Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2005   #1
DRIFTAWAY
All Pro

Default Cedric Benson

Due to his workouts, it seems as if Benson might fall to #13, and it is becoming more and more apparent that the Texans might indeed draft Benson, so what are all of your opinions on if we draft Benson?

Do you take Benson over Williamson,Thomas Davis, or Pac-Man Jones.
DRIFTAWAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #2
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
Yes, Yes and Yes. If Benson comes to H-Town, I'd be sooooooo incredibly stoked. I'm not counting on it though.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #3
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take Benson over any player in the first rounder other than DJ, Ronnie Brown, or Braylon Edwards.

if he falls to 13 i think we should jump on him... quickly.. before someone offers us a trade that we cant refuse.

Benson be the PERFECT starting RB for us.. His style of running would compliment DD greatly.. he has durability.. he has good size.. he would basicly solve our RB problems. I love DD and I think.. if everything comes together right.. he could be a very effective RB for us. But Benson I think could come in right now and be a deciding factor in games.. something that I dont trust DD to do.

On top of that.. if he becomes a star, it will improve our fanbase here in Texas... and you know the FO wants to take as much of the texas fanbase from Dallas as they can.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #4
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots of folks are high on Benson, but I am not. IMO, he will be to slow for the next level and wind up much like Dane in NY. He does have more ability than Dane to slide by a tackler, but still seems to slow. If we pick him, then obviously I hope I am proven very wrong. I like the idea of a power back, just don't think Cedric is what I would want.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #5
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTAWAY
Yes, Hell yes (why are you even asking that), and Yes...I think Benson would be the perfect RB for our scheme...He has better cutback ability than Davis and runs with more power...He'd be great in our zone-blocking scheme...
Old 03-24-2005   #6
ComstockLode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Lots of folks are high on Benson, but I am not. IMO, he will be to slow for the next level and wind up much like Dane in NY. He does have more ability than Dane to slide by a tackler, but still seems to slow. If we pick him, then obviously I hope I am proven very wrong. I like the idea of a power back, just don't think Cedric is what I would want.
I am obviously biased, but I think that is a horrible comparison. I would put benson as more of a jerome bettis type back in his prime at my highest expectation. And at the worst, I think he will be a duce staley type back. He is no Ron Dayne, their styles of running is completely different.
ComstockLode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #7
GotMojo80
Rookie

I would compare him perhaps to Edge? A back that has decent speed, has great vision and instincst and who, in a zone bocking scheme could be great at picking out the holes. Also has the ability to run over and slide off of defenders. I never really saw Edge break any 60-70 yard runs but would just pound it, get 10 here, 7, 15, rack up the yards, i think Benson will be similar.
GotMojo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-24-2005   #8
Holden135
Veteran

I completely object to drafting Benson. Its not because he isn't a good back but we HAVE to draft where we are weak. We have a solid rb that has had short comings because of the line in front of him. We need to address weaker positions like the secondary and the line.
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #9
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Just cause I found it interesting.. in this months issue of SportingNews.. they compare the top 4 running backs to an existing NFL running back.

"According to War Room scouts, who grade and analyze more than 300 prospects in the Sporting News Pro Football Draft Guide, running back is the strongest position in the 2005 draft, earning a grade of A-minus"

Cedric Benson -8.8- Steven Davis "Has the Size, Power, Quickness and Speed to carry the load as an NFL starter."

Ronnie Brown -8.7- LaDainian Tomlinson "Plays with a mean streak and is physical at the point of attack"

Carnell Williams -8.6- Priest Holmes "Has everything a back needs, from power and toughness to vision and patience"

Ciatrick Fason -8.1- Deuce McAllister "Must become more physical but is an outstanding athlete with top-end speed"

and at the bottom it says

"prospects graded from 8.0 to 9.0 are considered potential franchise players"
Old 03-24-2005   #10
Dunta_23
All Pro

If I had to pick between Benson and Pac Man it would be hard...with the Texans plans, and our hopes they wont have a high pick like this for a long time....so I think the better value at 13 would be Pac Man...as a good RB is easier to find after round 1...Pac Man and Dunta for years to come could be scary....on the other hand, Cedric is a game breaker..strong runner...durable.....very tough call but we dont get paid to make the decisions....so we have to hope the ppl in charge make the right decision long term...
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #11
Holden135
Veteran

I find if funny that the rating scale 2 posts above has the Stephen Davis type ranked higher than a Tomlinson or Holmes type. Holmes and Tomlinson are obviously in a class above Davis. Not saying Davis isnt(well wasnt) a good back but it seems like small and quick backs are becoming the norm in the nfl and the big stephen davis/eddie george backs are becoming a thing of the past
Holden135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #12
ColdSteelBlue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
with 4.5 speed he's faster than DD. My big problem with making him a high pick is that he has a LOT wear on the tires. He could be a risk for a major injury in a year or 2.
Old 03-24-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Nah.. Stephen Davis was injured last year, and so was whats his name.. the big back for the Ravens. The year before, they owned the league. And this year, Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis owned the league. And Tomlinson isnt that small really.

Big backs are still the preference in the league.. but people are finding ways to make small backs work.. since finding that perfect RB isnt easy.
Old 03-24-2005   #14
outofhnd
All Pro

I just have this feeling, that we are going to trade down instead of draft Benson. I think we are gonna stockpile low 1 and Hi 2 round picks and shore up the defense and O line.
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #15
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

We could trade down 1 or two spots and get a 2 round pick. I believe it happened last year. Why would you say low 1st round. I would rather pass up Benson at 13 and trade down to 15-19 to get a 2nd round pick next year (believed to be a stronger year) and still have a good pick in the 2nd this year.
Old 03-24-2005   #16
Mr Shush
Veteran

Well, I think a trade offer would have to be pretty damn attractive to persuade us it wasn't worth taking Benson, but then I think some pretty damn attractive offers might come in. For those of you saying "Why bother when we have Davis?", answer me this: do you think Buffalo fans regret taking McGahee when they already had Henry?
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Shush
Well, I think a trade offer would have to be pretty damn attractive to persuade us it wasn't worth taking Benson, but then I think some pretty damn attractive offers might come in.
Trade offers from where? Take a look at the teams drafting behind the Texans and tell me who would trade up for Benson? Maybe the Jets to groom behind Curtis Martin? Or the Steelers to groom behind Bettis? Would the Texans want to move down that far in the 1st? Unless a team like Arizona reaches for a RB, I can see Benson taking a precipitous drop well into the 1st round.
Old 03-24-2005   #18
cadahnic
All Pro

Benson will not fall past 10 there is no way. I refuse to believe it. You cannot overlook his production. I look at him going to Cardinals at eight. Only if Chicago passes on him. I dont think the Bucs take Caddy and he will fall farther than anyone expects, probably to the mid-first round.
cadahnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden135
but we HAVE to draft where we are weak. .

Not True , the Texans NEED to take the best available prospect not taking position into considertation (other than QB) . You dont pass up a player who is obviously a better prospect and reach at another position just because you have more need there in the first thru 4th rounds . Doing this you pass up on more talented players and tend to overpay for those whom you made the "Reach" for. This leads to cap problems not to mention lack of talent.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #20
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion
Not True , the Texans NEED to take the best available prospect not taking position into considertation (other than QB) . You dont pass up a player who is obviously a better prospect and reach at another position just because you have more need there...
I can buy that. But what makes Benson an obviously better prospect than other players that could be available at #13 (who play positions the Texans need more)?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read