Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2005   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who are the Texans real top prospects

who has been most impressive at their Pro Day/Combine-
  • Mike Williams
  • Braylon Edwards
  • Shawne Merriman
  • Carlos Rogers
  • Troy Williamson
  • Thomas Davis
  • Adam Pac-Man Jones

who had the most impressive College career-
  • David Pollack
  • Carnell Williams
  • Cedric Benson
  • Braylon Edwards
  • Antrell Rolle
  • Derrick Johnson
  • Carnell Cadillac Williams

who is projected to become the next star in the NFL-as rated by QI Sports NFL Potential Outcome: (Scale: Average, Good, Superstar. Elite Superstar!!!)
  • Mike Williams NFL Comparison: Plaxico Burress (But more dominating!) NFL Potential Outcome: Elite Superstar!!!
  • Ronnie Brown NFL Comparison: Patriots: Cory Dillon NFL Potential Outcome: Superstar
  • Carlos Rogers NFL Comparison: Jets: Donnie Abraham NFL Potential Outcome: Good note: I believe his stock has risen significantly & could very well now be rated Superstar status
  • Cedric Benson NFL Comparison: Packers: Ahman Green NFL Potential Outcome: Superstar
  • Carnell Cadillac Williams NFL Comparison: Seahawks: Shaun Alexander NFL Potential Outcome: Superstar
  • Derrick Johnson NFL Comparison: 49ers: LB Julian Peterson NFL Potential Outcome: Superstar
  • Braylon Edwards NFL Comparison: Texans: Andre Johnson NFL Potential Outcome: Superstar
  • Antell Rolle NFL Comparison: Bills: Nate Clements NFL Potential Outcome: Superstar

just bored I guess but would have to rank Braylon #1 followed by Mike Williams #2 (hard to believe playing on back to back National Champions would hurt is cause).

#3 Derrick Johnson, defensive playmaker will need to learn to cover
#4 Antrell Rolle, great career, a lock to have all pro career
#5 Carlos Rogers, (remember last year nobody gave Dunta a chance @ #10)
#6 Ronnie Brown, has the potential to be a great NFL back key word potential
#7 Carnell Williams, great career, mentally tough, pkg of skills
#8 Cedric Benson, may be there for the Texans, durable pounder
#9 Shawne Merriman, is he a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB? maybe both
#10 David Pollack, NFL 3-4 OLB with quickness to cover or pass rush
#11 Pac-Man, needs Glenn's touch to refine his skills to become another DR
#12 Thomas Davis, great run support & can cover could be a match @ ILB
#13 Troy Williamson, Bradfords replacement? blend of speed & raw talent

here is some cool artwork as well- http://www.drafticon.com/draft_icons.html

Last edited by beerlover; 03-23-2005 at 08:54 PM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
1) 2) Thomas Davis - shore up the secondary, dont rely on Earl to make it to the next level. TD will impact the D immediately.
I must admit this is somewhat an about face for me on Thomas Davis because of the radical changes to our linebackers it seems the Texans are looking for better speed & cover skills which having played safety in a linebacker frame would serve Thomas well with the Texans. a poor mans Derrick Johnson if you will, so I would not be as oppossed as before thinking the Texans would draft him to play safety when Earl Glenn is so promising. also he adds depth to both positons, if needed due to injury he could fill in the Safety spot as well.
Old 03-23-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109114 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I've been thinking him and Shazor are linebackers for a while. I think both of them could play inside for us.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #4
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
I've been thinking him and Shazor are linebackers for a while. I think both of them could play inside for us.
Davis is way more athletic than Shazor. Davis ran around 4.45 in his pro day and Shazor ran around 4.70. I hope TD plays SS for some team. Can you imagine a 230 pound tackling machine coming at you with his speed?
Old 03-23-2005   #5
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2271 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Im worried about Davis.. mostly because ive seen so many reports that he does not have good coverage skills. If we were to pick him I would be skeptical.

But as people have pointed out.. they said AJ didnt run good routes.. and there were some knocks on Dunta too (cant remember them off the top of my head, but he turned out pretty dang good).. so who knows?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #6
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Im worried about Davis.. mostly because ive seen so many reports that he does not have good coverage skills. If we were to pick him I would be skeptical.
We already drafted one SS with weak coverage skills. I don't necessarily believe that we will draft TD, but he is no doubt a better football player than Earl.
Old 03-23-2005   #7
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
We already drafted one SS with weak coverage skills. I don't necessarily believe that we will draft TD, but he is no doubt a better football player than Earl.
Just curious, but what's better about Davis? Both are hard-hitters that excel against the run but have below average cover skills...Davis' speed may be a little better, and his size is better, but that's it...
Old 03-23-2005   #8
wags
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
Just curious, but what's better about Davis? Both are hard-hitters that excel against the run but have below average cover skills...Davis' speed may be a little better, and his size is better, but that's it...
Me thinks you did not watch many Georgia games. Davis is one of those guys who is always around the ball. TD is a great blitzer and an amazing tackler. Ask any Georgia fan if they have ever seen him miss a tackle. Ever. If you watched the Wisconsin game you saw his blitz ability. He absolutely blew up Anthony Davis on his way to the sack.

