Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-08-2010   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bulluck out Sintim in

Quote:
The second-year linebacker had what defensive coordinator Perry Fewell termed "an excellent week of practice" in place of Keith Bulluck. Bulluck is still sidelined with turf toe and is expected to miss his second straight game when the Giants take on the Texans Sunday.

"It is (frustrating)," Bulluck said, "knowing that the way we play here we have a lot of packages and knowing my package is going to be up a lot this week and I'm not going to be able to go out there and perform. The Tennessee game I was starting to hit strides as far as I was playing more, getting more active, coming around as a football player."

Those packages are designed to stop the Houston run game. Bulluck would have been featured. Instead it will be Sintim, who essentially lost his job in preseason, getting the important snaps at linebacker.

Houston is fourth in the league in rushing attempts and 16th in passing attempts. Arian Foster is the league's leading rusher by a large margin; he has 537 yards to No. 2 Rashard Mendenhall's 411. Behind Foster the Texans are No. 1 in rushing yards per attempt (5.5) and per game (172).

They employ a zone blocking scheme that coach Gary Kubiak brought from his days as an offensive coordinator in Denver. Zone blocking involves moving an entire offensive line to one side, thereby blocking an area of the field instead of specific defensive players.

"It's really a good scheme," Fewell said, "and you have to be disciplined defensively and if you're not, they can crease you, and then (Foster's) good he has good vision, and when he sees the hole, he can plant his foot and turn up in the hole, and he has enough speed that he can accelerate through that hole and gain 10, 12, 14 sometimes take it the distance."

Even though Bulluck sat last week against Chicago, Sintim didn't play much. The Bears have a pass-happy offense, so a linebacker was often substituted out for an extra defensive back. He said he was disappointed about the base package being used so little.

Knowing how much he'll see the field this Sunday, his excitement has to be tempered. The desire to make a play can undermine the strict gap discipline needed against zone-blocking offenses.

"I think you've just got to be composed and understand what you're there for," Sintim said. "It's a team defense. If everybody plays team defense the individuals are going to make plays when they have the opportunity. So I've just got to be patient and wait for my opportunity and take advantage of it when I get it."
http://www.lohud.com/article/2010100...ll-with-Texans
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bulluck out Sintim in

Giants have a bunch of injuries...

I like Sintim moving forward, but I'd really like to challenge him in pass coverage...

I don't think he can stick with any of our TE's....
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read