Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2010   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dorin Dickerson

With AJ and JJ both hobbled, I'm lookin for DD to get some major reps with the first team this week, and with that some serious playing time against the Giants.

(And for dinner tonight, I think I'm gonna cook me up a nife hot bowl of alphabet thoop)

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dorin Dickerson

I thought we we're going to see a lot of DD last week. He's clearly last on the WR depth chart at best.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Ya I'm not convinced that he will see any time at all. You would have thought he would have made an appearance last week if he was going to at all. AJ should be back, and KW and DA are still ahead of Dorin.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #4
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
With AJ and JJ both hobbled, I'm lookin for DD to get some major reps with the first team this week, and with that some serious playing time against the Giants.
Was Dorin even activated for the game against the Raiders?

I was really high on him during the pre-season. He displayed a lot of potential for the limited playing time he received. How can you not forget that one-handed grab along the sideline?

It's not often you see a former college TE run a 4.4. He sure has all the intangibles; all Dorin's got to do is work on his fundamentals, and he can certainly transform into a solid, if not elite (hopefully), receiver.
Old 10-05-2010   #5
texan9885
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 texan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVPtexan9885 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CretorFrigg View Post
Yes, I saw him play special teams.
texan9885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
He was active. He made the tackle on the Raiders kickoff return by Jacoby Ford where he nearly took it the distance. Ford had gotten by Rackers and looked as though he was going to pull away when Dickerson got just enough of his jersey to force him out of bounds.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Hard to ignore his talent when you see David Anderson getting reps...
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2010   #8
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Hard to ignore his talent when you see David Anderson getting reps...
David Anderson is a very serviceable slot receiver. You can count on him because it seems like he has glue for hands -- a lot like KW.

Dorin Dickerson, while I'm a huge fan of his, does need to develop first before we can rely on him as a WR. He did have some crucial, very catchable passes dropped during the preseason.
Old 10-05-2010   #9
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
David Anderson is a very serviceable slot receiver. You can count on him because it seems like he has glue for hands -- a lot like KW.

Dorin Dickerson, while I'm a huge fan of his, does need to develop first before we can rely on him as a WR. He did have some crucial, very catchable passes dropped during the preseason.
Dickerson's development first and foremost will be learning the offense. He wasn't in because they would've had to trim down the play selection to plays they feel comfortable running with Dickerson, which obviously now we see they don't feel comfortable running any plays with Dickerson in. David Anderson knows the offense as good as anyone on the team so the play-call selection stayed wide open.
Old 10-05-2010   #10
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Dickerson's development first and foremost will be learning the offense. He wasn't in because they would've had to trim down the play selection to plays they feel comfortable running with Dickerson, which obviously now we see they don't feel comfortable running any plays with Dickerson in. David Anderson knows the offense as good as anyone on the team so the play-call selection stayed wide open.
Do you think it is possible to have a set number of plays listed in which they feel he can create mismatches? Maybe in the RZ?

I'd like to get him in on some screen plays/running plays too, since he played TE he should help blocking down the field.

Above all I hope AJ is 100% come Sunday and heading into the bye week.
Old 10-05-2010   #11
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Was Dorin even active for the Raiders game ? I dont recall seeing him on the field at all.

After JJ went down they played the rest of the game running only 1 or 2 WR sets with Walter and Anderson getting those snaps.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I really don't think that had anything to do with it. Normally, you trim a playbook down if your QB doesn't have a full grasp of what's going on. I can't really see them doing that for a WR.

DA is next on the depth chart, and Kubiak probably just trusts him more.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #13
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I almost started a thread about Dorin this week, but I already started a couple.

I thought we would see him last week, but no DD2 (D. Davis, or eh, D. Williams was the first DD). If AJ and JJ both don't go I would think he would have to see playing time.

We can't exactly run 2 WR sets with just KW and DA all day against the Giants. If we have to run with two WR's we better get ahead early.

I guess we could run a lot of 2 TE sets with the purpose of using them as Recievers.

