Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-10-2010   #1
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Pass defense the worst in the history of the NFL?

The Texans, through 5 games, are giving up an average of 329.6 yards per game passing. Let's assume they improve immensely and only give up an average of 250/game the rest of the year. That would still leave them giving up an average of 275/game for the season.

I looked back through 1977 to see what the most yards/game passing a defense has given up in a season. Before 1977, teams didn't even give up more than 200 yards/game, even the worst teams, so I stopped there.

The worst pass defense, statistically speaking, in history is the 1995 Falcons defense. They gave up 283.8 yards/game passing.

The worst of the rest...
2005 49ers - 276.7
1986 Jets - 274.3
1981 Chargers - 269.4
2002 Chargers - 268.4
1985 Chargers - 268.3
2009 Lions - 265.6

I was sitting in the stadium today watching this debacle, and it dawned on me that we don't have what normal fans would call a bad pass defense. That's like saying that the Chicago Cubs are in a dry spell. This is statistically the worst pass defense, by far, in the history of the NFL.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #2
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pass defense the worst in the history of the NFL?

rep to ya for digging up some really ugly stuff. Like I said on the main board a few weeks ago. If the Texans don't make a trade or free agent pickup to fix the secondary then this will be a long season and one with no playoffs. And hopefully a clearing out of the coaching staff if they go .500
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Capers = horrible QB.

Kubiak = bad secondary.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Just fugly.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #5
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 61470 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanTool View Post
LaidownTexans&coaches!

Another big game, another big time BLOW OUT LOST at home! The same , old dead-fense surprise no one again! The DEAD-last defense allowed every teams that played them an average of 408yrds per game, a fun field day passing, and for the biggest bonus of all,..a guarantee of 25.5 points or higher if they are not satisfied! The pathetic NFL WORST secondary DB should be cut, especially K Jackson. He is a BIGGEST BUST since Carr, what a big time loser,…he got creamed(Kreamed) on every single games,…TOO SHORT!TOO SLOW!TOO many big plays/TDs giver! The dead-fense never shown up on any games!
Frank Bush should be FIRED ASAP! You don't belong in the NFL (Not For Loser!)
We thought the Texans & Coaches staff learned a hard lesson after the Cowdungboys , but no, history repeated itself again , and again!

Let the grade report be shown!
Against the NFC East Cowdungboys & GiddyGiants

Dead-fense grade- --F that's 5 games straight & counting!
Off-fense grade--- F off day in big time game again, especially at HOME!
Special less Team ---F lots of same, old, dumb miscued & penalties!
Coaches Staff ----- F- Got out-coached again, 5 days to prepared, and that's the result!

The second Blow Out games in front of 70K+home fans, Mr. Mac air, Senior G. Bush , is beyond Pathetic, the Suckle Texans look like the first year NFL expansion team again, again & again!
Same exact post found at Chron.com under article by Richard Justice.........(happened to see it there before I came here.....)

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamamyers View Post
This is statistically the worst pass defense, by far, in the history of the NFL.
It's the Texans, we don't do nothing half assed here! LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #7
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

On the bright side, our run defense is one of the best in the league!
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2010   #8
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
On the bright side, our run defense is one of the best in the league!
Now, is that because we actually stop the run, or because no one runs against us?
Old 10-11-2010   #9
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Now, is that because we actually stop the run, or because no one runs against us?
I wouldn't run against us. We have zero pass rush and the secondary leaks like a sieve..... There's no need to run.
Old 10-11-2010   #10
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak said it best in his post game interview. Giants were up 14 pts late in the forth qtr and STILL passing the ball. Talk about an OBVIOUS slap in the face to what the Giants thought of our pass coverage........yeesh.
thegr8fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #11
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I wouldn't run against us. We have zero pass rush and the secondary leaks like a sieve..... There's no need to run.
Exactly my point. Hurra for statistics
Old 10-11-2010   #12
panamamyers
Veteran

Rep Power: 1738 panamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respectedpanamamyers is a quality contributor and well respected

I just wish there was some sliver of hope I could cling to in order to believe it will be turned around. I'm just not seeing it.
We have to have the worst pass rush in the league.
We have the youngest secondary in the league.

Even Mario, our lone bright spot on the line, is wildly inconsistent. He will get that one sack per game, but the other 39 times the qb drops back, he rarely even applies any heat. It's feast or famine with that guy.

Cushing actually made an impact in my opinion, contrary to what I have read and heard from others. When he blitzed, he was usually able to find a lane to come free.

I just think we need to throw the kitchen sink at them on defense. You look at a lot of these other teams out there, they are bringing a different look on every single play. Whether it be corners coming, safeties, linebackers, dropping ends and tackles back into coverage.

Our defense has a severe lack of sophistication in comparison to the league in my opinion.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #13
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

"We just gotta get better and find a way to fix it" - GK

aka I have no real answer.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #14
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams: Man of Mystery Injuries.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm watching a little MNF tonight and I find that I just can't watch a game with Revis in it and not get pissed off that we passed on this guy to take Amobi Okoye. This is the wrong thing to be watching after yesterdays embarrassment. I'm turning this crap off.
Old 10-12-2010   #16
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm watching a little MNF tonight and I find that I just can't watch a game with Revis in it and not get pissed off that we passed on this guy to take Amobi Okoye. This is the wrong thing to be watching after yesterdays embarrassment. I'm turning this crap off.
Revis IMO is highly overrated. The guy has been getting burned consistently this year. I have noticed this year that while Cromartie has been up and down, he has had quite a few great plays.

I feel it's more or less how the rest of the defense plays that makes Revis looks so good rather than his actual ability. Out of that draft, I would have rather taken Patrick Willis than Revis.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
We didn't try for Cromartie either, despite knowing our secondary would be this young (and terrible). But if it makes you feel any better, Revis wouldn't be as good as he is if we would have drafted him. He'd play off the WR in a soft cushion, never look back for the ball, and pass the WR off to non-existent safeties.
Old 10-12-2010   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
We didn't try for Cromartie either, despite knowing our secondary would be this young (and terrible). But if it makes you feel any better, Revis wouldn't be as good as he is if we would have drafted him. He'd play off the WR in a soft cushion, never look back for the ball, and pass the WR off to non-existent safeties.
Yup. Every secondary player we've had on this defense has regressed substantially at some point in there career while here.

Bennett was supposed to be the best up and coming CB after his rookie season. Oops

Reeves had a great year his first year here. Then nothing.

The list goes on and on. Unfortunately, it looks like KJax listened to the coaches too much
Old 10-12-2010   #19
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm tired of seeing the secondary getting burned by EVERYBODY! Seriously if you're playing the Texans count on getting 400 yards of total offense and padding your stats. I always thought that if you played secondary you:

a. played the ball and NOT the receiver.

b. watched the QB's eyes as he's invariably going to LOOK at what he's throwing.

c. Get between the receiver and the ball

d. if you fail to get between the receiver and the ball your job was to break ever vuggin' bone in his body by becoming a receiver seeking missle as your way of congratulating him on such a nice catch.

There are sparks of brilliance in the Texans secondary, but they either need to figure out some way of getting those young men to turn those sparks into a full on furnance and to stoke it. If it can't be done let them all make their way to other teams or get lucrative careers parking cars somewhere.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
There are sparks of brilliance in the Texans secondary....
Really? I mean I've seen sparks, but I'm not sure they were sparks of brilliance.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read