Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2010   #1
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3214 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ may be out this Sunday.

Didn't see this posted elsewhere... I know it had been discussed, but it had always seemed like he'd play regardless. He'll probably still end up being out there, but FWIW I'd rather him sit out.

Quote:
"I'm sure it'll be a game-time decision," said the coach. Kubiak added that Johnson is "sore," but no worse for wear than he was at this time last week.
Quote:
Johnson expects to do some running tomorrow during practice, as he did last Thursday. The four-time Pro Bowler said he has considered the possibility of sitting out a game to give his ankle two weeks to rest, but he’s preparing as if he's going to play on Sunday.
Link

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ may be out this Sunday.

Sounds to me more likely that he's going to play
Old 09-30-2010   #3
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 10194 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wouldn't bother me to see him rest this weekend, get that ankle fully healed so AJ won't have to even worry about it.
Old 09-30-2010   #4
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

The Raiders don't look like total toilet water and I would not want to just look past them. If AJ is healthy for real play him, if he is legit hurt sit him, but I want to go full bore against the Raiders. I really think they are a little better than their record shows but obviously not world beaters.

Knowing AJ he'll say he is fine to try to play anyway.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #5
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 843 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Can we suit him up and just see how the game goes without him or will that ruin a gameplan?

The schedule after our bye is brutal and important with all remaining AFC South games coming after the bye.

Along with 2 MNF games and a Thursday night game @ the Linc in Philly.

We should be able to beat the Raiders without AJ.
Old 09-30-2010   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

We need him on the field at the least as a decoy. We need Asomugha to cover him so it will open things up for the other guys.
Old 09-30-2010   #7
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
We should be able to beat the Raiders without AJ.
Party foul! You know you how many times this team "should" have done something or another.

If the Texans have taught me anything it's that the word "should" needs to be expunged from the vocabulary in regards to them.

And you know it's true....sad at times, but true.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2010   #8
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
We need him on the field at the least as a decoy. We need Asomugha to cover him so it will open things up for the other guys.
If AJ is not 100% and the Raiders and Asomugha realize this they switch DB's out so now someone else is on AJ who is not healthy and risking further injury and Asomugha covers whoever else may be having a good day.

It's a tricky situation....

Old 09-30-2010   #9
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

See, if we had beat the Cowboys, then I'd have no problem sitting AJ this week. But, we didn't, so the Texans need him to play.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather he sit out and get healthy, no use risking an ongoing injury. We're going to be running the ball alot anyway agianst the Raiders.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #11
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99925 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

If his sitting out for a game against Oakland means he recuperates fully and does returns to him old self. I'm all for him chillin for a game.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #12
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3596 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTown2ATX View Post
If AJ is not 100% and the Raiders and Asomugha realize this they switch DB's out so now someone else is on AJ who is not healthy and risking further injury and Asomugha covers whoever else may be having a good day.

It's a tricky situation....
I'm fine with that as long as it's after the first drive where OD delivers on a TE streak getting us down to the 5 and Walter snatches a quick slant to put us up 7-0. Then AJ can sit.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #13
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

All this sit him play him business is silly.

If he's healthy enough to play, he should play.
If he's not, he should sit.

Why would we sit him if he's good to go?

"Any Given Sunday" applies more this year than in any I can remember. We have some real parity in the NFL now. The Raiders are a few missed FGs away from being 2-1, same record as us. This overconfidence that we can somehow beat them easily even with our best player sitting out is bad mojo.

We've had a lot of trouble with the Raiders in the past. I take no chances
Old 09-30-2010   #14
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
All this sit him play him business is silly.

If he's healthy enough to play, he should play.
If he's not, he should sit.

Why would we sit him if he's good to go?

"Any Given Sunday" applies more this year than in any I can remember. We have some real parity in the NFL now. The Raiders are a few missed FGs away from being 2-1, same record as us. This overconfidence that we can somehow beat them easily even with our best player sitting out is bad mojo.

We've had a lot of trouble with the Raiders in the past. I take no chances
So much trouble against the Raiders, that we are 4-1 against them lifetime. We'd probably run it more than anything, with a few play actions. It's always nice to have AJ out there, but if we can rest him this week, and have him healthier the next two weeks going into the bye, that's something you have to think about. If we were 3-0 right now instead of 2-1, I'd sit AJ, no question about it.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #15
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

I read on the Raider site that's it a high-ankle sprain. Hadn't heard that from the Texans. Anyone heard this?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #16
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3214 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
This overconfidence that we can somehow beat them easily even with our best player sitting out is bad mojo.
I don't have overconfidence at all about beating the Raiders. It's more of a risk/reward thing. Beating the Raiders with AJ and potentially further agitating the injury to the extent that at some point he would have to sit out when we may need him later in the season, OR, rest him at the risk of losing this game to the Raiders so he can be at the very least closer to 100% for the rest of the season. I'll take the latter, please.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
Old 09-30-2010   #17
scourge 
Digression King

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I read on the Raider site that's it a high-ankle sprain. Hadn't heard that from the Texans. Anyone heard this?
Per the link provided in the first post...

Quote:
The effects of high-ankle sprains often can linger for several weeks, depending on their severity.

“They’re pretty nagging,” Johnson said. “It’s something that’s going to bother me until it just fully heals. After I re-aggravated it last game, they told me that it hadn’t gotten any worse; it was just every time I take a hit on it or I’m tackled a certain way, I’m going to feel pain. The only thing I could do is just come out for a few plays and if I’m able to go back and play, I can continue playing.

"That’s just pretty much how it’s going to be until it fully heals.”

Quote:
Old 09-30-2010   #18
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7106 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

lets go back to that week one game plan
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #19
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans threw the ball, excessively, for the entire first half of the Colts game.
They STILL come out throwing it a little too much for my tastes.
Old 09-30-2010   #20
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
They STILL come out throwing it a little too much for my tastes.
Agreed 100%.

If I were the OC, everyone we faced would get a heavy dose of Arian as the lead off. Lean on the run to set up the play action.....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read