Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Owen Daniels Hamstring Injury

I know teams deal with injuries but honestly, do they have to deal with them like we do? I don't recall Oiler games where are best players were hurt all the time every season.

I'm kind of hopeful that they sit him. I don't see how a week off could hurt his recovery. He's clearly not full speed. His explosion and burst are almost non existent. We shot some video of him trying to explode out of a cut and it's embarrassing. If you haven't seen it, you can check it out here.

I feel like James Casey is a much better option right now for the simple reason that he should be able to get separation from the LB's. OD has that knack for sitting in the open spots and that's probably the reason he's out there. In pure passing situations I wouldn't mind seeing #86 lined up in his spot.

I know teams deal with injuries but honestly, do they have to deal with them like we do? I don't recall Oiler games where are best players were hurt all the time every season.

I was just thinking the same thing. I mean, damn.

Wes Welker had a major injury at the end of last season, and has apparently come back at full speed, and he's had less time to recover than OD. And, wasn't Dez Bryant with the Cowboys injured during pre-season? And, Reggie Bush is already claiming he'll be able to come back sooner than expected.

Seems like players from other teams can bounce back, but ours can't. Sucks.

Wes Welker had a major injury at the end of last season, and has apparently come back at full speed, and he's had less time to recover than OD. And, wasn't Dez Bryant with the Cowboys injured during pre-season? And, Reggie Bush is already claiming he'll be able to come back sooner than expected.

You're comparing totally different injuries. Even two injuries that have the same name "ACL" can't be considered identical injuries. If that's how medicine worked, there would be a kiosk at the mall for getting your ACL repaired.

You're comparing totally different injuries. Even two injuries that have the same name "ACL" can't be considered identical injuries. If that's how medicine worked, there would be a kiosk at the mall for getting your ACL repaired.

True. I was only half-joking. You are correct: Not every person is the same nor heals the same. I'm merely frustrated at our injuries.

I'm kind of hopeful that they sit him. I don't see how a week off could hurt his recovery. He's clearly not full speed. His explosion and burst are almost non existent. We shot some video of him trying to explode out of a cut and it's embarrassing. If you haven't seen it, you can check it out here.

I feel like James Casey is a much better option right now for the simple reason that he should be able to get separation from the LB's. OD has that knack for sitting in the open spots and that's probably the reason he's out there. In pure passing situations I wouldn't mind seeing #86 lined up in his spot.

Is'nt James Casey hurt also?

Is'nt James Casey hurt also?

He was supposed to be but he wasn't on the most resent injury report. He had that "pretty bad ankle" and he was supposed to "miss some pretty good time" but then suddenly he was in the lineup and playing last week.

I believe there was mention of him "having a hamstring" after the game but again, no mention of him on the injury report.

My guess is the guy is banged up all too often and is allowed to play even though we've probably yet to see what he's capable of because he's playing hurt constantly.

He was supposed to be but he wasn't on the most resent injury report. He had that "pretty bad ankle" and he was supposed to "miss some pretty good time" but then suddenly he was in the lineup and playing last week.

I believe there was mention of him "having a hamstring" after the game but again, no mention of him on the injury report.

My guess is the guy is banged up all too often and is allowed to play even though we've probably yet to see what he's capable of because he's playing hurt constantly.

Our Team does seam pretty banged up!

Casey? Over Dressen?

As of right now I think Joel is by far and away the best pass catching option at TE. Add to that the drafting of Graham looks much more inspired as of this week.

Casey? Over Dressen?

As of right now I think Joel is by far and away the best pass catching option at TE. Add to that the drafting of Graham looks much more inspired as of this week.

Has Graham been active yet? He looked good in PS.

Casey? Over Dressen?

They are different types of players. Dreesen is 10 pounds heavier and an inch taller. I was speaking specifically about Daniels inability to get seperation. In a pure passing situation Casey might be a better option than Daniels. The Texans feature the 2 TE set frequently and Dreesen is a very good blocker. If Casey can line up in that set instead of Daniels and is able to get seperation from the LB that could be a more effective option than having OD in there.