We have been splitting Foster out in motion as a Reciever a lot with success, but even if Dorin plays we couldn't really run a lot of heavy WR sets, and our Recievers are gonna be pretty tired by the 3rd and 4th Quarter from lack of rotation. The Giants will really be able to load up against the run, and they will be able to tee off on Shaub with out a little more speed from th Wide Outs.

Hope AJ and JJ get healthy fast. Bt don't rush AJ back and risk making his injury worse!!!!
Old 10-05-2010   #14
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Do you think it is possible to have a set number of plays listed in which they feel he can create mismatches? Maybe in the RZ?

I'd like to get him in on some screen plays/running plays too, since he played TE he should help blocking down the field.

Above all I hope AJ is 100% come Sunday and heading into the bye week.
I imagine they could have game planned a handful of plays for Dickerson had they known JJ would go down with a hammy. Just going off what we saw Sunday, they didn't install anything with Dorin on offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I really don't think that had anything to do with it. Normally, you trim a playbook down if your QB doesn't have a full grasp of what's going on. I can't really see them doing that for a WR.

DA is next on the depth chart, and Kubiak probably just trusts him more.
Yes and what is that trust founded in? His grasp of the playbook. Heck they were splitting Dreessen out as a WR3 on 3rd downs. That tells me its more than just "whose next on the depth chart" its a matter of Kubiak not feeling comfortable with Dickerson running even 1 snap of offense right now. I don't know why he's uncomfortable with that, we're all just guessing here. I'm not saying there's something wrong with Dorin either, just that as of right now he's a complete non-factor on offense and all signs point to it being his lack of grasp of the playbook.
Old 10-05-2010   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes and what is that trust founded in? His grasp of the playbook.
No, that is incorrect.

From my personal experiences trust is more about a players ability to execute and perform. Technique is a big issue with being able to go out and perform...Not making mental mistakes during a play is a big issue as well.

I've seen plenty of guys who do not have as good of a grasp of the playbook as vets above them on the depth chart end up getting more playing time because they were too talented to keep off the field.

Dickerson is raw from a technique aspect. He is most likely not as familiar with the playbook as DA and that probably has something to do with it. But I do think that Dickerson being raw as a WR has a lot to do with it as well.

Quote:
Heck they were splitting Dreessen out as a WR3 on 3rd downs. That tells me its more than just "whose next on the depth chart" its a matter of Kubiak not feeling comfortable with Dickerson running even 1 snap of offense right now.
I though Dickerson had got some snaps, but I guess I was mistaken. Nevertheless, that doesn't really say anything about his grasp of the playbook. Says more about his comfort level with Dreesen going out and doing the right thing and not getting a teammate killed.

Quote:
I don't know why he's uncomfortable with that, we're all just guessing here. I'm not saying there's something wrong with Dorin either, just that as of right now he's a complete non-factor on offense and all signs point to it being his lack of grasp of the playbook.
I disagree. I've played with players that knew the playbook better than the starters but they were end of the bench kind of guys. Not that they completely sucked, but coaches tend to go with guys who they've been through 'battle' with already. If you are in the heat of a game, it makes little sense to go with a guy who you don't really know how he's going to react vs. guys who you know exactly what you're going to get out of them.

If Jacoby and/or Dre are out for this next game, I would not be surprised to see Dickerson in on some snaps...At the same time I would not be surprised to the TE's used in those extra WR sets.

I don't think that Kubiak has shied away from putting DD in because of his lack of knowledge of the playbook. He's played plenty of young guys before and I don't think they've dialed down the play-book because of it.

I can't say for certain Dickerson has had anymore trouble learning the playbook than Duane Brown, or Brian Cushing, or Kjax, or Mario, or Demeco or Wali Lundy, or Owen Daniels or Amobi Okoye or Glover Quinn or Steve Slaton...All of these are guys that came in and played after only being with the team for about the same amount of time as Dickerson...Most a lot sooner...

I just think that he's raw, Kubiak doesn't know how he'll react so he doesn't play him because he hasn't had to.

