it would ever happen though. Mcnair just doesn't seem to be the kind of owner to go out of his way to get the big fish like Parcells if we look at his history and that tells us anything.

We're going to probably be stuck with Smith for a while.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
So basically you don't think Rick Smith is qualified to be a NFL GM and has his job due to his race?
I won't say that but it sure isn't due to track record or results. I think it had more to do with him being a friend of kubiak and being from Denver.

Rick isn't here because he is black he is here because he is a kubiak crony. Now him being black could be nice because executive positions have been tough to come by for minorities and it might be a tertiary benefit

I like having a black gm
I dislike having horrible talent evaluation
Specifically in the secondary and that should be his strength as he played DB

The guy may have been outofline going to race card with his post but it MAY have played a slight factor in him being considered

Smithiak better turn it around and fast
Old 10-11-2010   #12
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I think Bill Parcells is one of the 2 best men in the business at evaluating NFL prospects, and I think he's now available and he'll usually go to work for the highest bidder, assuming he also has control of all player personnel decisions.
Oh BTW, the other top guy isn't available because he has lifelong
long employment with the Ravens. He's their GM and his name is Ozzie Newsome.
Old 10-11-2010   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31247 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Are you serious? That's just lame and a horrible direction to try to point the finger. Honestly, that's one of the worst things I've read on here. If we lose, so be it, but it isn't because McNair felt like he had to hire an unqualified black man. I personally think that Smith has done a great job as our GM. If he fails, it's because of decisions that he makes, not because he's a black man.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is an offense post to me becuase of some subtly that was placed in this post.

First you take a broad swipe. You specifically made it about race when you referred to Smith as a Black GM. The whole point of your post was that McNair hired a neophyte with very little football management experience in Smith. You could have referred to him as such or but you intentionally interjected race into this topic.

Secondly, you made an assumption about Bob McNair and the, "conscious of a man of the deep South." What has he specifically said or done that has led to this belief that he wants to, "make amends for his culture." Please educate me as to your specific source material. Please provide direct quotes and sources.

I become offended with the following quote, "But I think Bob Mcnair is a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity" Why should a "good and decent man" need to make amends for his culture? Are you saying that a person who does not want to do that is by definition NOT a good and decent man? As a man of color I am offended when white individuals are taught or are made to feel guilty for being white. Feeling guilty about the color of your skin is akin to thinking color of skin means good or bad things. THAT is a horrible way of thinking.

Many of Diversity classes I have taken have hammered this point home and in each one I have raised the same point. Of course the professor or leader was unable to refute it. The whole nonsense of White guilt irritates the hell out of me. Bob McNair did not specifically do anything (that I am aware) in terms of racial discrimination. Is there racism in the US? Sure, of course there is. But we continue it and we allow it to fester when we apply these types of thoughts. White guilt is discriminatory. You are in essence saying that becuase a person is not white they must have suffered terrible societal injustices. BS. One does not solve discrimination by ladling on extra discrimination.

And THAT is why I found your post offensive. You did not come out any say any of this, but you slipped in, "a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity" as an after thought and portrayed it in such a way that anyone who would even deign to disagree would look like a racist or culturally insensitive.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #15
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith is a bright spot in this organisation.

The issues are on the field not in the front office.
Old 10-11-2010   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Implied facepalm!!
When something is so ****ing ******* A full and proper facepalm isn'tt even necessary!!

Why did I even read this thread?

Bill!
Old 10-11-2010   #17
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 474 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
This is an offense post to me becuase of some subtly that was placed in this post.

First you take a broad swipe. You specifically made it about race when you referred to Smith as a Black GM. The whole point of your post was that McNair hired a neophyte with very little football management experience in Smith. You could have referred to him as such or but you intentionally interjected race into this topic.

Secondly, you made an assumption about Bob McNair and the, "conscious of a man of the deep South." What has he specifically said or done that has led to this belief that he wants to, "make amends for his culture." Please educate me as to your specific source material. Please provide direct quotes and sources.

I become offended with the following quote, "But I think Bob Mcnair is a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity" Why should a "good and decent man" need to make amends for his culture? Are you saying that a person who does not want to do that is by definition NOT a good and decent man? As a man of color I am offended when white individuals are taught or are made to feel guilty for being white. Feeling guilty about the color of your skin is akin to thinking color of skin means good or bad things. THAT is a horrible way of thinking.

Many of Diversity classes I have taken have hammered this point home and in each one I have raised the same point. Of course the professor or leader was unable to refute it. The whole nonsense of White guilt irritates the hell out of me. Bob McNair did not specifically do anything (that I am aware) in terms of racial discrimination. Is there racism in the US? Sure, of course there is. But we continue it and we allow it to fester when we apply these types of thoughts. White guilt is discriminatory. You are in essence saying that becuase a person is not white they must have suffered terrible societal injustices. BS. One does not solve discrimination by ladling on extra discrimination.

And THAT is why I found your post offensive. You did not come out any say any of this, but you slipped in, "a good and descent man, and I think he's the kind of man who wants to make amends for his culture, his history when given the opportunity" as an after thought and portrayed it in such a way that anyone who would even deign to disagree would look like a racist or culturally insensitive.
Well Said....
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #18
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Rick Smith is a bright spot in this organisation.

The issues are on the field not in the front office.
Molden
McCain
Jackson
Quinn

Not exactly good picks to date

Yeah the players play but he chose those players and he decided to not try an improve last years group, which were already less than stellar, and felt it was prudent to let Dunta go as a UFA

The players need to make plays but he personally chose to put this group out there and surmised that they would be sufficient if not excellent.

He was wrong and that is on him
Jackson looks like garbage and no one can honestly dispute that. He looks like a UDFA at best andthat is on smith
Old 10-11-2010   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Jackson looks like garbage and no one can honestly dispute that. He looks like a UDFA at best andthat is on smith
The draft is a crap shoot, and we all know that. 1st round picks fail frequently for all GMs. This does not mean I'm excusing Jackson, 'cause he looks like **** right now, but instead I think over all the drafts by Smith have been pretty good.

It's what Kubiak has been doing with that talent and the coaches he hires that would appear to be a problem. At least that's how I see it.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #20
The Third Man
All Pro

Rep Power: 6349 The Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Third Man is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"Affirmative action politics?" Don't let a loss turn you into a jackass in public.
The Third Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read