Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2010   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Postgame thoughts after DVR review of Oakland game

I got in trouble with Barrett when I declared the game over at 31-14 only to see things get a little hairy in the fourth quarter. Overall, though, I was happy with the performance and I think the Texans showed their versatility and mental toughness. Here are some thoughts:

1. Rashod Butler is a highly servicable backup tackle. He doesn’t excel at anything. However, he also is never beat badly. Schaub never has to worry about getting hit from the blind side before his internal clock alerts him with Butler at LT. After about 3 seconds then he can pretty much expect Butler’s man to be slowly collapsing the pocket but probably still engaged with Rashad. Can’t ask for more than that from a backup! Also, Butler had a couple key back side cut blocks on some of the big zone runs, particularly on the 74 yard TD. On that play, both he and Wade Smith, cut the entire back side of the D-Line, allowing Foster and Leach a lot of room to operate in.

2. Great guard play yesterday! Wade Smith was excellent and Caldwell/Brisiel combined to have an absolutely dominate performance at RG.

3. Amobi Okoye’s ankle is healthy. CONTINUE READING
Old 10-04-2010   #2
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Postgame thoughts after DVR review of Oakland game

Pollard needs to stop hitting QBs so danged hard!
Old 10-04-2010   #3
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Great analysis, as usual dalemurphy.

I liked how we came out throwing (didn't know at the time Foster had been benched). It seems like it takes Schaub some time to find a rhythm and when they start out with runnign the ball a lot at first he doesn't get that chance.

I also liked some of the offensive plays I saw. I heard they had to use some different plays because of missing some key players but I think they should do that more often.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #4
Houston_Fanatic
Veteran

Rep Power: 1007 Houston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedHouston_Fanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Pollard needs to stop hitting QBs so danged hard!
I disagree. I want opposing QB's to be worried about Pollard back there and get into their heads.
Houston_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #5
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you're understating Antonio's performance. Wow. I must've rewatched his first sack of the game 10 times. He beats Loper off the line before Loper can even lift up his head. Literally, Antonio was tackling Gradkowski as Loper finally raised his head. That's called 5yr/$35 million dollar $12.5 million guaranteed burst off the line.

Also for as bad as Diles was, particularly vs. the tight end, he made a key play coming free on a blitz in the 2nd half. I remember it being a crucial forced incompletion.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I got in trouble with Barrett when I declared the game over at 31-14 only to see things get a little hairy in the fourth quarter. Overall, though, I was happy with the performance and I think the Texans showed their versatility and mental toughness. Here are some thoughts:

1. Rashod Butler is a highly servicable backup tackle. He doesn’t excel at anything. However, he also is never beat badly. Schaub never has to worry about getting hit from the blind side before his internal clock alerts him with Butler at LT. After about 3 seconds then he can pretty much expect Butler’s man to be slowly collapsing the pocket but probably still engaged with Rashad. Can’t ask for more than that from a backup! Also, Butler had a couple key back side cut blocks on some of the big zone runs, particularly on the 74 yard TD. On that play, both he and Wade Smith, cut the entire back side of the D-Line, allowing Foster and Leach a lot of room to operate in.

2. Great guard play yesterday! Wade Smith was excellent and Caldwell/Brisiel combined to have an absolutely dominate performance at RG.

3. Amobi Okoye’s ankle is healthy. CONTINUE READING
I enjoyed reading that. I added your blog to my favorites.
Old 10-04-2010   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Was Ogunleye on the opposite sides when Mario and Smith lined up on the same side?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2010   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Fanatic View Post
I disagree. I want opposing QB's to be worried about Pollard back there and get into their heads.
Especially ones that like to take off and run it...hint hint!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #9
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52681 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Was Ogunleye on the opposite sides when Mario and Smith lined up on the same side?
Yes, both times Ogunleye was on the opposite side.
Old 10-04-2010   #10
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
I think you're understating Antonio's performance. Wow. I must've rewatched his first sack of the game 10 times. He beats Loper off the line before Loper can even lift up his head. Literally, Antonio was tackling Gradkowski as Loper finally raised his head. That's called 5yr/$35 million dollar $12.5 million guaranteed burst off the line.

