Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Video of some new/effective Texan blitzes

Zone Blitz with Mario dropping in coverage

CB Blitz, Featuring Glover Quin
Old 10-05-2010   #2
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the video. I'm one of Bush's critics when it comes to ineffective blitzes, so I was happily surprised to see these blitzes introduced to the defense.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Video of some new/effective Texan blitzes

Forcing an intentional grounding = just as good as a sack...Down and distance. Shame for Glover it won't show up in the stat column.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That's ridiculous..... our first coverage sack of the year was because our best pass rusher was dropped into Zone coverage.

Old 10-05-2010   #5
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
That's ridiculous..... our first coverage sack of the year was because our best pass rusher was dropped into Zone coverage.

You should watch more Pittsburgh games you see this all day from them, you never know where the blitz is coming from, they mix it up and keep you guessing. I've been complaining for 2 years now about our generic blitz packages, finally we are mixing it up somewhat.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
You should watch more Pittsburgh games you see this all day from them, you never know where the blitz is coming from, they mix it up and keep you guessing. I've been complaining for 2 years now about our generic blitz packages, finally we are mixing it up somewhat.
You misunderstand.

I don't have a problem with Mario dropping back into coverage. I don't have a problem with changing it up on blitzes.

My problem is that everyone complains about our front four not getting pressure on the QB, when that is just not true. We've been get as much pressure as any four in the league can under 3 seconds.

I've been screaming at our LBs for years, for not being able to take away the underneath, easy throws from the QB.

& when we finally get a coverage sack, it's Mario Williams (our best pass rusher) showing them how to do it.
Old 10-05-2010   #7
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Anything to keep the QB guessing..

I guess you can't just alternate sending a extra Lbacker and keep them off guard?

Drat, I always thought that was the way to keep Manning confused?
Old 10-05-2010   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 286663 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
You misunderstand.

I don't have a problem with Mario dropping back into coverage. I don't have a problem with changing it up on blitzes.

My problem is that everyone complains about our front four not getting pressure on the QB, when that is just not true. We've been get as much pressure as any four in the league can under 3 seconds.

I've been screaming at our LBs for years, for not being able to take away the underneath, easy throws from the QB.

& when we finally get a coverage sack, it's Mario Williams (our best pass rusher) showing them how to do it.
Thank you! TEs have been tormenting us for years. The only games that TEs don't tear us up is when the secondary is giving up bigger gains to WRs.
Old 10-05-2010   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

In the second shot of Quin blitzing, that was some major holding not called for Jesse Nading. That and another holding on Mario helped Oakland get that last TD.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #10
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
You misunderstand.

Yes, we haven't been getting pressure up front cause we haven't been stunting a lot and running exotic packages. We relied on one on one matchups and basic blitz packages, nothing really exotic.

We just really can't line up our best four against their 5 and create pressure, so we got to blitz and blitz effectively..
Old 10-05-2010   #11
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Thank you! TEs have been tormenting us for years. The only games that TEs don't tear us up is when the secondary is giving up bigger gains to WRs.
Well.. it's also cause our run support hasn't been the best, and LB's first responsibility is always the run, pass second.. When your DT gets parked 4 yards down the field it creates problems, which normally as a linebacker you are stepping up first, then dropping back second. If this is the norm for you then a good TE already has you beat, and let's not confuse the issue more Dallas Clark not only beats the piss out of LB's he'll do it to safety and corners too..

Zach Miller isn't really a chump either, he's had what 50+ catches at a TE the last two years on a crappy team, and well Chris Cooley I don't think we need to go over.
Old 10-05-2010   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Yes, we haven't been getting pressure up front cause we haven't been stunting a lot and running exotic packages. We relied on one on one matchups and basic blitz packages, nothing really exotic.

We just really can't line up our best four against their 5 and create pressure, so we got to blitz and blitz effectively..
I believe our front four does a good job getting pressure on the QB. We were in the top 4 or something last year in QB hurries & pressures last year, but much lower in actual sacks in 2009. I believe it's because we needed that extra hundreth of a second, & our coverage (mainly the LBs) makes it too easy to complete passes.
Old 10-05-2010   #13
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
I believe our front four does a good job getting pressure on the QB. We were in the top 4 or something last year in QB hurries & pressures last year, but much lower in actual sacks in 2009. I believe it's because we needed that extra hundreth of a second, & our coverage (mainly the LBs) makes it too easy to complete passes.
I disagree, and hence the reason we have continued to look through the draft/FA for help in this area makes me believe that we aren't doing a good job in both run defense and collapsing the pocket.
Old 10-05-2010   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We've been mixing it up for the past couple of years.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #15
Texan_Touchdown
Rookie

Rep Power: 266 Texan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Touchdown is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree, and hence the reason we have continued to look through the draft/FA for help in this area makes me believe that we aren't doing a good job in both run defense and collapsing the pocket.
no it's to get depth in the DL position. DL linemen switch in out a lot. give each other rest. Our pass rush is good late in games. And I think it's because of our depth at DL.

The problem with our pass secondary is because of the LB''s covering the TE's. Our CB's aren't doing a bad job. McCain and Jackson got burned on some plays, but that's rookie mistakes. Repetition will make him faster on reaction. And is starting to show good breaks on pass's.

these passed for games, diles was on the TE, and adibi was weak side helping with the run. Diles isn't a good coverage LB because Cushing usually has the strong side with TE, while Diles is weak side with the run where he's more affective. And Cushing is a great pass rusher.

I think with Cushing coming back ( and back to NFL speed, and form) our Defense will be improved greatly with the pass D.
Texan_Touchdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 349460 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post
no it's to get depth in the DL position. DL linemen switch in out a lot. give each other rest. Our pass rush is good late in games. And I think it's because of our depth at DL.

The problem with our pass secondary is because of the LB''s covering the TE's. Our CB's aren't doing a bad job. McCain and Jackson got burned on some plays, but that's rookie mistakes. Repetition will make him faster on reaction. And is starting to show good breaks on pass's.

these passed for games, diles was on the TE, and adibi was weak side helping with the run. Diles isn't a good coverage LB because Cushing usually has the strong side with TE, while Diles is weak side with the run where he's more affective. And Cushing is a great pass rusher.

I think with Cushing coming back ( and back to NFL speed, and form) our Defense will be improved greatly with the pass D.
AND when we play zone, Cushing is more athletic and covers more ground and shuts more things down than Diles does.
Old 10-06-2010   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
AND when we play zone, Cushing is more athletic and covers more ground and shuts more things down than Diles does.
I think it's also that he's smarter, understands routes & passing lanes.
Old 10-06-2010   #18
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like dropping Mario, since teams roll protection to his side like crazy, let that be wasted.
Old 10-06-2010   #19
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Touchdown View Post

Let's face it, we have faced some of the best TE's in the game the first 4 games.. Witten, Cooley, Clark, and Zach Miller being the last. We maybe overreacting a bit yet on the ability of our LB's to cover..
Old 10-06-2010   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Let's face it, we have faced some of the best TE's in the game the first 4 games.. Witten, Cooley, Clark, and Zach Miller being the last. We maybe overreacting a bit yet on the ability of our LB's to cover..
That's definitely a point.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read