Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-24-2005   #1
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2802 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans IN LOVE with Willamson

The texans have begun to show there hand as usual. John mclain says that the texans are in love with the speed of this guys and think he can be the guy to take this offense to another level. I for one agree completely, when you double team andre you have to have someone that can beat the defense deep, and thats exactly what this guys is great at.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #2
Mr Shush
Veteran

Matt Jones is fast, huge and won't need a round one pick, and I'm not even really sure I'd want us to draft him. I really hope you and Mr. McClain (who is this guy - sorry, I'm British) are wrong.
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #3
cadahnic
All Pro

Shush i like your statement. I do not like Troy Williamson and I hope we do not spend 13 money on him. I do like jerome mathis, vin. jackson, and reggie brown. Ohh forgot mark bradley and terrance murphy. Anyway they all have speed and brown could be our pick since he is fast and 6'4". Hopefully in the first we trade up if DJ is available only to 8 or 9 though. If not I like us staying right where we are and grabbing Carlos Rogers (a bigger D-Rob)
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

There is NO WAY we get DJ in the draft. Troy Williamson is a FINE pick and will solve our WR problems. Then we draft in the trenches. Not a bad route for our future in my opinion.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #5
cadahnic
All Pro

Tailgate, Williamson will not solve our WR problems. If you want to know what he is going to look like in the pro level as a rook look at Reggie willams with the Jags. Williamson is that type of player a poor route runner with speed and not very good hands in the clutch. I understand he is a burner, but there are 4 to 5 burners in this draft who will go lower. and 2 of them have better hands. If we are smart we grab Jerome Mathis who can get rid of JJ Moses and stretch the field when we go 3 out.
Old 03-24-2005   #6
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadahnic
Tailgate, Williamson will not solve our WR problems. If you want to know what he is going to look like in the pro level as a rook look at Reggie willams with the Jags. Williamson is that type of player a poor route runner with speed and not very good hands in the clutch. I understand he is a burner, but there are 4 to 5 burners in this draft who will go lower. and 2 of them have better hands. If we are smart we grab Jerome Mathis who can get rid of JJ Moses and stretch the field when we go 3 out.

If there are so many burners and some with better hands.... then why are they not projected to go as high?
Old 03-24-2005   #7
cadahnic
All Pro

come on man the same reason why TD did not go very high, Why TO did not go high, Ray Lewis did not go high. See scouting is what you call a guessing game. Why did Reggie Williams go so high and 3rd rounder Earnest Wilford outplay him all year. Hype is a wonderful thing. And dont get me wrong the kid is talented, but production and Texan money would be better spent on a WR in the 3rd or trade back into the second. Reggie Brown is my pick for Anquan Boldin of the year. There is always one.
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2005   #8
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Your exactly right. Thus you put trust into your FO and scouting team. What if we DID pass Troy up and he did become the next Marvin Harrison, etc.. I will go with trust of our FO over some message board talk. Thats the difference for me anyway.
Old 03-24-2005   #9
Texans32
Rookie

we could draft Parish out of miami in the 2nd or 3rd round as well, he is also a fast, sure handed reciever who could help the O, then spend our 1st pick on someone for D-fense
Texans32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #10
The Preacher
Veteran

True dat what about Tony Brown from Tennessee I've seen him play a bunch. With two freshman qb's last year and a hoard of receivers he led the team in catches over Meachem. A quiet producer, decent size and speed, good hands I think he'll be a great value possibly late second day pick. I don't know about Anquan Boldin but I hope he makes it somewhere. I guess that would make him a Derrick Mason pick. Only local teams like Titans checked him out kind of like Troy Fleming last year.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #11
cadahnic
All Pro

I have seen tape of Brown and he is decent. He is just a a little slow. He can catch though. I see him as Jabar Gaffney type of player. A solid slot receiver with sure hands, but those are not the fancy picks this year ya know. I think we waste our 13th pick if we do not go defense. We have to know that if we want to win we have to play some D. Our offense is actually better than alot of people think and we are a couple of players away from being tops in the league. Everyone keeps talking about AJ needs something to help him out. AJ is 6'2" 230 which means he does not need any help to get open. Look at TO who had no #2 receiver yet he could not be stopped. That is AJ by the way. GO DEFENSE GO DEFENSE
Old 03-24-2005   #12
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

If our first string Defense stays healthy... I see no reason why we wont improve quite a bit from last year. With Robaire, Walker, and Payne on the DL... (if they stay healthy mind you)... who are you wanting to draft to bring that immediate impact,etc??
Old 03-24-2005   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Reggie Williams is not a good comparison. Williams was not known as a burner, particularly not after turning in a 4.62 40 yd.--his claim to fame was more as a big physical WR.

