Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-02-2010   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Lets find out how deep we really are at WR/TE...

Time for KW, JJ, and Dreesen to step up while our injured pro bowlers return to health. I'd love to see us utilize Casey and Graham a bit this week, along with whichever WR isn't covered by Aso. I think Anderson can come up big for us against the Oakland.

But most importantly of all, we need the OL to keep Schaub clean and Foster to run all over that Raider defense.
Old 10-02-2010   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Lets find out how deep we really are at WR/TE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Time for KW, JJ, and Dreesen to step up while our injured pro bowlers return to health. I'd love to see us utilize Casey and Graham a bit this week, along with whichever WR isn't covered by Aso. I think Anderson can come up big for us against the Oakland.

But most importantly of all, we need the OL to keep Schaub clean and Foster to run all over that Raider defense.
I agree. Jacoby needs to have a break-out game and develop some sticky hands. He and K-Dub need to have a big day and the Raiders need a steady diet of #23!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

We are not going to being able to get where we want to go if we intend to rely mostly on AJ and/or OD to win. Our other TEs and WRs will have to be ready whenever called upon to reliably give us game plan options. Put THEM in position to win games for us now AND later.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #4
Pollardized
Division Champ

Rep Power: 91474 Pollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respectedPollardized is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We are not going to being able to get where we want to go if we intend to rely mostly on AJ and/or OD to win. Our other TEs and WRs will have to be ready whenever called upon to reliably give us game plan options. Put THEM in position to win games for us now AND later.
Exactly. I watched the colts game this past sunday, you could have wayne and clark smothered, manning finds collie. smother collie too? ok, manning finds some guy i've never heard of before for a TD. unbelievable how other teams find a way to get the ball to the open receiver, no matter who it is.
Pollardized is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #5
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be nice to see the passing offense reclaim it's elite status, especially against a good D.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #6
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping to see Foster get at least 25 carries. I haven't watched Oakland at all, but they're allowing 4.6 per rush. If Foster can attract most of the attention, that may open stuff up for the passing game which will need the help if AJ and OD are out.
RTP2110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I think Anderson can come up big for us against the Oakland.
Why? Anderson has never had a big game in his 5 year career. His high total of catches is 5. His largest receiving day in terms of yardage is 65. Anderson hasn't scored in 24 games.

Anderson is the most overrated player on the Texans roster. Not just by Texan fans, but by Kubiak and the coaching staff. It's inexplicable to me that this guy who brings so little to the table gets a roster spot, year after year.

Conversely, Jacoby Jones may be on the verge of becoming a solid NFL WR. Jones has (5) games of 50+ receiving yards in his last 9 games. If AJ is out and the Raiders stick Nnamdi on Walter (I would), JJ could come up with his biggest day as a pro.
Old 10-02-2010   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Why? Anderson has never had a big game in his 5 year career. His high total of catches is 5. His largest receiving day in terms of yardage is 65. Anderson hasn't scored in 24 games.

Anderson is the most overrated player on the Texans roster. Not just by Texan fans, but by Kubiak and the coaching staff. It's inexplicable to me that this guy who brings so little to the table gets a roster spot, year after year.

Conversely, Jacoby Jones may be on the verge of becoming a solid NFL WR. Jones has (5) games of 50+ receiving yards in his last 9 games. If AJ is out and the Raiders stick Nnamdi on Walter (I would), JJ could come up with his biggest day as a pro.

Seems like we may catch a break for our offensive game.

Raider's injury report:

Quote:
For the Silver & Black, receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey joined the injury list with a groin strain.

Players questionable are: defensive tackles Richard Seymour (hamstring) and John Henderson (foot), cornerbacks Chris Johnson (ankle) and Jeremy Ware (ankle) and safety Hiram Eugene (hamstring).
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #9
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't disagree with you. I think Kubiak feels like he's a good "clutch" receiver. 22 of his 38 receptions last year were for 1st downs.

2009 - 22 of 39 were for 1st downs
2008 - 13 of 19 were for 1st downs
2007 - 09 of 12 were for 1st downs

Whatever that is, scheme, awareness, luck, I don't know, but it's a valid stat.

But no way he's due for a big game. He's just due for more of the same.

I have issues with Jones' hands this season. Last year he made some spectacular catches but he's been extremely frustrating this year. The worst part is, when he misses the ball it almost always seems to bounce into the air begging for a INT.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

22 of 38 catches going for 1st downs is the lowest percentage (57%) among Texan WRs last season.

AJ 69 of 101 = 68%
Walter 33 of 53 = 62%
Jones 19 of 27 = 70%

The opposition has to be doing cartwheels when the Texans are targeting Anderson.
Old 10-02-2010   #11
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

If they do cartwheels then he's going to be able to run for the first!

Good point Lucky. I didn't bother to compare his numbers to the other WR's.

The crazy reality is I know I've heard a quote from Kubiak about how important having a "funny guy" like DA is to the team. Something I remember hearing when he got his extension.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #12
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30799 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Lucky,

Damn, now you have me really thinking about David Anderson. You have good points. I'd never really thought about his production before. Now that you mention it, he appears to be all smoke and mirrors.

I think a lot of us are caught up in his personality and don't really look at the player. And, because we have AJ, we really don't look at the other recievers as much.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #13
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Generally, I agree.

In fact earlier today when I was watching some college teams I saw some receivers that I'd love to have replace DA.

I think you sell him a bit short though. He does have some value. He knows how to find open spots and he has reliable hands.

He and Kevin Walter had a bout the same Catch to Target Ratio.

Walter only averaged 1.8 yards more per catch and DA actually beat him pretty good in YAC with less catches.

We can definitely find a better player than him to put on the roster or to get his receptions, but I think he is a good player.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans aren't truly deep at either position, but have okay dudes(Jones and Walter), system guys (Anderson and Dressen), and unproven potential (Dickerson, Graham and Casey), once you get past AJ and a healthy Daniels. The depth isn't terrible like some positions, but running out Jacoby, Walter, Anderson and Dressen for more than a week or two is of little interest to me.
Old 10-03-2010   #15
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I would like to see Dickerson step right into AJ's position and set it on fire. The rest of the game goes on.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read