You can know the playbook in and out, but if you go out on the field and get Pwned, then it doesn't matter. Kubiak doesn't know if he will get Pwned or not. He knows that DA and Dreesen will not. No need to test that in a game when you're winning and trying to protect a lead.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Was Dorin even active for the Raiders game ? I dont recall seeing him on the field at all.

After JJ went down they played the rest of the game running only 1 or 2 WR sets with Walter and Anderson getting those snaps.
Now that must strike fear in defenses around the league. Don't get me wrong, both are nice players, but OUCH!!
Old 10-05-2010   #17
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 33629 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that people need to remember is that WR is one of the most difficult positions to learn. No matter how talented physically DD is, until the staff and Schaub feel comfortable with him, he will not see time in the regular offense.
Old 10-05-2010   #18
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
No, that is incorrect.

From my personal experiences trust is more about a players ability to execute and perform. Technique is a big issue with being able to go out and perform...Not making mental mistakes during a play is a big issue as well.

I've seen plenty of guys who do not have as good of a grasp of the playbook as vets above them on the depth chart end up getting more playing time because they were too talented to keep off the field.

Dickerson is raw from a technique aspect. He is most likely not as familiar with the playbook as DA and that probably has something to do with it. But I do think that Dickerson being raw as a WR has a lot to do with it as well.

I though Dickerson had got some snaps, but I guess I was mistaken. Nevertheless, that doesn't really say anything about his grasp of the playbook. Says more about his comfort level with Dreesen going out and doing the right thing and not getting a teammate killed.

I disagree. I've played with players that knew the playbook better than the starters but they were end of the bench kind of guys. Not that they completely sucked, but coaches tend to go with guys who they've been through 'battle' with already. If you are in the heat of a game, it makes little sense to go with a guy who you don't really know how he's going to react vs. guys who you know exactly what you're going to get out of them.

If Jacoby and/or Dre are out for this next game, I would not be surprised to see Dickerson in on some snaps...At the same time I would not be surprised to the TE's used in those extra WR sets.

I don't think that Kubiak has shied away from putting DD in because of his lack of knowledge of the playbook. He's played plenty of young guys before and I don't think they've dialed down the play-book because of it.

I can't say for certain Dickerson has had anymore trouble learning the playbook than Duane Brown, or Brian Cushing, or Kjax, or Mario, or Demeco or Wali Lundy, or Owen Daniels or Amobi Okoye or Glover Quinn or Steve Slaton...All of these are guys that came in and played after only being with the team for about the same amount of time as Dickerson...Most a lot sooner...

I just think that he's raw, Kubiak doesn't know how he'll react so he doesn't play him because he hasn't had to.

You can know the playbook in and out, but if you go out on the field and get Pwned, then it doesn't matter. Kubiak doesn't know if he will get Pwned or not. He knows that DA and Dreesen will not. No need to test that in a game when you're winning and trying to protect a lead.
I don't know how you got so off track there, my argument is players who aren't a part of the game-plan installation process during the week don't play on Sunday. Dickerson didn't take a single offensive snap on Sunday which tells me they didn't install anything for him.

Now where we can differ in opinion is on why they weren't installing anything for him last week. We can all have our guesses and we'll never know for sure but I think they're not happy with his grasp of the playbook yet and I'm not slighting Dickerson and I'm not slighting the coaches either. He's converting from being a college tight end to a receiver in one of the most complex offenses in the NFL, I don't blame him.

Could it be technique stuff too? Definitely, getting off press, reading NFL defenses presnap, all of that goes into it. The worst part for him is not only does he have to do those things well but he has 4 guys above him on the depth chart who are WAY ahead of him in developing as Houston Texans WRs.
Old 10-05-2010   #19
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

We didn't see a lot of Dickerson because we were running so many 2 TE sets and running the ball because it worked so well.
Old 10-05-2010   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

DA has good hands, but lacks speed, agility, ability to gain separation. He isn't strong, and is short. Doesn't offer much, truth be told.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read