Also for as bad as Diles was, particularly vs. the tight end, he made a key play coming free on a blitz in the 2nd half. I remember it being a crucial forced incompletion.
In my opinion Antonio Smith is the most consistent player on the DL right now.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #11
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

MW has been pretty money to date..
Old 10-04-2010   #12
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 20837 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
MW has been pretty money to date..
Not going to get into this, but sorry Mario needs to learn how to bring his A game every game then I'll be glad to give him his props.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice analysis and observations as usual.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #14
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Not going to get into this, but sorry Mario needs to learn how to bring his A game every game then I'll be glad to give him his props.
This Season he seems to be bringing it every game so far...Sack per game (intentional grounding by Romo avoiding his in that game)
Old 10-04-2010   #15
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
This Season he seems to be bringing it every game so far...Sack per game (intentional grounding by Romo avoiding his in that game)
I'm not attempting to discount Mario. That being said, A. Smith's energy is consistently higher and his ability and willingness to move around the entire d-line, allows Frank Bush to scheme pressure. Many of Mario's sacks this season are largely due to Antonio Smith's pressure when he lines up at DT.
Old 10-04-2010   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not attempting to discount Mario. That being said, A. Smith's energy is consistently higher and his ability and willingness to move around the entire d-line, allows Frank Bush to scheme pressure. Many of Mario's sacks this season are largely due to Antonio Smith's pressure when he lines up at DT.
I think effort is very difficult for fans to judge. Smith looks peripatetic out there but that doesn't necessarily translate to a higher effort. He isn't as naturally gifted as Mario and uses a more hurried style to achieve what he does. Definitely agree Smith's performance helps Mario (and vice versa).
Old 10-04-2010   #17
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think effort is very difficult for fans to judge. Smith looks peripatetic out there but that doesn't necessarily translate to a higher effort. He isn't as naturally gifted as Mario and uses a more hurried style to achieve what he does. Definitely agree Smith's performance helps Mario (and vice versa).
This is definitely the case. Get two people to perform an activity. The guy
with high talent will be more productive, while looking like he's not trying at all.
Old 10-04-2010   #18
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
This is definitely the case. Get two people to perform an activity. The guy
with high talent will be more productive, while looking like he's not trying at all.
I understand the point but do not entirely agree with it. I'm not comparing Mario's good plays with Smith's good plays. I'm referencing the plays where Mario is content to hand slap a TE or tackle while Smith is constantly working for an advantage on almost every play. That is what I'm referring to when I say "consistent energy". I'm not trying to bash Mario, though. Genuinely, it is an attempt to accomodate A.Smith.
Old 10-04-2010   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not comparing Mario's good plays with Smith's good plays. I'm referencing the plays where Mario is content to hand slap a TE or tackle while Smith is constantly working for an advantage on almost every play.
When Mario sees that he's not going to get to the QB he tends to start playing the scramble or trying to get into position to jump up and possibly tip a ball.

I am almost positive that if the coaches told Mario to relentlessly go after the QB on every play he would play a bit differently.

But Mario is better against the run and he recognizes screens better than Smith.

If you look at the long screen pass that McFadden had early in the game (may have been their first drive) Mario feels McFadden release and he almost gets there to stop the play.

Basically, I think that Mario is a little more cerebral while Smith is a go, go, go guy.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #20
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
When Mario sees that he's not going to get to the QB he tends to start playing the scramble or trying to get into position to jump up and possibly tip a ball.

I am almost positive that if the coaches told Mario to relentlessly go after the QB on every play he would play a bit differently.

But Mario is better against the run and he recognizes screens better than Smith.

If you look at the long screen pass that McFadden had early in the game (may have been their first drive) Mario feels McFadden release and he almost gets there to stop the play.

Basically, I think that Mario is a little more cerebral while Smith is a go, go, go guy.

I agree with basically all you are saying, but I think I am being misunderstood a little bit. I'm not suggesting that Smith is a better pass rusher. I am suggesting that through the first month, the combination of Smith's versatility (moving him all over the line) and his relentlessness has been the biggest key to the improvement of the pass defense.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read