Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-06-2010   #1
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFLPA Union head says owners set for lockout

Quote:
GREEN BAY, Wis. -- NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith sees new signs that owners are preparing for a football-free 2011.

With support from Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, he asked fans to take the players' side.

Speaking at a tailgate-style fan luncheon a few blocks from Lambeau Field on Tuesday, Smith referred to a recent Sports Business Journal report that said the NFL is requiring banks that lend money to its teams to extend grace periods for loan defaults through the end of the 2011 season in the event of a lockout.

"That to me is a step where the owners are protecting themselves in the event that there is no season," Smith said.

Smith said that move, along with provisions in television deals that provide for some payments even if there is a lockout, are evidence that owners are planning for the possibility that there won't be a season in 2011.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello noted that the players are going through the process of approving the potential decertification of their union, a move that could be seen as preparing for protracted negotiations.

"There are many preparations taking place, including the union preparing to decertify and go out of business," Aiello said. "Our focus is on negotiating a new agreement with the union. The longer it goes, the tougher it will be and we are not sure if this union plans on continuing to be a union."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5652700

The owners better look at the fall of MLB before they choose the lockout.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #2
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29607 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFLPA Union head says owners set for lockout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5652700

The owners better look at the fall of MLB before they choose the lockout.
Amen. It took baseball YEARS to bounce back after the strike, and even then they had to use steroids to get people excited again.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #3
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

There is always the Lingerie football league!

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL is shut. It was made by those who are dead, and the dead keep it. The NFL is shut.

Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Screw the owners

Screw the players

Screw the lawyers

I'm going to hate all of them if there is a lock out next year. Every damn one of them can kiss my ass.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #6
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Screw the owners

Screw the players

Screw the lawyers

I'm going to hate all of them if there is a lock out next year. Every damn one of them can kiss my ass.
Aye. I'm pretty fed up w/ all this stuff at this point, hell part of me hopes the lockout happens and has some devastating effects for the NFL/players to maybe humble them a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG TORO View Post
There is always the Lingerie football league!
Almost forgot about that...

**** THE NFL, GO LFL!
Kulluminatii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #7
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
Aye. I'm pretty fed up w/ all this stuff at this point, hell part of me hopes the lockout happens and has some devastating effects for the NFL/players to maybe humble them a bit.

Almost forgot about that...

**** THE NFL, GO LFL!
My favorite LFL player...

Old 10-06-2010   #8
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3281 Kulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respectedKulluminatii is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a favorite, I cheer for all of the girls .
Old 10-06-2010   #9
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19932 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

I suppose that the networks will be in talks with the United Football League. I think I'll root for the Omaha Nighthawks.
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #10
Kulluminatii
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Tom View Post
I suppose that the networks will be in talks with the United Football League. I think I'll root for the Omaha Nighthawks.
I've heard rumors that NBC has approached the UFL about a potential TV contract if the NFL does have a lockout. One of their supposed requirements is that the UFL expand to at least 12 teams, instead of the 8 that they had originally planned for. I want the UFL to do well as an alternative league, but I'm not so sure if expanding that fast to 12 teams will be worth a TV contract that may only last for the duration of the lockout. But if they can get a longer contract, then it might be worth the risk. I'm cheering for the Omaha Nighthawks right now, but LA is supposedly next in line to get a team along with Portland and San Antonio.
Old 10-06-2010   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Screw the owners

Screw the players

Screw the lawyers

Yeah, there's a surprise!

BTW, where the hell is our LFL team? I thought I read last year that we were supposed to get one!
Old 10-07-2010   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sheesh, and I thought the time from the draft to preseason was long. If there's a lockout next year I don't know what I'm going to do.

I guess College Football ratings would increase.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010   #13
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one will not renew my season tickets if there is a lockout.
Old 10-09-2010   #14
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33472 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminatii View Post
I don't have a favorite, I cheer for all of the girls .
Too right. It's only fair.

I do have a special place in my heart for the centers in this league though. Tough, tough position. Most of my analysis is of how good the snaps are. Whole load of hard bending going on.
Old 11-30-2010   #15
NFLLockout
Rookie

Hey guys, on behalf of the NFLPA I wanted to let you know that there's a petition going on at NFLLockout.com right now.

Nobody wants to experience a lockout next year and this petition is going put fan's voices in one place, and be added to this letter to the owners. This is your chance to have your voice heard!
NFLLockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 55787 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLLockout View Post
Hey guys, on behalf of the NFLPA I wanted to let you know that there's a petition going on at NFLLockout.com right now.

Nobody wants to experience a lockout next year and this petition is going put fan's voices in one place, and be added to this letter to the owners. This is your chance to have your voice heard!

I wouldn't help the players anymore than I would help the owners.
Old 11-30-2010   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLLockout View Post

Where's my $50?

Scram.
Old 11-30-2010   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 138918 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the NFLPA really wants to avoid a lockout, there's always decertification.

The "average fan" sees this as Millionaires vs. Billionaires.
Old 11-30-2010   #19
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

If there is a lockout so what... It to me is a game, a form of entertainment. If they play, great, if not, it is not really that big of a deal. Go do something else.. play golf, go to the movies, hang with your kids... It would matter not 1 bit to me at all if they do not play. I have other things in my life that I would do to not let it bother me.

The day I let football or anything for that matter to me that is purely entertainment bother me or disrupt my life, is one day that I hope is the last day on earth for me..

Lock them out, let them play.... either way !
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Baby steps.

I wish they'd do a short term extension of what they've go right now. The owners and NFLPA can continue argueing about the %'s....

But let there be a 2011 season!! To come to a happy medium just come up with a rookie pay scale. The "savings" from rookies will trickle to the veterans as the will get what they want: more money.

The owners have less risk as they're paying for proven players vs unproven rookies. Do that, let football continue and then debate about what % of income should be split.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read