Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Tickets, Memorabilia and Gear
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010   #1
HouTexans
Rookie

Default Academy Sports & Outdoors sucks

Okay, so maybe they don't suck in every aspect, however in this particular one...THEY DO!
As many of you saw this past Sunday during the Texans/Raiders game, many Texans players as well as Raiders players had on assorted pink colored sweatbands, chin guards, gloves, caps and/or cleats all in support of the 2010Breast Cancer Awareness campaign. As a matter of fact the entire NFL participate in this worthwell cause each year. Now, for those of you who have not been affected or have had your mother, wife, daughter, cousin or friend becoming a victim of this (or if you simply don't care), then this does not apply. But, even as just a Texans fan, you may bother you as well.
On Wednesday, October 6, 2010, my wife and I went to the Academy over off of Kirby because I wanted to buy the navy blue Texans' cap trimmed in pink. Well, they didn't have any....BUT....they had the Cowboys one. Here in a city that has one of the largest cancer research hospitals in the world and no caps of the hometown team supporting this cause. It only got worse.
So, I called the Academy offices...now Academy is based over in Katy...although not Houston, still in the metro Houston area and whether they like it or not, are a part of the Texans' market. Nonetheless, a woman Academy representative did call me back and she gave me the standard, "preformatted" (I really don't give a crap) apology. So, I asked that if Cowboys' caps of this style were ordered, then why not Texans' ones? Again, after all THIS WAS HOUSTON. After going back and forth, this woman eventually told me that, Honestly, the Texans have never been that popular until this year. Furthermore, all the buying had already been done for this year, but they would learn from this and maybe next year. WHAT?!..this despite the article in the Chronicle (Texans hike apparel sales. September 21, 2010). I knew then that I was either talking to a complete ***** or an obvious Cowboys fan.
I tried to explain that IF THE DAMN CAP IS NOT EVEN ORDERED AND PUT UP FOR SALE HERE IN THE TEXANS' HOMETOWN...THEN HOW THE HELL CAN THEY DETERMINE IF IT WON'T SELL!!....you know the "Build it and they will come" theory. Again, this "local" company had these breast cancer awareness Cowboys' caps...but no Texans' ones....even though Academy claims to be the "Official Retailer for the Houston Texans" or so it says on the back of the Texans' pocket schedules.
Anyway, I found it and if you are looking for the navy blue "coaches" cap trimmed in pink because this cause is important to you... then look over at LIDS (Memorial City)...they have them...NOT ACADEMY....thanks for your "hometown" support Academy.
Go Texans
HouTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #2
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Academy Sports & Outdoors sucks

Academy is a great store, my daughter calls it "The Daddy Store". It sounds like they dropped the ball on this one.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard similiar complaints in the past, screw the Cowboys and screw Academy. Shop online.
Old 10-09-2010   #4
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
I've heard similiar complaints in the past, screw the Cowboys and screw Academy. Shop online.
How about screw all the Houstonians that root for Dallas and make shit like this happen?

Honestly, I can't really blame Academy. If their market research leads them to the conclusion that Texans gear such as this simply won't sell that well here and they will be better off selling Cowboys crap, I can't blame them. They are a profit driven company, and they want to make profitable business decisions.

Now, don't me wrong. I don't like it anymore than the rest of you, but it is what it is. The problem is with all the jackasses that were born and raised here yet couldn't handle the losing with the Oilers or the losing in the early years of the Texans and thus decided to root for that team north of us.
Old 10-09-2010   #5
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Win and all will be well.
Old 10-09-2010   #6
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Academy Sports & Outdoors sucks

Academy at Kirby and 59 typically does not have much Texans stuff - UNTIL the last month. NOW they FINALLY carry more Texans stuff than Cowboys stuff.

In general - I get what people will say 'free market' 'demand based' etc.

But if you're a huge Texans sponsor ('Liberty White Kickoff Headquarters' anyone?) - stores within a radius of Reliant should at least carry Texans gear.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #7
Javi
Rookie

Academy on highway 290 and 34th has the navy blue caps with the pink trims.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2010   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

The Academy next to my house has more Browns stuff than Texans thanks to Colt McCoy.