Link

A better comparison is Javon Walker.

Link
Old 03-24-2005   #14
The Preacher
Veteran

Anybody know our average time of possesion last year it could be hard to gauge our offense b/c it seemed we struggled stopping teams on 3rd down at times and the d was on the field constantly. Toughen up the D with one year's improvement on o-line and all of a sudden offensive stats could go way up w/o any major additions.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 357040 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Preacher
Anybody know our average time of possesion last year
29:59 on the year.
Old 03-24-2005   #16
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Removed deleted quote

Walker is 2 years removed from a Pro Bowl. Don't give up on him just yet. Our D was vastly improving last year the farther and farther away Payne was removed from surgery. Besides... you did not mention drafting a DL with our first pick...so no sense in me going there in depth.

Yes, depth in the secondary would be nice....but can be addressed in later rounds no matter who we get in the first. I also feel this can be done with a LB as well.

Now... do you really think by us drafting Barron and starting him at LT this year would actually be a good thing...and have immediate impact? He might turn out to be a servicable LT in a couple years...but he wont just come in and be good enough to warrent Wand moving to G.

So we can afford to draft WR with first, then address the trenches and a back up CB with the rest of our picks, etc.
Old 03-24-2005   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

What do we know that is impressive about this guy except that he has
a lot of speed: he turned in some fast times (sub 4.4 I think) at the combine
and his sprint times at the scholastic level are sell documented. But speed in and of itself is meaningless for a football player if one doesn't have skills for his position.
ON TV I saw Mike Williams play at USC year before last and just saw Edwards on the tube in the Rose Bowl - they were both very impressive.
I've never seen Williamson in action. Has anybody ? If so lets have some testimony about his hands, ability to run pass routes, toughness after making a reception and hanging on to the ball when getting hit, etc.
As an example, when AJ came out of Miami his skills were well know: he was very tough to bring down after a catch and had very good hands but needed
improvement on his pass routes, and obviously had very good size - many said he looked more like a LB than a WR. And he had speed but this was almost like iceing on the cake because to be sure he was (and certainly has proved to), first and most of all a football player.
Unless we just want to jump on the bandwagon and be part of the heard mentality we need something more specific and convincing than he's fast
and talented. Got to keep in mind, this guy is trying out ffor the NFL, not the 100 Meter sprint in the next Olympics.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
A better comparison is Javon Walker.
I was thinking Donte Stallworth from the same draft. SEC burner. Underclassman. Late riser after he ripped a 4.2 something at his pro day workout. Went #13 in the draft. Has been so-so as a pro.
Old 03-24-2005   #19
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shush
I really hope you and Mr. McClain (who is this guy - sorry, I'm British) are wrong.
John McClain is a local sports writer for our paper (The Houston Chronicle). He covers the entire NFL. At times he has been insightful and at other times he has been downright wrong. One area that he HAS BEEN reliable is forecasting who we would draft. He has accurately predicted the position and player we would draft all 3 years. He also said (months before it was announced) that Boselli would never play again.

I tend to think he has great inside information rather than being the next coming of Nostradamus. He thinks we will go for a WR and have Troy Williamson tagged. Again he is 3 for 3. The streak could end this year. I'm just not going to count on it.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #20
cadahnic
All Pro

I like to compare him to Donte Stallworth, but you are right Reggie was likely not the best guy to figure into the equation. I dont care about DL cause that can be addressed later, but every thing in this draft can be addressed later. This draft has the most depth than most drafts just not a lot of top-tier talent.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read