Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-03-2010   #1
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default My boy Chris Myers

I'm always defending this guy as I've believed he has been our most consistent lineman the last 3 years. I know he's not perfect, and he damn sure not the prototypical guy most of us want to see.

I've never said he was good, or great. I've always said he was our best lineman, in terms of doing his job consistently well.

Today was a good day for the Texans. He was without a doubt not the best or most consistent lineman on the field today.

Even Butler with his false start had a better game than Myers.

Don't get me wrong, he did good enough to be part of the engine that produced a 200+ rushing day & zero sacks to the Schaub.

This OL is making some strides, I wouldn't be surprised if one of those 5 guys make it to the probowl.

I also think Kubiak would be stupid to put Brown back in the starting lineup.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 10-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.
thunderkyss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #2
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My boy Chris Meyers

Not to instantly derail the topic, but your last point grabbed my attention. You already think Butler is better than Brown?
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 213686 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Not to instantly derail the topic, but your last point grabbed my attention. You already think Butler is better than Brown?
I've actually liked Butler better than both our tackles for a couple of years.
Old 10-03-2010   #4
Texan4Ever
Hall of Fame

Section: My couch
Rep Power: 17475 Texan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan4Ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I respect the fact that you defend Meyers (a.k.a. Yo' boy) but the reason Schaub doesn't get sacked so much is because he runs away and get's rid of the ball instead of just standing their in the pocket.
Texan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Meyers sure done got "Blowed up" today.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Meyers sure done got "Blowed up" today.
twice
Old 10-03-2010   #7
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Myers does a good job protecting Matt, I will agree with you that he has been our most consistent lineman the past 3 years.

I can't agree on Butler though, he had a decent day today but if you look at film from the past 2 weeks I think that he has played below average.
I will take Brown over Butler any day.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-03-2010   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I think Myers does a good job protecting Matt, I will agree with you that he has been our most consistent lineman the past 3 years.

I can't agree on Butler though, he had a decent day today but if you look at film from the past 2 weeks I think that he has played below average.
I will take Brown over Butler any day.
Two weeks ago he started his first game in the NFL. He's got all the tools IMHO, & he's more assertive & nastier than the other two.

The point is moot I don't think Kubiak would actually keep him in.
Old 10-03-2010   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

The OL deserves some credit for the improved running game. Also thought Matt had a nice pocket several occasions but held onto the ball too long waiting for WR's to uncover so some props to the Oakland secondary (of course not having to stop Andre had to be a relief).
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Myers has played well this season , much better than last season. We havent seen him have to line up against a really dominant 3-4 DT yet tho .... Its those type of guy's he struggles with.

I think he played a large part of last season with an ankle injury , I know I was raggin on him on a weekly basis , this season I havent uttered his name before this response - The less you talk about offensive linemen , the better they are performing.

Lets hope he keeps this up.

Hope is a poor mans disease.

Last edited by Corrosion; 10-03-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010   #11
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

If you constantly defend him then why don't you spell his name right?
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #12
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

giants coming to town, what did they have against the bears? 9 sacks? this next game will be interesting against that pass rush. the oline did have a solid day today.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
giants coming to town, what did they have against the bears? 9 sacks? this next game will be interesting against that pass rush. the oline did have a solid day today.
9 sacks in one half of football ..... and two QB's sent to the hot tub early.

They clearly have their work cut out for them if the Giants come up with another good game from their defensive front.
Then again , the Bears couldnt keep them honest with a running game. They are 31st in the NFL running the football.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the two games Myers & OL struggled with where both NFC East teams Washington & Dallas. expect more of the same from NY Giants. On the positive side those first two use a 3-4 while the Giants go 4-3. So it least Myers & OG's are matched up well its the edge where the TE's need to chip in a little bit more.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I've ragged on him plenty so it's nice to get up and say he's been playing well, the whole OL has. Nice to see them being the more physical group most of the time as well.

As for Butler....he's looking good. Like there hasn't been much of a drop off at all. When Brown comes back...who are your best 5 OL?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010   #16
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

This thread was originally started to talk about the improvement in consistency in good OL play from the entire line. I think that is the major difference in our run game.

Seeing Slaton & Ward getting off to good (great) starts... really shows it.
Old 10-04-2010   #17
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This thread was originally started to talk about the improvement in consistency in good OL play from the entire line. I think that is the major difference in our run game.

Seeing Slaton & Ward getting off to good (great) starts... really shows it.
The fact that our scheme is allowing RB's to improvise some helps a ton too...no more one cut and run...if the gap isn't there, our RB's are able to find the hole instead of trying to fit a square peg. It's allowed our run game to flourish and really opens up Schaub for the play action. Those bootlegs were so sweet yesterday and they could sell them because our RB's are actually useful this season.
Old 10-04-2010   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

If he's your boy, you'd think you'd at least spell his name correctly. Sheesh, TK.

I thought the Oline had a very good day yesterday. Sure, there were a few screw ups, but there isn't an oline out there that won't mess up at times.

I too, have given my fair share of props to Butler throughout preseason games. I could do without the untimely penalties, but I think he's a good one and will continue to get better.

And yes, other than gettin blowed up a couple times, Myers did his job.

Oh yeah, can't give the oline props without giving my boy a shout out. See signature. He was ON again yesterday. I counted at least 5-6 LB pancakes.
Old 10-04-2010   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
The fact that our scheme is allowing RB's to improvise some helps a ton too...no more one cut and run...if the gap isn't there, our RB's are able to find the hole instead of trying to fit a square peg. It's allowed our run game to flourish and really opens up Schaub for the play action.
I'm not sure what you are saying. The one cut and go is the thing that allows our RBs to pick their spot. It isn't predefined, that "this is where you're supposed to turn it upfield"

The RBs read the blocks, & decide which hole they are going to take.

That's the way it's always been. The only difference, so they say, is that Kubiak/Gibbs have always preached to look for the cut-back lane, where Dennison teaches his RBs to look to bounce it outside first.

Either way, the Cut back, the middle, & the outside have always been options in this system.
Old 10-04-2010   #20
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11275 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Cowboys and Redskins got sacks because they sent enough people and rushed to keep Schaub in the pocket so he couldn't get outside the pocket to throw the ball away like he likes to do.

The sacks the Redskins got were mostly a result of them sending Landry on the safety blitz. I think if teams have to send a safety to get to the QB the offense must be doing a decent job of protection and getting rid of the ball.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read