Actually they have an assortment of NFL caps however no Texans ones. There is a new coaches hat design I like this season. I was able to buy the Giants one at Academy however I had to buy the Texans one online.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Please tell me that you didn't blow up on the customer service representative
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
The Academy next to my house has more Browns stuff than Texans thanks to Colt McCoy.

Actually they have an assortment of NFL caps however no Texans ones. There is a new coaches hat design I like this season. I was able to buy the Giants one at Academy however I had to buy the Texans one online.
Check out the Dick's Sporting Goods in Pflugerville. They seem to have a steady dose of small but very nice assortment of Texans gear.
Old 10-09-2010   #11
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Check out the Dick's Sporting Goods in Pflugerville. They seem to have a steady dose of small but very nice assortment of Texans gear.
Cool will do. The Dick's at the Domain doesn't have much ... well at least when I was there last which was 2 months ago. Maybe that has changed.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #12
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 18298 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Angry Re: Academy Sports & Outdoors sucks

The Katy Mills has a Cowboys store inside it, a Cowboys store in Houston
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #13
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
The Katy Mills has a Cowboys store inside it, a Cowboys store in Houston
There is a Cowboys store here in the mall at Albuquerque, I resist the urge to burn in down every time I pass. I kid, I kid....kinda.
Old 10-09-2010   #14
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

The Academy here in Temple doesn't have a LICK of Texans gear. EVERYTHING is cowboys and UT. We're 30 minutes from Baylor, and Baylor only has 1 small rack.

Wal-mart is even worse. Literally a whole SECTION of Cowboys and UT gear, with nothing else offered.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #15
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
The Academy here in Temple doesn't have a LICK of Texans gear. EVERYTHING is cowboys and UT. We're 30 minutes from Baylor, and Baylor only has 1 small rack.

Wal-mart is even worse. Literally a whole SECTION of Cowboys and UT gear, with nothing else offered.
Do you ask for Texans gear when you go in?
Brain Cushing
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010   #16
Stemp
Brew Master

Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
Do you ask for Texans gear when you go in?
I did, but they look at me like I'm an alien. Many don't even know that Texas HAS another NFL team. My wife went to the Academy couple of years ago to find me a Christmas gift and asked if they had Texans gear. The girl took her to the UT section.

My wife: "No, TEXANS not Texas".
Girl : "Oh. I don't know. Who are they"
My wife: "Houston's football team"
Girl: "Oh. I don't think we have it. We have Cowboys gear, will that work?"
My wife:
Old 10-09-2010   #17
Stemp
Brew Master

I will say this. I've gotten compliments on my Texans license plates though. When I picked them up at the Bell County tax office last year, the lady hadn't seem them before and was showing them off to her co-workers.
Old 10-09-2010   #18
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
I did, but they look at me like I'm an alien. Many don't even know that Texas HAS another NFL team. My wife went to the Academy couple of years ago to find me a Christmas gift and asked if they had Texans gear. The girl took her to the UT section.

My wife: "No, TEXANS not Texas".
Girl : "Oh. I don't know. Who are they"
My wife: "Houston's football team"
Girl: "Oh. I don't think we have it. We have Cowboys gear, will that work?"
My wife:

Understand. But until they start getting a demand, they ain't gonna supply...

Sucks, but that's the way it is. After they win tomorrow, you need to go to Academy and Wally world and talk to the store manager and tell them you want to spend money on Texans gear. If you and a few others do this, they will get a small amount in. If that sells good, they will get more...

And you know all that.

But then again, cowgurl ignorance is awfully strong.
Brain Cushing

Last edited by JB; 10-10-2010 at 07:25 AM.
JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010   #19
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10049 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Academy Sports & Outdoors sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
There is a Cowboys store here in the mall at Albuquerque, I resist the urge to burn in down every time I pass. I kid, I kid....kinda.
"...and hey, don't tell anyone I said that, in case it ends up burned down" (paraphrasing from The League).
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010   #20
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

I went in Academy this weekend and maybe this does'nt bother yall but it did me. The had a little stuffed bear with a Texans throw blanket and on the label it read Texans mascot with matching throw blanket. Really a Bear that looks just like the chicago bears mascot and your calling it the Texans mascot!

Texans=Bull (Toro) not a damn bear!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Tickets, Memorabilia and Gear
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read