Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is there a reason to be concerned about Schaub's performance?
Yes, his performance has been shaky and there should be a reason for concern. 41 35.04%
No, Schaub will be fine. 76 64.96%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010   #1
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Is something wrong with Schaub?

Yes, this is a serious question. Schaub so far this season does not look like the Schaub of last year at all, and it does have me a bit concerned. He's throwing the ball behind many of his receivers, holding onto the ball too long at times, and not making as sharp of decisions as i have seen him make. So far my thoughts of him have been as such...

Week 1 vs Indy-Was not required to throw the ball much due to the success of the running game and Foster in particular, but outside of the touchdown pass to the wide open Kevin Walter, his throws that he had to make were very shaky.

Week 2 @ Was-Put up outstanding numbers, led the great comeback, but was it more on the Redskins' struggles? His first half was pretty average, and our comeback started when it seemed like the Redskins had switched to the "bend but don't break" style of defense, a plan which ultimately backfired. If we didn't have the beast known as Andre Johnson on the field, the comeback might have been cut short regardless. I shouldn't be complaining about his performance in a great win, but it might be up for debate.

Week 3 vs Dallas-Did not look very comfortable in the pocket, probably due to having a backup LT covering his blindside and a defense that puts alot of pressure on QBs. Still managed to hold onto the ball way too long, threw behind a few receivers again, and made a couple decisions that had me wondering. This game could have been a win despite Schaub's "meh" performance if the o-line had any sort of fight in them against the cowboys defense in the redzone.

So is there something to be concerned about here? Or am i just seeing things that aren't exactly correct, and you think Schaub will be fine?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is something wrong with Schaub?

Matt has games all the time where he doesn't look all that sharp.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #3
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Matt has games all the time where he doesn't look all that sharp.
Especially early in the year.
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222017 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes , there's something wrong - Schaub keeps tripping over defenders in his backfield.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #5
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 51498 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he misses li'l Shanny.
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I think every game has been so completely different from the other that its impossible to conclude anything at this point. Ask me in week 10 or 11.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #7
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 109604 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Excluding the times that protection totally breaks down, he has had a better sensitivity to the pocket, which all elite QB's must have.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-29-2010   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

he looked rushed at times during the cowboy game but held the ball to long as well. maybe not having brown and it being 3-4 threw him off for the day. maybe last years success has him a little rattled.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Yes , there's something wrong - Schaub keeps tripping over defenders in his backfield.
Wait, what?
Old 09-29-2010   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm worried.

I finally saw Matt become a play-maker over the second half of 2009.

Now we're having to see him go through that growth process again.
Old 09-29-2010   #11
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
I think he misses li'l Shanny.
Agree. It's still Kubiak's offense, but I'm sure there are some differences between Kyle & Dennison. Some of his slow performance could be from learning a slightly new offense.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #12
jshabang
Quality Backup!

Rep Power: 90 jshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respectedjshabang is a quality contributor and well respected

hate to sound negative but i was thinkin the same thing......just looks to have regressed a little to me.....dont see the decisiveness that i thought he would have coming off a year where he lead the league in passing

not looking elite and quick with the ball like most elite qb's ala peyton, rivers, brees.....who have taken that next step in reading defenses and reacting....I saw rivers last week in the redzone throw about 3 touchdowns back to back cuz his guys got penaltties and i was like man....thats a qb who knows his offense and is in a different comfort zone

when schaub has playactioned this year it has looked horrible.....on some go routes the ball has been either underthrown or overthrown......no slants at all....zero over the middle to the tightends except that 1 play to dreesen in washington...these were staples for schaub last season which he looks to be lost on this season

dont know if this is due to qb or receivers but the chemistry either way doesnt look quit there with them to me.....and hes holding the ball for a eternity....which he wasnt doing at all the end of last season???

is it the receivers not gettin open, qb regressing, or change of coordinators (no lil shanny).......remains to be seen
Old 09-29-2010   #13
Silver&Blue94
noob

There isn't a thing wrong with Schaub. You guys got a elite QB, who I think can take you all to the big dance eventually.
Silver&Blue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Agree. It's still Kubiak's offense, but I'm sure there are some differences between Kyle & Dennison. Some of his slow performance could be from learning a slightly new offense.
Yeah, you mean like the running game?
Old 09-29-2010   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver&Blue94 View Post
There isn't a thing wrong with Schaub. You guys got a elite QB, who I think can take you all to the big dance eventually.
We're not quite ready to go "elite"......yet, but thanks for the kind words!
Old 09-29-2010   #16
JB
Old Curmudgeon

Rep Power: 126281 JB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respectedJB is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yeah, you mean like the running game?
What? Like the fact that we actually have one makes a difference?
Brain Cushing
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #17
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 30074 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worried about Matt at all.

However, I have lost sleep about OD. Something isn't right there. He's not the same player he used to be. I'm worried.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #18
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm more worried about the O-line. They've looked terrible so far this year.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #19
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately, I had to vote yes. I have thought the same thing a couple of times. I've noticed his passes coming up short and really off target at times. I'm talking so off target your going "WTF was that?". Hopefully it's just a timing thing and communication with the receivers. I could be wrong, but don't most top QBs work with their receivers in the off season (on their own time) to keep that rhythm and timing down? You always hear about QBs & WRs who have that unspoken communication where they can just anticipate what the other is going to be doing. I don't think we're there yet, for whatever reason. Hopefully they can get that squared away and fast. We have a really good shot this year, but only if our offense is at least as potent as it was last year.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #20
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I'm more worried about the O-line. They've looked terrible so far this year.
I have to agree with you there. I don't see how we could improve on the run blocking, but regress so far on the pass blocking. We needed to take a step forward on both. It's not like they "forgot" how to pass block, so I'm wondering how much of it is the scheme from Dennison (if it's any different) or calling the wrong play at the wrong time.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read