Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-01-2004   #1
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame
Default Pro Bowl Players

I think the Texans have more players that have a chance to make it to the Pro Bowl this year than in the past...maybe not as starters but at least make it. Who could go?
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Walker & Glenn--they have been there and IMO they are not too old to go again.
Sharper
Payne
Stanley--outside chance if he keeps pegging them inside the 20
AJ--400 more yards and he would be the 4th most productive wr last year--longshot but not impossible.

Not going to make it IMO:
Carr--expect a lot of improvement but don't see him beating out Manning, McNair or Brady.
DD--If Tomlinson can rush for 1645 yards and catch 100 passes for another 725 yards and not make it, DD has a huge up hill battle.
Old 05-01-2004   #3
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Yeah...I agree with what you said. Carr is good, but he isn't great, and there are some great quarterbacks, like you said, that he'd have to beat out. I don't think AJ is a long shot but it'll be tough for him to go.
Old 05-01-2004   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

For a little more perspective on the odds for AJ and DD:

There are 4 WR slots and 3 RB slots.

Last year AJ was the 6th most productive WR in the AFC--200 more yards would have put him into 4th (that really does look achievable), 300 more into 3rd and 400 more into 1st. The pro-bowl WR's appear to have been selected purely on yardage.

DD was the 11th most productive RB in the AFC--to break into the top 3 DD would have needed another 561 yards. The RB's selected were the 1st, 3rd and 5th on yardage. Holmes at 5 did set a new record for TD's. Taylor at 4th on yardage had two less TD's than DD. Still don't understand how Portis had less rushing yardage, less than half the receiving yards, only one more TD and still beat Tomlinson other than play-off team vs. horrible team. Anyway, even 2000 combined yards won't guarantee DD a pro-bowl berth.
Old 05-01-2004   #5
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

IMO the afc is loaded with great runningbacks...Davis would have to have just a fantastic season in order to get voted in...recievers are another thing...i could see andre going...with manning and mcnair it'll be hard for carr to get a chance...glenn, walker, sharper, and maybe coleman if he's moved to FS...if he puts up another 7 int season as a FS i would say he's earned a spot on the pro bowl...and i don't want to see our punter going to the pro bowl...that'll mean we're punting too much
Old 05-01-2004   #6
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Sharper got robbed last year.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #7
BigTex
Rookie

That's right Sharper IMHO should have gone to the probowl last year. Seemed to me he had a good enough season to make it there what a rip
Old 05-01-2004   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not just the numbers, but the teams record that carries a lot of clout. Even then, it's about winning consistantly. Even with very good years, expect guys like Carr, AJ, & DD to miss a Pro Bowl early in their careers when their numbers suggest they should make it.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #9
Ravens_52
Rookie

I hope Sharper has a good year and makes it to the Pro Bowl, i'd also like to see AJ there as well.
Ravens_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #10
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

One thing that will help is when we get a little more exposure on national tv and more attention from espn etc. The fact is people and the rest of the league just don't see much of the Texans yet and it will take some more popularity to beat out the fan favorites that annually make it.
ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #11
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Amen to that. So many times I find myself trying to convince sports fans on the East Coast to watch them....the sports bars down here that run NFL Sunday Ticket will ALWAYS pull the Texans game off their screens to add extra screens for "marquee" games. And even after the Dolphins got thwacked by the Texans, nobody in the local media had a CLUE who Domanick Davis was at ANY point in the season! National exposure will help tremendously.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004   #12
rittenhouserobz
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to rittenhouserobz

I think Sharper, Walker, Glenn, and Coleman on defense.
AJ on offense.
Stanley on ST.
Old 05-01-2004   #13
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
One thing that will help is when we get a little more exposure on national tv and more attention from espn etc. The fact is people and the rest of the league just don't see much of the Texans yet and it will take some more popularity to beat out the fan favorites that annually make it.
Like the fact they went to commercial everytime we picked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittenhouserobz
I think Sharper, Walker, Glenn, and Coleman on defense.
AJ on offense.
Stanley on ST.
I can see AJ, Stanley, and Sharper, but Walker and Glenn are two years removed from their last probowls.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Old 05-01-2004   #14
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

I don't think we have to have national coverage for our guys to get noticed. Isn't that what Sportcenter and the other sporting news shows are for...to show the highlights and good plays made during the games. National coverage would help, but if our guys make plays- they'll get noticed.
Old 05-01-2004   #15
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Atleast we always have national coverage after week one of the season

Old 05-02-2004   #16
dmt217
Veteran

I think it'll be Stanley and Sharper.
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #17
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Stanley doesn't get the huge average needed to get elected to the Pro Bowl. Even though net average should be more important (which takes into accounts touchbacks and return yardage), the guys that get to the Pro Bowl are the ones who kick it deep.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that I never want to see Stanley in the Pro Bowl because that means our offense is punting and I quite frankly would like to see our 3rd down conversions improved this year.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004   #19
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269

I stress this a lot as well. Maybe after this season we can get as much coverage as the other high profile teams around the league. Let's just hope that when that happens our players don't get arrogant, which I doubt.

Everyone seems to underestimate us now even if they do say we have a lot of potential. I think they just say that...this year they'll find out it's true! Hehe, I can't wait till the season starts to see how shocked the football world will be with the Texans this year!!
Old 05-03-2004   #20
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOrange
Stanley doesn't get the huge average needed to get elected to the Pro Bowl. Even though net average should be more important (which takes into accounts touchbacks and return yardage), the guys that get to the Pro Bowl are the ones who kick it deep.
Hentrich doesnt have a great leg either and he went. The reason I think he went is because he threw a couple of nice passes during the season (didnt he throw a TD) and also doubled as the kicker when their kicker got hurt.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read