Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-29-2010   #1
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Barber replaces Wilson at safety for Texans

Coach Kubiak said at the end of last season that he thought Barber might be poised to lock down the starting job at FS for the long-term. Well, now he is going to have a chance to show if he is ready to do that.

Quote:
Barber replaces Wilson at safety for Texans

Dominique Barber will start at free safety for the Texans against the Raiders on Sunday.

Barber is replacing Eugene Wilson, who suffered a hamstring injury in the 27-13 loss to Dallas.

Barber, who is in his third season out of the University of Minnesota, can play both safety positions.

Also on the injury front, wide receiver Andre Johnson says he plans to play but that his sprained right ankle is still sore and on a day-to-day status.
MojoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #2
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Barber replaces Wilson at safety for Texans

Not trying to be a goober but source?
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #3
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11949 MojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respectedMojoMan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The link is in the OP. Click on the title of the article in the quote box.
Old 09-29-2010   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Click on the highlighted link.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #5
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/7223762.html
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I'm not convinced he'll be any better, but at least Kubiak is putting guys on trial for bad play, so two thumbs up.

I'd rather see Nolan get a shot, but we'll wait and see.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #7
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay....

It's a start. I just remember the Barber experiment last year didn't go that well.

Maybe another year in the system will have helped? Heck, if nothing else, he has two good wheels. That's an instant improvement.

Did he see time against the Cowboys after Wilson tweaked the hammy? If so, how did he look?
Old 09-29-2010   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Click on the highlighted link.
Lol just noticed this a second after I posted
Old 09-29-2010   #9
BIG TORO 
TERADACTYL #23

Section: Bull Pen!
Rep Power: 17947 BIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respectedBIG TORO is a quality contributor and well respected

Well ask and you shall recieve; I guess Kubiak was on Texans Talk today.

Sig Courtesy of False Start
BIG TORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd rather see Nolan in there.

I understand that the Texans want to "go about things the right way" and all, but at some point you just gotta say screw it and put the guys on the field that have shown they can make plays...

That goes for anyone...I don't care what your name is or where you were drafted...

Hopefully Barber surprises me. I think he is a good player, but I just think Nolan is better. Nolan seems to be more instinctive and the better athlete...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

As bad as Eugene Wilson has been, I don't even know if Barber is as good as that. I have a bad feeling our secondary problems aren't going to go away if we don't have a monster pass rush.
Old 09-29-2010   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:

Goober!

Anywho, Wilson's seen his better days.
Old 09-29-2010   #13
mariowillshine15
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2512 mariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respectedmariowillshine15 is a quality contributor and well respected

I do remember Barber being able to take back a INT in the opener vs. the Jets last year.

If he can hang on the to the few INT chances we have it's an upgrade.
mariowillshine15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #14
MojoMan
Hall of Fame

Coach Kubiak expressed a great deal of confidence in Barber shortly after the end of last season in a press conference. He suggested that Barber might be poised to establish himself as the long-term answer at free safety for the Texans.

Of course, this is just a week-to-week opportunity for Barber. But my point is that Kubiak apparently believes that Barber may well have what it takes to be a starting free safety in the NFL.

Now he will have a chance to prove it, one way or the other.
Old 09-29-2010   #15
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Coach Kubiak expressed a great deal of confidence in Barber shortly after the end of last season in a press conference. He suggested that Barber might be poised to establish himself as the long-term answer at free safety for the Texans.

Of course, this is just a week-to-week opportunity for Barber. But my point is that Kubiak apparently believes that Barber may well have what it takes to be a starting free safety in the NFL.

I'm down with trying anything at this point but wouldn't it be great if he was the FS answer? I'm not sold on it because of last year, but hey, I can always be wrong.
Old 09-29-2010   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I'd rather see Nolan in there.

I understand that the Texans want to "go about things the right way" and all, but at some point you just gotta say screw it and put the guys on the field that have shown they can make plays...

That goes for anyone...I don't care what your name is or where you were drafted...

Hopefully Barber surprises me. I think he is a good player, but I just think Nolan is better. Nolan seems to be more instinctive and the better athlete...
I think it might be too soon to make those kind of judgements of Nolan. I also think they prefer to use him closer to the line of scrimmage rather than asking him to cover deep 1/3s and 1/2s. Its just easier on a young player.

Barber struggled mightily at the beginning of last year and thankfully was benched. He was better when he replaced Wilson later in the year but still shaky. I don't think he's good enough to be a starter on a great defense but this defense isn't that right now anyways.

For me, with this latest development, I'm a little upset with Rick Smith. I remember after the draft him saying he felt really good about our safety position. Yes Wilson was a good solution to Barber's bad play last year, but good enough to be the annointed FS heading into camp? I think Rick's a good GM and a good GM should've seen around this corner. We're now playing with smoke and mirrors at free safety. And don't get me started on the defensive end position after Mario and Antonio.
Old 09-29-2010   #17
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariowillshine15 View Post
I do remember Barber being able to take back a INT in the opener vs. the Jets last year.

If he can hang on the to the few INT chances we have it's an upgrade.
Busing made that Int but he fumbled. Dominique took that fumble to the house. He made an Int vs. the Rams when he intercepted an awful throw by Keith Null.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think it might be too soon to make those kind of judgements of Nolan.
I didn't make any judgment about Nolan other than stating that I thought he was better than Barber. I did say that he has shown he can make plays...That's not a judgment, that's a fact...

Quote:
I also think they prefer to use him closer to the line of scrimmage rather than asking him to cover deep 1/3s and 1/2s. Its just easier on a young player
I don't. Makes no sense to constantly play your FS close to the LOS in passing situations. What makes you think they prefer to do that when there is no evidence of that?
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember correctly Dominique Barber was raved on by the coaches as a 6th round pick we got in the trade down for Duane Brown also getting Slaton. Barber was to be the prototype swing safety to be used either side. He should really try to make good use of this last chance. Hopefully, he is 100% healthy.
Old 09-29-2010   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's not like he has much of a choice but to believe.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read