Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 03-23-2005   #1
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Default O Coordinator and RB coach at UT Pro Day

Boht the Chris Palmer and Chris Harris were at the UT pro day. I dont think that Ced Benson will fall to us, but maybe he is who we are looking at, either that or we are trying to smoke screen the other teams. I dont think the RB coach was there to check out FB Will Mathews.
Old 03-23-2005   #2
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there's a good chance that he's there at 13...His workout numbers weren't good enough to allow him to jump over either of the Auburn backs...
Old 03-23-2005   #3
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK
I think there's a good chance that he's there at 13...His workout numbers weren't good enough to allow him to jump over either of the Auburn backs...
Damned be the workout numbers...everyone online takes them like they are the original Mona Lisa in terms of importance in a prospect's prospectus. I dont know why Benson would need to jump over Cadillac either, IMO he's two blocks ahead of him in every department..
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
Damned be the workout numbers...everyone online takes them like they are the original Mona Lisa in terms of importance in a prospect's prospectus. I dont know why Benson would need to jump over Cadillac either, IMO he's two blocks ahead of him in every department..
Personally, I don't think Benson is the worst of the three, but I think if you look at the teams that may draft a RB in the top 12, Benson wouldn't be a good fit for all of them...

Miami - Benson would be a good fit and may go here
Chicago - Benson would be a good fit, but chances are they won't take a RB
Tampa - Benson would not be a good fit for them...They'll take either Mike Williams or Caddy
Minnesota - Benson wouldn't be a good fit and they probably won't draft a RB in the 1st
Arizona - Benson isn't a good fit

Therefore, it's my opinion that if he isn't taken in the top 5, he'll slide to 13...
Old 03-23-2005   #5
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Two of the top picks in the draft are in your own back yard...why wouldnt you go? I wouldnt over analyze this one.

No way DJ falls to 13.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #6
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Tampa - Benson would not be a good fit for them...They'll take either Mike Williams or Caddy
Yar, I've heard the Chuckie likes Caddy rumors as well...but I just dont see why people like Caddy...He's small, slow(er than Ronnie Brown) and had HUGE injuries.
Old 03-23-2005   #7
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Caddy is probably the most elusive back of the top three, and to be honest I think Brown is far and away the best back of the three. However, it's tough to be elusive when you're sitting on the IR.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-23-2005   #8
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
to be honest I think Brown is far and away the best back of the three
I agree, but the one thing I find hard to believe is if he is such a better player than Caddy, then why was Brown relegated to 3rd down duties in college? Maybe Tuberville thought he was too injury prone? Or maybe it was just what he thought was the best thing for the team...Either way, that is a hard fact to grasp...
Old 03-23-2005   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate
Two of the top picks in the draft are in your own back yard...why wouldnt you go? I wouldnt over analyze this one.
Right. I mean what is it, 170 miles over to Austin, its just a day trip in the car and they might even have a
couple good restaurants over there. Don't read too much between the
lines.
But Bensons #s were real mediorce anyway, he might not go too high. Course
he's one thing that DDs not and that's durable.
DJ will probably be top 5 though - tremendous LB !
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #10
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
I agree, but the one thing I find hard to believe is if he is such a better player than Caddy, then why was Brown relegated to 3rd down duties in college? Maybe Tuberville thought he was too injury prone? Or maybe it was just what he thought was the best thing for the team...Either way, that is a hard fact to grasp...
Brown was not regegated to a 3rd down back. Tuberville and the Offensive coordinator tried as hard as they could to get him on the field, sometimes they lined him up as a FB in the I-formation and also lined up as a WR (they said he had the best hands on the team) when Cadillac was in the game. It was tough for Brown cause Cadillac was a heck of a back in college.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #11
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346
Caddy is probably the most elusive back of the top three, and to be honest I think Brown is far and away the best back of the three.
Thats the thing. Each of these backs brings a different thing to the table.

Cadillac - Elusive but small and injury prone.
Brown - Probably the best double threat back in the draft, but relatively unproven.
Benson - Power guy who will carry a guy 5 yards before going down. Durable, but slow.

It's all about what you want, really.
Old 03-23-2005   #12
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
But Bensons #s were real mediorce anyway, he might not go too high. Course he's one thing that DDs not and that's durable
I wouldn't read too much into Ced's workout numbers...The guy is a player...

The only thing that worries me about him is the number of miles he has already amassed...Being the focal point of an offense for 4 years before entering the NFL can't be good for him...
Old 03-23-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

well with all the talk of quickness on this board lately.. Do we have his Cone Drill numbers? or his short shuttle? Personally ill take quickness over speed. Speed will get you that 40 yard rush once or thrice a game.. but quickness can get you 3.5 yards every time.. and thats what you really need.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #14
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Speed will get you that 40 yard rush once or thrice a game.. but quickness can get you 3.5 yards every time.. and thats what you really need.
As will the ability to run a DB over when you are running to the outside, or being able to drag an undersized LB 4-5 yards as he wraps up on you. Top-end speed means doodoo.
Old 03-23-2005   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Well.. at 5'10" 225... I dont expect Benson to be able to DRAG people all that often.. not in the NFL. Players are alot bigger and alot better at tackling in the pros than they are in College. Though im sure he would have enough oomph to grab a couple more yards if a CB or S was trying to take him down.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #16
Mr Shush
Veteran

I think the style question is much more relevant to Benson potentially falling than workout numbers - if Miami take Brown for his upside and Gruden wants Williams's babies after the Senior Bowl, then the possibilities between Benson and 13 come down to Arizona, who could either trade for Henry or take a back in a lower round, or someone trading up in front of us to take him (a real possibility, especially if the Cards take the second CB and Washington then want to trade down).
Mr Shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005   #17
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

If Ced isn't picked by 5, I think he'll slide to 13 unless someone trades up ahead of us to take him...He just won't fit in Arizona's WCO and they'll probably take a CB in the 1st and either Fason or Barber III in the 2nd...
Old 03-24-2005   #18
Rosusu
All Pro

It is going to be weird seeing DJ and Benson in something besides burnt orange, it fit them so well. I guess Steel blue wouldnt be too bad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read