Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-08-2010   #1
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Derrick Ward bad-mouthing Tampa...

Quote:
TAMPA — Former Bucs RB Derrick Ward stirred up the Tampa Bay locker room with critical remarks about the team.

In an interview with the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger, Ward said his new team, the Texans, "actually wants to block for their running backs (and) actually wants to win." He also alleged the Bucs bad-mouthed him after releasing him in August by telling other clubs he was overweight.

"It's the same across the entire offensive line. We have a job to do," Bucs C Jeff Faine said. "Most of the time, I don't even know who's back there. I'm not even looking in the huddle.

"For him to say we blocked differently when he's in the game, I think that's pretty far from the truth. He's still a friend of mine, and it's unfortunate he's decided to go this way and say the things he's saying. But we didn't block any differently with him in there than we did with any other running back."

Ward spent five seasons with the Giants, rushing for 1,025 in his final one, before signing a four-year, $17 million deal with the Bucs in March 2009. Last season, he rushed for 409 yards and one touchdown then was released Aug. 31. In four games as Houston's backup to Arian Foster, he has 14 carries for 84 yards and one touchdown.

Bucs RB Cadillac Williams took particular offense to one comment. Ward said, "I feel like I went straight from New York to Houston," suggesting he has blocked out his season in Tampa.

"I'm not surprised he would say something like that," Williams said. "The guy is a good friend, and I wish him the best. He's happy (in Houston), but I don't know if he really bought into the whole Tampa thing.

"This here is a team sport. So when things aren't going right or aren't going well, the worst thing you can do is start pointing fingers."
Quote:
Ward was signed by the Texans, and with Houston set to play host to the Giants on Sunday, Ward blasted the Buccaneers in remarks made to the Newark Star-Ledger.

"I didn't play against them the way I wanted to,'' Ward said of last year's effort against the Giants, who limited Ward to two yards in five carries during a 24-0 victory in Tampa. "This year, I'm on a better team, a team that actually wants to win, compete and get to that next level.''

Tampa Bay coach Raheem Morris said he was aware of Ward's remarks.

"We don't want to talk about players that have nothing to do with the game this week,'' Morris said. "We're not going to comment about guys who are no longer here. I just wish Derrick Ward the best.''

Ward denied any suggestion he was overweight this summer, saying he was only two pounds over the 233-pound goal Houston set for him.

He said the Texans are "a team that actually wants to block for their running backs, actually wants to win and doesn't set their goals to a (lower) standard.''
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/footb...texans/1126599

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/oct...d/sports-bucs/
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Derrick Ward bad-mouthing Tampa...

Jackass.
Old 10-08-2010   #3
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Jackass.
Look on the bright side, he likes it here.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's right, Tampa sucks.

Ougta keep his trap shut though.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #5
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
'Course he likes it here. He went from 400 yards last year to 6 yds. a carry with the Texans blockers. He just needs to not be so bluntly honest.

Old 10-08-2010   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
He's right, Tampa sucks.

Ougta keep his trap shut though.
I'd bet Rick Smith told him exactly that.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #7
Ckw

Quote:
Jackass.
I agree to a point. Guys do need to be careful about what they say to the media, but the fact is Tampa sucks and the run game is pitiful. 4th worst in the entire league. Also, unless he changed big time between the time he was released and when we signed him, it was messed up for the Bucs to call him overweight. I'd be pretty pissed if it was me.
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2010   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Also, unless he changed big time between the time he was released and when we signed him, it was messed up for the Bucs to call him overweight. I'd be pretty pissed if it was me.
Yeah, if they were spreading rumors that he was over weight just to keep teams from wanting to sign him that's pretty low from Tampa's end.

To be fair to Ward, they haven't had a running game really...So if they tried to make him the scapegoat then shame on them.

I generally don't agree with people airing their disputes and would rather them keep their head down and keep working though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

What he needs to do about it is compete with Foster and BUST one for a TD the first time he carries against the Giants.

Old 10-08-2010   #10
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Well all I have to say is he better put his money where his mouth is and run like he wanted to run against the giant this year!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will be an asset to this team. But, if he had been here before last season, he may not have had so much to say about the subject.

That being said, now he should show running of his legs instead of running of his mouth.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #12
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

As a Giants fan I loved the guy when he was there. He is great as a change up guy not the featured guy. That is what he was in NY and that is what he is here. Tampa signed him to be the featured guy and that he is not. So what we got vs the Raiders is the same Ward I was watching in NY.

Also keep in mind what the Bucs were saying about him when they released him. Not only were they saying he was overweight, they also said something along the lines that he was just "not a good football player". That is a pretty bad insult. The Bucs should have released him and wished him well instead of leaking that stuff to the press.

Ward is just firing back at them. Of course he waited to have a good game to do so.

I am not saying he should have fired back but that is human nature.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish this guy ran as fast as he talks. This guy is majorly s-l-o-w on the football field. That TD last week... it'll never happen again.

Play football, moron.
Old 10-08-2010   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
At least right now anyway.....*holds breath*
Old 10-08-2010   #15
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

so he bad mouths Tampa, so do we. As long as he performs well as a backup, he's OK in my book.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #16
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
so he bad mouths Tampa, so do we. As long as he performs well as a backup, he's OK in my book.
He's not bad mouthing Tampa Bay. He's totally throwing them under the bus. Unnecessary because we don't play Tampa Bay this season.

If i were that o-line, I'd spitball rolls of toilet paper all over his house. In the offseason of course.
Old 10-08-2010   #17
DownByContact
Homer

Rep Power: 0 DownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respectedDownByContact is a quality contributor and well respected

sounds like retaliation for what Tampa said about him when they released him
DownByContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jackass.
Yep

He was an overpaid failure in Tampa that got beat out by an undrafted rookie. Seems like he'd be happy to have all the money he was given up front. He has a chance to breathe life into his career here as the No. 3 back, hope he doesn't waste it.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #19
SrslySirius
Veteran

Rep Power: 1371 SrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respectedSrslySirius is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a lame double-standard in sports. We see franchises as faceless entities. When "undisclosed sources close to a team" sling mud at a player, nobody thinks anything of it. In fact, people usually just hate on the player even more. Even when owners/managers/coaches do it publicly, you rarely see a lot of backlash from it.

But when a player takes a shot at a team, even when it is completely warranted, he is seen as disgruntled or having attitude problems. People seem to think that players never have any legitimate reason to air their grievances and that they should always keep their mouths shut. But for some reason that rule doesn't apply to management and ownership.
SrslySirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I just hope he impacts the Texans like Pollard did. Can you imagine if Foster continues his ways, Ward gets about 500 yard with a 5.0 avg and Slaton settles into the role he was drafted for? Tate? Just a big old scoop of ice cream to finish off this perfect meal!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read