I'd imagine they are playing it safe with Daniels. Kubiak said today that it's like he's coming into the 4th preseason game.

He’s four or five weeks into this deal which is probably where most guys will be coming out of the third preseason game before they get going for the season. His body is at that point right now. We’ll starting to bring him back the right way.

Sounds to me like he's talking about that worn out period where they have to ease up as the players grind down at the end of camp. Starters get that 4th game off to rest up. I expect that to be a heavy consideration come Sunday.

EDIT:

Of course Dale Robertson has these quotes from Daniels:

Daniels said his hamstring was much improved over how it felt early in the week. On Friday, he called it “a real mild” issue.

“It grabbed me a couple of times in the game and the same thing happened Wednesday,” he said. “I see no doubt that I’ll play. It’s gotten a lot better. I wasn’t in the best of moods Tuesday and Wednesday. It just the grind of betting into football shape and getting banged around.

Sounds like smoke and mirrors or head coach versus players.

If it were up to me I'd try to rest OD. If The Beast wants to play however, he plays.

Bush has a high fibula stress fracture. Stress fractures of this type are so slight that they cannot be seen on regular x-ray, only on MRI. The higher a fibular fracture the less complicated and less lengthy the recovery. Remember the fibula bone sustains only 10% of the weight bearing. Many of these require no cast or splinting and are simply treated with a limited period of rest, ice and anti-inflammatory meds. It is not usual for runners to be back to running by 4-6 weeks.

OD also didn't get many workouts in while he was out. I think he's going to be good when he finally gets through his "preseason". At least I hope so. I wouldn't mind sitting AJ and OD out for this game.

Agree with Cloak. The fibula's only function is for attachment of muscle. A fibula fracture is not nearly as serious as a tibia / femur fracture, which are both weight bearing bones.

Bush has a high fibula stress fracture. Stress fractures of this type are so slight that they cannot be seen on regular x-ray, only on MRI. The higher a fibular fracture the less complicated and less lengthy the recovery. Remember the fibula bone sustains only 10% of the weight bearing. Many of these require no cast or splinting and are simply treated with a limited period of rest, ice and anti-inflammatory meds. It is not usual for runners to be back to running by 4-6 weeks.

You had mentioned that the big thing to watch for, when OD came back, was how the surrounding muscles and tendons, etc., would fare in order to compensate for the weakened ACL.

Am I wrong on this? Have I missed which hammy he's having problem with?

You had mentioned that the big thing to watch for, when OD came back, was how the surrounding muscles and tendons, etc., would fare in order to compensate for the weakened ACL.

Am I wrong on this? Have I missed which hammy he's having problem with?

GP, you're correct.

That was my concern.........and it has been realized. OD is suffering from a right hamstring injury........the opposite side as his recent ACL repair. When you try to "guard" one joint, many times you put additional stress on the stabilizing muscles of that joint, and many times stress is transferred to another joint and its surrounding stabilizing muscles, not atypically on the other side. Furthermore, if at any point, his right hamstring was used for one of his ACL repairs (he's had THREE, so it's unlikely that all three were repaired using patellar tendon), then the points of permanent atrophy and weakness that I elaborated in THIS POST would hold true.

I think this is the game for the coaching staff to start using Casey as a receiving weapon. He may not be big enough or experienced enough to be a great blocker yet, but Casey really does have receiving talent and with AJ and Daniels both nicked up, why not use him matched up against a linebacker all day?

I may be in the minority here but as I've stated prior, I hope AJ and OD just ride the pine in this one and maybe even the Giants if they're both not 100% ready to go. The season starts after the bye, we need our hosses fully recovered and ready to inflict damage starting week 7 IMHO.

OD is clearly not 100% yet. Dreesen is a starter caliber TE. They are rushing OD back too soon having him play too much and his body simply cannot handle it this early in the season.

Let the young TEs get some valuable reps and allow Dreesen to put up the solid performances we know he's capable of so OD can get back to 100% the right way...

Unless they intentionally want him to look average so he doesn't have much leverage come FA.

Back