Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2010   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A new Era in Houston Football?

Everyone has had complaints about the state of Houston football, legitimately so, for the last 8 years. Kubiak hasn't always managed the clock well and I haven't always agreed with his use of the red flag. I've questioned play calls, but... it has been frustrating, if not educational to watch this team grow. The Capers era was miserable for the most part... and there was NOTHING fun about anything after the Cleveland game in that regime... but with regards to Kubiak, the truth is he's turned the roster over nicely and we'll go into next season, barring injury, looking for help in the back four on defense. That is our real hole right now, and we're young so there's no telling how it changes through the year. After we address CB (either through improvement over the year or draft or F/A) and FS (unless nolan turns out to be the answer) we're to the stage that the Pats/Colts/Steelers have been for about the last decade where we are adding pieces and growing talent so when one player leaves we've been grooming his replacement for a year or two. We are almost to the point, and we've never been there before, that we EXPECT our first rounders to NOT start... just contribute while the learn the system.

I really don't know about this season. Is the secondary a prohibitive problem? Will it prevent us from division or wild card level success? I lean towards no, but I can see the wheels falling off, but we knew that. We knew that was a possibility when we saw that we don't have a CB on the roster that qualifies for the age related discount on auto insurance. We did address it with a first rounder.. and he's certainly taking his lumps. Maybe Cushing fixes all of our problems, I doubt it... but he'll fix a lot of them.

Look at the rest of the roster though. We'll be able to fix the secondary in one off season, I hope... but to this point we've patched just about every other hole.

I can see the argument for a DT. But what's our other weakness? The pass rush? I think it looks better and better, and we'll see.. but I think Cushing fixes a lot of that for us.

You can pick the most talented teams in Houston football history... and Mr. Kubiak has this one climbing up that list. The love ya blue era? Or was it the game we will not mention? In 40 years of football in this great city... how many more talented teams can you name?

When you realize that this is the free agency era, Kubiak and Smith have done something special in my opinion.

Mike

*disclaimer* I know we haven't won anything yet. I'm just looking from top to bottom, the talent on the roster.

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #2
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A new Era in Houston Football?

I think we are still going to face a lot of growing pains this year, especially if Nolan is going to see the majority of snaps at FS. Hopefully the young secondary will grow up quickly and form a great group back there.

One of the big issues with our coverage was our linebackers being unable to cover the short routes. This was a huge problem against Oakland and resulted in most of Oakland's yards. The Cush should help out on that front a lot.

The future looks bright right now, the main thing is that we just need to mature and learn how to execute from opening kick-off until the final whistle.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2051 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

I'm happy the team is 3-1 right now, and the run game has been like a refreshing drink of cool water on a hot summer day; but there are several things about our team that still concern me. After watching the Oakland game I'm feeling like we got lucky more than we won that one. Our defense is pretty well crap. We still have some o-line issues as well.

While I will agree that there have ben a lot of improvements, in many ways this team still looks too much like they always have, and Kubiak still manages a game mostly the way he always has.

With all that in mind I am happy about our record and I am expecting more from this team, but I think I will do what DexmanC says and wait till after 12 games played to get all giddy about this team having started a new era.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #4
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

New era or not, I'll enjoy the 3-1 score while I can

As stated in some other thread last week, my major concern with this team is wether our players, on D especially, can keep up their 'mental steam'. Every game makes them better, hell every win even moreso, if we can win games despite being out of steam, perhaps we'll be able to go all the way.

3-1... The way I see it, we'll have to lose TWO in a row just to be back to 50/50, and for a team that's been 50/50 for years now, I'm happy
Old 10-05-2010   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are for real, and so is the 3-1 record. But, something that is VERY concerning is we've scored 108 points and given up 102 points. That's a 6 point margin for those three victories. This year we seem to take the games, in years past we've given them up and that's different.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #6
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNTLEWOLF View Post
I'm happy the team is 3-1 right now, and the run game has been like a refreshing drink of cool water on a hot summer day; but there are several things about our team that still concern me. After watching the Oakland game I'm feeling like we got lucky more than we won that one. Our defense is pretty well crap. We still have some o-line issues as well.

While I will agree that there have ben a lot of improvements, in many ways this team still looks too much like they always have, and Kubiak still manages a game mostly the way he always has.

With all that in mind I am happy about our record and I am expecting more from this team, but I think I will do what DexmanC says and wait till after 12 games played to get all giddy about this team having started a new era.
I don't understand how we were lucky against Oakland. It was 31-14 in the fourth quarter. The Texans ran away and hid and Oakland tried to catch up.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
The Texans are for real, and so is the 3-1 record. But, something that is VERY concerning is we've scored 108 points and given up 102 points. That's a 6 point margin for those three victories. This year we seem to take the games, in years past we've given them up and that's different.
Our defense is about to improve.

I'm not worried about the point margin. I mean, we've been on the plus side 3 out of 4 times. It's just that when we were on the minus side, we were down by a couple of touchdowns.

And like I said, our defense is about to improve.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-05-2010   #8
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not saying this team is perfect. And we don't always execute perfectly. I'm just saying that top to bottom we have assembled a roster with more talent than I've seen in a while. We have deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball, honestly I think we're missing a legitimate #1 corner and we need help at FS. That is two holes on this team. After that I think you start talking about places you could improve... but you're not looking at this team going "man they have 7 or 8 positions that they barely have backups manning positions". DT would be the next upgrade.

After that... what isn't a legitimate piece here? You might be looking at interior line play on the offense.. maybe... but even they have been significantly better.

There is a TON of talent on this team and what few holes we have can be filled in one off season.

I'm by no means ready to declare us SB champs.... or even contenders this year... but just saying that we are to the point that we've wanted to be for quite some time. It has taken a while but this team has been fun to grow with. They're not done, for sure... but its nice to no longer be the doormat.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #9
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5502 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully this offseason we can acquire a veteran in the secondary. Most namely Mr. Champ Bailey (although I highly doubt we spend the money because frankly, we never do in FA)

but other notable FA names : Johnathan Joseph, Eric Wright, Carlos Rogers, Richard Marshall, Antoine Bethea, Quintin Mikell, Tanard Jackson
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #10
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 32275 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Hopefully this offseason we can acquire a veteran in the secondary. Most namely Mr. Champ Bailey (although I highly doubt we spend the money because frankly, we never do in FA)

but other notable FA names : Johnathan Joseph, Eric Wright, Carlos Rogers, Richard Marshall, Antoine Bethea, Quintin Mikell, Tanard Jackson
Out of all the names mentioned, I would rather have Joseph out of them all. Yes, even over Bailey.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read