Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2010   #1
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand
Default Ward looked pretty good?

Shocked that noone started this thread, but looks like we have a good backup/fill in RB in Ward! Anyone know what went down in TB with him and why he was released/cut?
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ward looked pretty good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Shocked that noone started this thread, but looks like we have a good backup/fill in RB in Ward! Anyone know what went down in TB with him and why he was released/cut?
When he scored that TD I was hoping that he wouldn't get caught from behind and stripped...

But he DID look good though.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, I was pretty happy about that as well. Slaton even had a few nice runs finally. The entire running game looked great yesterday. We finally have a running game on the Texans.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #4
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He got caught up in a numbers game in TB. He had a starter before him and some young kid with fast wheels behind him.

They deemed him expendable and we got a backup tailback out of it.
Old 10-04-2010   #5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1312 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

i'll give him credit, but i really think his success had more to do with his blocking. the guy is slow as molasses.

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
i'll give him credit, but i really think his success had more to do with his blocking. the guy is slow as molasses.
If I'm not mistaken I think he broke a tackle and made a guy miss on his TD run...

Or maybe he just did one or the other, Can't remember...

But I do know he was contested shortly after he burst through the line...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #7
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 281 View Post
either that or #33 from the raiders seems pretty damn fast, it's not like the raiders hire football players, they hire track stars..
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2010   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Tampa was fairly disappointed in his production, so they released him. They thought they had signed the 1,000 rusher that he was in New York...
Old 10-04-2010   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

He was part of earth wind fire in NYG. He was expected to be the #1 guy in TB, and failed.

He's again part of a trio in houston
Old 10-04-2010   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah, I was pretty happy about that as well. Slaton even had a few nice runs finally. The entire running game looked great yesterday. We finally have a running game on the Texans.
I would bridle the optimism, or at least I am anyway, given how terrible Oakland's run D is.
Old 10-04-2010   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I want to see more work from him but the way it looks now, Foster is the main guy, Ward is the guy that spells him in a normal situation, and Slaton is a guy we bring in situationally to take advantage of specific match-ups and tendencies.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I would bridle the optimism, or at least I am anyway, given how terrible Oakland's run D is.
OTOH so was Tampa last year. I have a feeling the real Derrick Ward is somewhere in the middle.
Old 10-04-2010   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I have to see more of Ward before I pass any jugement on him. But, if he does work out things aught to be very interesting when Tate returns.
Old 10-04-2010   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Yeah, but we're heading out of week 4 now with 2 great running performances already this season and a guy who is a stud #1 RB, and our back ups played very well yesterday. I couldn't be happier with the running game currently, and it's such a huge step from the direction that Kubiak's had the running game in for the majority of the time that he's been here. He finally has it going very nicely this season, and it's great to finally have confidence in that part of our offense.
Old 10-04-2010   #15
HardKnockTexan
All Pro

Rep Power: 28 HardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performerHardKnockTexan is a Legendary performer

I thought he showed excellent patience. That sweep to the right took a long time to develop and he just slowly slid along the back of the line and Vonta until the very last second; then he turned the corner and got a solid gain.
Old 10-04-2010   #16
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
either that or #33 from the raiders seems pretty damn fast, it's not like the raiders hire football players, they hire track stars..
that would be tyvon branch who is pretty fast. he returns kicks and ran a 4.31 at the combine in 2008
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

He looks like exactly what I thought he would be. He was the #2 back on that 2007 Giants SB team, and he was their most effective RB the following year on a team that ran the ball very well. It was not a good situation for him in TB where they were trying to develop young talent and get Cadillac back acclimated to playing football again. I thought this was a great pickup when we made it and it looks like its starting to pay dividends.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #18
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, but we're heading out of week 4 now with 2 great running performances already this season and a guy who is a stud #1 RB, and our back ups played very well yesterday. I couldn't be happier with the running game currently, and it's such a huge step from the direction that Kubiak's had the running game in for the majority of the time that he's been here. He finally has it going very nicely this season, and it's great to finally have confidence in that part of our offense.
I think the running game in the past was more a product of the lack of talent Kubiak was left with along the OL and at RB .... They have built that line and RB group on his watch.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #19
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I think the running game in the past was more a product of the lack of talent Kubiak was left with along the OL and at RB .... They have built that line and RB group on his watch.
Kubes made some terrible decisions early on by thinking Lundi could handle the job along with Morency and then he had faith in Green of all people and then Brown. He's been pretty bad with RB's and that history doesn't just erase itself. He sort of got lucky with Slaton somehow having that huge season and then stinking it up. He also kept Foster out of the mix last year as and could have had him playing. I'm just glad that we've got a work horse now and that the running game is finally consistent and effective. This is the running game that people expected Kubes to bring in when he came here. It wasn't supposed to take him until his 5th season to make that happen though. I'm just glad that's it here now.
Old 10-04-2010   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 341333 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubes made some terrible decisions early on by thinking Lundi could handle the job along with Morency and then he had faith in Green of all people and then Brown. He's been pretty bad with RB's and that history doesn't just erase itself. He sort of got lucky with Slaton somehow having that huge season and then stinking it up. He also kept Foster out of the mix last year as and could have had him playing. I'm just glad that we've got a work horse now and that the running game is finally consistent and effective. This is the running game that people expected Kubes to bring in when he came here. It wasn't supposed to take him until his 5th season to make that happen though. I'm just glad that's it here now.
The history's a little wrong there, I think. I'm not arguing that mistakes weren't made but...

Kubiak never had any faith in Morency and Morency never played a down for Kubiak. Kubiak traded Morency in the preseason for Samkon Gado, a guy who has ended up being in the league a lot longer than Morency. That first season, we ended up relying on Dayne.

And Kubiak never expected to have to rely on Brown as more than a backup for Slaton. But he ended up putting Brown in the line up a lot more than he wanted to because Brown was the one running back we had that we could trust to pick up the blitz.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read