Earl averaged 3.5 tackles a game this year. Is that the kind of production you want? Besides the tackles he made zero plays. Zero.

Why is he better? Bigger, quicker, better tackler, better blitzer, and he actually makes plays.

Old 03-23-2005   #9
GoBlue
Rookie

Default Shazor in 3rd- no higher

I'm a huge Michigan fan (class of '94) and have watched every game Shazor has played in, including last season. He is a decent player and hard hitter but he lacks in coverage skills and is by no means a playmaker (that's why Marlin Jackson was still playing safety until this year) Taking Shazor before the 3rd round I think would be a BIG mistake (as much as I would love to see more Maize & blue wearing Steel Blue). I still think D-line/OLB is our most pressing need and someone who can play immediately with impact will be there at #13.
GoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #10
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 684 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I didn't watch any Dawg games last year, that's why I asked you, someone who has seen him play in numerous games, about him...I appreciate the input though...I have asked this exact question for a while now, and you are the only person who has come up with a viable answer...I doubt we go the route of SS in the 1st, but if he was chosen, I wouldn't complain too loudly...
Old 03-23-2005   #11
wags
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
...I doubt we go the route of SS in the 1st, but if he was chosen, I wouldn't complain too loudly...
I think there is little chance of him being taken also. I still enjoy pimping him though.
Old 03-23-2005   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Wags, I will kind of combine you and Vinny on this--if the Texans want to draft him to replace Foreman then I can start to warm to it--a hard hitter, good in run support, played LB before, weak in coverage as a SS so probably strong as a LB, very athletic LB sounds like something the Texans might be looking towards. If it is in the Bottle mode of replacing Earl, I think it is a bad idea with the #13 pick.
Old 03-23-2005   #13
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

I think Davis at ILB makes sense, but would he be better than other ILBs who wouldn't be as much of a project (Crowder, Thurman, Ruud)? I'll leave that decision to CC, but it makes for fun offseason discussion...
Old 03-23-2005   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

just curious here and yes, I don't follow Georgia football.

As far as Davis not being able to be good in coverage. Is this a coachable problem? I.e. footwork, recognition? ....I don't see us drafting him..but pondered this scenario (yes it is crazy) if he did come in and beat whoever out of the starting LB spot... and worked on coverage skills....would he be Colemans replacement and move from LB to safety? or is he just too slow?

and yes I am wondering err maybe bored and looking for info
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Wags, I will kind of combine you and Vinny on this--if the Texans want to draft him to replace Foreman then I can start to warm to it--a hard hitter, good in run support, played LB before, weak in coverage as a SS so probably strong as a LB, very athletic LB sounds like something the Texans might be looking towards. If it is in the Bottle mode of replacing Earl, I think it is a bad idea with the #13 pick.
ILB thats the key, now is he the best player available @ #13

obviously I did not include the QB's in the Texans Real Top Prospects so that would drop him down my list to the #13 or #14th spot if they go early, hence if these guys go in this order we would have our choice of Adam Jones CB, Thomas Davis ILB/S & Troy Williamson WR.
Old 03-23-2005   #16
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Yep, Davis must of laid a couple of people out during that game above cause it was against the power house that is Northwestern State University in Natchitoches

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #17
wags
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
just curious here and yes, I don't follow Georgia football.
Yea, I knew I would come off the wrong way. I have to defend my boy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
As far as Davis not being able to be good in coverage. Is this a coachable problem? I.e. footwork, recognition? ....I don't see us drafting him..but pondered this scenario (yes it is crazy) if he did come in and beat whoever out of the starting LB spot... and worked on coverage skills....would he be Colemans replacement and move from LB to safety? or is he just too slow?
No Davis is not too slow. I'm glad he showed it in the pro day, because people were really believing the .com detractors.

The reason people are saying he is weak in coverage is basically because of one play in the Auburn game. Davis come up to stop the run on a sweep and Caddy threw the ball over his head for a touchdown. He bit on the HB pass that week, but the next week he almost intercepted a HB pass. Georgia also switched TD and Greg Blue throughout the game. By this I mean that TD did not line up at SS every play, he sometimes played FS, or down in the box as a third linebacker. Some people got confused on who was blowing coverage Blue or Davis. Thomas Davis is not bad in coverage, he just got burned on a HB pass on the national stage. Probably the only game some people watched.
Old 03-23-2005   #18
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Just an FYI, but we cut Brown about two weeks ago...I think our depth at safety is decent, but it could be upgraded...The starters are fine, but behind them, there are serious depth questions...Can Lord be a good back-up FS, or will we use dime back Lewis Sanders in this role? Can Ramon Walker come back and play well after a year on IR? Can Simmons follow-up on the best year of his 8 year career? We shall soon know the answers to these questions...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #19
outofhnd
All Pro

What about Marcus Spears, Or Antraj Hawthorne, where are they on your talent list? We Need DT's Badly. Aside from Robaire I really dont see our D line getting to much push at the point of attack. They are not occupying enough blockers to free up our pass rush LBs to get a shot at the opposing QB.

This is our biggest need and unfortunately not the greatest draft for 3-4 lineman
outofhnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #20
ColdSteelBlue
Veteran

Personly I would like to see us trade down and pick up Shazor as a LB. IMHO he is better suited to that than SS in the NFL.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read