Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-25-2005   #1
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ruben Droughns of Bronco's available

Seems that Ruben has been given the "OK" to seek a trade. As we are in need of a "Pounder" typ back, is this someone we should be interested in to pair with DD? He ran for something like 1,200 yards last year.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #2
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I would not mind him, but I think the Broncos are still asking too much for him.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #3
bayshorebevo
Veteran

denver's rb's always run for a million yards. is it the guy or the system?
bayshorebevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this guy is just a one year wonder like Olandis Gary was...Honestly, I'd rather keep Wells or draft a guy like Eric Shelton in the 3rd...
Old 03-25-2005   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do people keep insisting that we need a RB? Why in the world would we trade for that position when we have much bigger needs every where else?
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #6
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe because none of the RB's can stay healthy for the whole season.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel the same way. The OL and DL are way bigger needs at this moment. DD is the starter so if we are going to bring someone in to compliment him or challenge him its going to be a back aquired through the draft, probably with one of our 3rd round picks. People forget this is the deepest draft in recent memory for rbs.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2005   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Najeh Davenport can be had for a 4th round pick (RFA from GB). Why not use that pick on someone that's already in the league and can make the roster?
Old 03-25-2005   #9
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I seriously doubt we can get devenport for just a 4th round pick

- Edmund Burke
Old 03-25-2005   #10
PapaL
Loose Screw

He's a RFA, thats the price for compensation.

P.King (SI.com)

2. I think, still -- and I truly don't mean to harp on Green Bay restricted free agent running back Najeh Davenport (I have written in this space that teams are crazy for not signing Davenport to an offer sheet which, if not matched by the Packers, would cost the signing team only a fourth-round pick as compensation), but a personnel man who I respect a lot pulled me aside last night and said: "I've been reading what you wrote about Najeh Davenport, and I agree. Hasn't anyone out there seen this guy play? You're telling me Arizona, with all their cap room, couldn't write an offer sheet the Packers wouldn't match. They'd have their running back of the future and it wouldn't even cost them a first-day draft choice?'' Davenport is probably out another two months after some clean-up shoulder surgery two weeks ago, but it's not anything that will prevent him from being ready for the season.
Old 03-25-2005   #11
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

The packers would defintely match any offer we would be willing to spend on that position at this time. Its not like were in dire need right now.

- Edmund Burke
Old 03-25-2005   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

I think the point of all these convos about other RB's is that there are other options out there. DD isn't terrible, but he's no Barry Sanders either. Don't get me wrong I like what hes brought, just think we could always do better. Attemtping to sign Najeh would be no different than the Pace situation we just went through, minus a few million and 3 rounds later. The contract could be made so that GB couldn't match it, signing bonus, front loaded, etc...
Old 03-25-2005   #13
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

We wouldn't be able to sign that kind of contract either. That wouldn't be wise for the cap and we've already spent more than I expected this year on payne and greenwood, plus we still have to sign our draft picks. As far as premier free agents go, I think were done this offseason. Now its off to the draft.

- Edmund Burke

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 03-25-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-25-2005   #14
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
I think the point of all these convos about other RB's is that there are other options out there. DD isn't terrible, but he's no Barry Sanders either. Don't get me wrong I like what hes brought, just think we could always do better. Attemtping to sign Najeh would be no different than the Pace situation we just went through, minus a few million and 3 rounds later. The contract could be made so that GB couldn't match it, signing bonus, front loaded, etc...

Nobody is a Barry Sanders...but I do see what you are trying to say. I just think it would take a pretty darn good running back to dethrone a healthy DD. (BTW.. ALOT of running backs have been getting hurt lately). And I was very happy with the way Wells came along as a back up last year. So I am content with what we have at this point.... and would just rather pursue other interests.
Old 03-25-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

we are a rush happy team.. and the only RB we have that can be depended on for an entire season, is Jonathen Wells. Thats not good.

DD COULD become our franchise RB.. but it depends on how good our oline gets.. and how much tougher he can get.

I do not think that any FAs available would be an upgrade over DD at this point. I think after LaMont Jordan was signed by the Raiders.. there were no more star RBs available.

However.. DD is not a 100% lock at RB, and Hollings is on his way out the door. That leaves just DD and Wells.. and we could use another RB to compete for the starting job or provide depth. So if we cant get Benson at #13, Shelton looks good to me in the 3rd if he is there.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #16
Bellthebest
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Seems that Ruben has been given the "OK" to seek a trade. As we are in need of a "Pounder" typ back, is this someone we should be interested in to pair with DD? He ran for something like 1,200 yards last year.
TAKE HIM PLEASE!!!! Alll he wants is a starting job and hes not gunna get it with tatum bell here!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2005   #17
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellthebest
TAKE HIM PLEASE!!!! Alll he wants is a starting job and hes not gunna get it with tatum bell here!!!!!!
Just not going to happen.

Question... why are you so eager to get rid of him? Is he a distraction to Bell, etc? Or do you already have a great back up? Better than our Wells?

Because... I think Droughns would only be a back up here to DD as well....and that basically puts us in the same spot as you are now with him. Just rationalizing.
Old 03-25-2005   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

How couldn't we sign him to a front loaded contract, i.e. pay more upfront and min. sal. after that, but could pull $52+M for Pace? Not saying both players are on the same level or anything, but seems like money is coming up. Someone mentioned Shelton in the 3rd round, why not Najeh in the 4th? Granted salary wouldn't be what you pay a 4th round pick, but then again Shelton in the 3rd could turn into Ron Dayne. IMO its a good risk.
Old 03-25-2005   #19
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellthebest
Ruben would only be a back-up here. He is in the same mold as Wells, but IMHO, he is a big upgrade on Wells. I like the way Ruben finishes his runs and overall runs with desire. I'm not as high on Najeh as the rest of you seem to be. I think Rubens ability and desire to break tackles makes him a better option in our offense. If we had a better Oline that would give the RB good holes to run through Najeh would probably be a better option. But that's just my opinion. Also, IMHO, we won't got after either one.
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Your probably right vtech9, we won't go after either one.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read